FIAT

What a Truck, my dad used to drive one of these for a Manchester Refrigerated firm called Andrews and Bond, doing Ireland and Europe ( Rungis Market and Geest In Holland mainly). They were so spacious unlike the Scania and Volvo, really good truck and could motor. My Dad told me he left Dublin Sat Afternoon, Tipped Rungis Sun Night, Loaded In Holland ( Amsterdam I think) Monday and tipped Liverpool Fruit Market Tuesday Mornin!!! It flew !!! These were in the 70s heyday of course, couldnt do it now.

Can you notice anyhting strange ?

Especially with this one :

Does the one next to the Fiat look familiar ?

They,re Italian right hookers…not that uncommon in the 8o’s (cant comment on the 70’s cos i didnt start Euro stuff until 1980). Apparently it was something to do with makeing it easier for them to drive over the high mountain passes (Mont Cenis etc)!!

The idea was that the driver could see the edge of the road. I had a Swiss Berna RHD. ( Rubbish ) :unamused:
(Above is one of three Steyrs that I had. That snap was taken near Irun.) Good trucks,all V8’s.

sMARTEN IT UP A BIT.

Also a FIAT wot I drove. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry, I was just going to edit my post with a foot note saying “im sure Harry will be along to explain it”!!!

And as if by magic!!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

And another one.RHD. Lovely,I was towing the Scania & he was LHD! :unamused:
Thats me ,by the way ,in the middle showing how big it was. :laughing:
I towed Tony Sullivan from Macon to Calais. A bit hairy on the old Peripherique! :laughing:

harry: That A-frame trailer has very interesting axle configuration. Tyre wear must’ve been quite huge with that one axle sitting just in the middle of chassis. :smiley:

bob carter who ran trans uk which did the middle east used to swear by them fiats, he thought they were a lot better than the f88s which he also ran, i dont thinki have my pics of them with me but kw has put them on topruns site

Kyrbo No way ! The truck & the trailer were front & rear steering. There was a figure of 8 cable that went around the front & rear turntables. Very handy for going around tight bends.And for reversing in a straight line you could lock the draw bar on the trailer.The big problem was that the truck had no spring brakes! When you got low on air a buzzer would sound & a lever would slowly rise on the dash. When the air had gone so had the brakes! It was really a warning to jump out if you were going down a mountain. :laughing: