new car

Just looking around for deals involving the £2000 scrappage , i’m after a small car just for work and back (prob 100 miles per week).
something along the panda/picanto lines is big enough. anyone who has a small newish car let me know any probs you had with them and anything i should look out for on a particular model etc. Looking to spend about £5000 after scrappage deal :wink:
thanks

FIAT PANDA :bulb: :question:

you just buy a brand new car , you pay the vat - drive it out the door - it has just devalued itself by 15%. Am i the only cynic of the scrappage deal :confused:

IMO - the ‘deal’ is only good for those that were going to get a new car in the first place and had an old one to get rid of

ROG:
FIAT PANDA :bulb: :question:

The new Fiat Panda is actually a very good car, depreciation is less than on some bigger cars, and it’s fast becoming a cult car. Having said that, I wouldn’t want one :open_mouth:

Tiger.

googled for a list of new cras in the uk under £7,000 and found this -
carpages.co.uk/car-prices/ca … 7000-1.asp
Don’t know if they are in the scrappage scheme though…

found a site that gives the listings for those in the scheme along with the prices -
motoring.co.uk/new_car_searc … ppage=true

hi ho hi ho its off to bullys we go…well once the MODS/ADMIN come off the sun bathing deck prob at about 8pm having sipped beer and cocktails all day rounded off by a BBQ cooked by their 50 staff onboard the TNUK 200ft super luxury yacht, moored just off the coast of monaco :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

On topic the £2000 you get does not even cover the amount you loose as soon as you drive it out the showroom!!! only works if you were going to buy a new car anyway as someone else said :exclamation: :unamused: :confused: :confused:

One thing that makes me cynical about the car scrap thing is will you really save any money.

My mate went to a buy a car a few years ago new, all set to get it when he wanted to just pay for the car outright the great deals he was getting offered vanished because the salesman and company make money from HP and finance.

So when he was paying cash they couldnt give him such a good deal, wonder if it will be the same since getting £2K off thats money out their pockets, so maybe find ok get £2K but your paying more for the car anyways since they won’t offer you the good deals.

Plus as well think its a nonsence you can either afford a new car or you can’t, all these people that have lost their jobs they won’t be buying a new car, so only really benifits people in a steady job who prob dont need help anyways. All it will do is cost the tax payers in long run prob after the next election when they next government has to pay this back and end up with tax increases across the board.

Saying that i heard of someone buying a Vauxhall Corsa in December brand new, they werent looking to buy a new car, but the discount and deal they got made it worth their while.

I have a 15 year old Volvo so do qualify for the scrappage scheme. I searched around and the government only give you a grand, the rest is made up from dealer and manufacturer bonuses.

I think you would do better to sell the old car for what it is worth on Ebay, then go to a car supermarket and buy something that has already been devalued.

You could get a good low mileage car for a lot less than £3,000, sell your old one private and save some money, If your only doing 100 miles a week.

gezt:
Just looking around for deals involving the £2000 scrappage , i’m after a small car just for work and back (prob 100 miles per week).
something along the panda/picanto lines is big enough. anyone who has a small newish car let me know any probs you had with them and anything i should look out for on a particular model etc. Looking to spend about £5000 after scrappage deal :wink:
thanks

my advice,whatever you go for,its a buyers market at the minute,barter the dealers for a good deal.even play two dealers off against each other.the scrappage scheme works by the goverment giving you a grand and the manufacturer making up the rest.where DEALERS were doing there own deals,they have just put prices back up to rrp,to compensate for the scrappage scheme.
like has been mentioned,it was only any good to people who were running an old car,on its last legs,and were going to buy a new car anyway.
i think wheelnut is right,sell your old car privatley,and buy an ex demo or slightly used.

pecjam23:
hi ho hi ho its off to bullys we go…well once the MODS/ADMIN come off the sun bathing deck prob at about 8pm having sipped beer and cocktails all day rounded off by a BBQ cooked by their 50 staff onboard the TNUK 200ft super luxury yacht, moored just off the coast of monaco :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Aye right!

If you need a new car it might be worth it, but used is safer in my opinion. I drive an 18 year old ford sierra 1.8 and it gets over 45mpg on the motorway, will do over a ton, and costs me an average of £300 a year (maintenance) to keep on the road (I could do it cheaper but I prefer to hand it to my regular garage who do it and the MOT while I’m tramping). I only paid £360 for it 5 years ago, and it runs well so why waste my money on anything else ? I’ve seen x reg cars going for 3,500 on forecourts - they must be kidding.

Just bought a Silver 02 Nissan Micra with the 1000cc engine (bomb proof) exellent condition 12months mot, 4 new tyres, full service history for…£1600!!! Cheap Tax and insurance it cost me £600 per year (fully Comp) for insurance and that is with 2 L drivers who are only 18.
An absolute bargin, if you want to chuck the hard earned readies away then buy a new car, as other people have said the scrappage scheme is a waste of time.

well i did need a new car cos my old one was about dead and cost more an more to get a mot. soooooo after reading here and stuff it seems a hyundai i10 ebest buy, all round disc brakes/air con etc etc against a panda/picanta it seems best car and i get all for 5 grand on the road.
hopefully it will do the job for me.
thanks for advice guys