Fellow trampers ideas please

i,ve been tramping for 3 yrs now. i cook in the cab 2 to 3 nights a week but am honestly zb off with stir fry,pasta,tinned curry chile etc i do,nt have a microwave but have considered buying one of those little ovens.so 2 questions are those small ovens any good and secondly any alternatives you can think of to those mentioned before cheers :smiley:

those little ovens are ok but very slow about 40 mins to cook a ready meal, you’ve got to get a microwave so much choice cooked so quick. from £100 if you don’t have a external power source you can run them from your batteries like jump leads, you won’t regret it

Tortilla wraps are a great meal, not hot but summer is coming, i’m living on them just now, some chicken and some random sauces they do fill you up.

Get a inverter and a £30 microwave.

Get a inverter and a £30 microwave. i use a small gas cooker too

My favourite is a soft boiled egg, then you get a soft roll put your knife in the side and hollow it out just leaving about a 2 inch slot in the side,squeeze the egg in the roll, then insert the knife and cut the egg madly so the yolk runs everywhere !!(inside it), sprinkle some salt in and stir/mash up some more !!!
Tinned new potatoes, tinned veg and tinned stewing steak also work well, you just have to clean out two pans !!
I know this is not the question you asked but at decent truckstops/cafe you can get a full meal that even the fattest fella would struggle to eat for around £5, times that by 4 and thats £20, a week. How come you’re cooking in the cab so often? Are you looking to save money or are you having no choice where you night out i.e stop where you are and make do?

When I was tramping years ago :unamused: the microwave was really expencive now you can get them a bit cheeper.
With the summer ha ha comming get a small BBQ Gas one and pick up some fresh stuff to cook mushrooms onions bit of beef etc.
I had a small tarp I would attach to the front to make an awning sittin under that in the evening was quiet nice.
Deck chair out small table like camping was so nice up on the moors near the lake in a layby mmmmmm the old days eh :wink:

you make what you can out of what you have. you can always do a throw it in the pan job and flask some up for the next days lunch.

Now summer is here :unamused: ,you could also try a disposable barbecue.you can do chops,steak,sausages,burgers on them.
I parked up near Perth a couple of years ago.Got a couple of chops on the barbie,cooking nicely.Police car pulls in behind me, copper gets out and comes up to me,smiling.They’d had a report from a passing motorist of smoke coming from under the truck :laughing: :laughing:

Agree with Mr.B,the small ovens are slow and if an element goes,you can’t get replacements.Microwave is the best way to go.

Aye but try putting a scotch pie or a bridie in a microwave. Get that wee oven out of tebay for £15. 7 mins preheat, 7 mins one one side, flip it and 7 mins the other side= piping hot pie that isn’t all soggy like it is out a microwave.

Not saying I ever done it cough but you could always plug the cooker in and pre heat it and put the pie in for the first 7 minutes when you’re still on the motorway then park up and do the rest. I would never leave home without that wee cooker. Out of everything I’ve bought for the truck (kettle etc) it’s the only thing that hasn’t burnt out or blown up.

get a trailer box
or go to cafe
next time you see a Turk :smiley: they’ll put you right

tony66:

You would a bloody great inverter to run a decent microwave…
I was talking to someone the other day about it and they were saying you would need an inverter thats 1 and half times the power of the mirowave at least, if not 2 times the power.

Although I do have tinned meats etc in truck I try to make the effort and cook something decent for evening meals.
Gammon Egg and meatballs,Rump Steak egg and salad, I always pop into a sainsbury’s or one of the other supermarkets and have a look.
I cook all my food on a gas stove and in the summer will be seen to have a few disposable BBQ’s on board, So if you see me pop over and join me for a shrimp on the Barbie!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

take 1 very large potato, it’s got to be a biggun.
chop it in half width ways, take a spoon and scoop out some spud from both halves,
crack an egg in one half, put some beans, butter and garlic in the other half,
push the 2 halves together and hold in place with 4 used match sticks, cook it, then eat it.
yummy.

BuzzardBoy:

tony66:

You would a bloody great inverter to run a decent microwave…
I was talking to someone the other day about it and they were saying you would need an inverter thats 1 and half times the power of the mirowave at least, if not 2 times the power.

the bloke you were talking to, is talking out of his rear end,
a 1000 watt invertor will power most microwaves without a grill.

A couple of our drivers use a slow cooker - they will work quite happily on a 600W inverter.

Personally, I use gas or in the summer a chuck away barbecue.

Here are a couple of things I cook:

Tuna or shellfish in tomatoe sauce with spaghetti

Small tin of tomato frito (passata)
Tin tuna / shellfish
Olive oil
Dried chilli flakes
Dried garlic powder

Put the frito into a saucepan and add a little olive oil and some chilli flakes and dried garlic and fry off for a couple of minutes, then add the fish and heat through till hot.

Cook and drain the spaghetti and tip the sauce over it.

Patatas pobres (poor mans potatoes)

Couple of medium sized spuds peed and chopped - par boil till nearly done. If you cut em small it uses less gas too.

in a big pan add olive oil, chopped onions, chopped garlic, sliced chorizo and cooked peppers fry off until the onion and garlic is soft, then add the potatoes stir and fry of a little more. Eat with nice crusty bread and a can of San Miguel.

Magro con tomate (Pork with tomatoes)

Cover the bottom of a saucepan with olive oil and add 500g cubed pork, belly is good and fry off. Then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a bay leaf. Bring to boil then simmer for about 40 minutes or until the liquid has reduced right down - eat with crusty bread and another san miguel.

Baked potato, wrap several times in tin foil and place on exhaust manifold about an hour before your due to stop.

Had an oven, it lasted 3 years til the element went so i bought a microwave. Not a patch on the oven i thought. The food was piping hot in one small part and stone cold in the rest of it. So i bought another oven and i wouldn’t be without it. Yes it takes around 40 mins but the food is cooked properly. Even gives a nice crispy crust on the mash on top of sheperds pies. Pop your food in and when you’re about 40mins from parking up just turn the dial and it’ll be ready for you.

Lidls chinese noodles,with chicken in white sauce,or when low on supplies,noodles with corned beef,rice pudding.The foreign lads have got trailer box cooking down to a fine art,puts us all to shame,with culinary odours drifting around the docks,wafts of garlic and meats of various kinds,they have fridges on the trailer boxes,with room to store beer and wine,most of the time they will invite you to join in and eat with them.Us lot with the pot noodles.!!

Big Joe:
Baked potato, wrap several times in tin foil and place on exhaust manifold about an hour before your due to stop.

pmsl haha great idea !

Pot noodle every day of the week. sorted :smiley: