Back to Tramping/Any Good Grub ideas?

Been with my current employer 4 months now doing container work and been doing day work , I start tramping on Monday and whilst I have been digging out the tramping gear it suddenly dawned on me that I can;t remember what food I used to take apart from the usual pot noodles beans etc ,

Anyone got any good ideas for quick snacks or meals when on the move :wink:

PS Obviously being a container driver time is not an issue so If you have any three course meal menus I have time to cook it :laughing: :laughing: (JOKE)

Fresh pasta rools ok. :wink:

(With tubs of various sauces, those stir-in things, tuna, ready-cooked chicken, ham, pork, whatever you wanna chuck in really)

Oh, and paninis with whatever filling you fancy rool too.

Ps. I say fresh pasta because a) it tastes a lot nicer and b) it cooks in 5 minutes.

I will stick some on mi list Lucy sounds a good idea that one ?

I am starting to look lorry driver shape now(puts tin hat on) so got to be careful.

apples mate, eat them when you feel peckish instead of chocolate bars, iā€™m weining myself off chocolate and onto fruit at the moment. the ther thing is buy a microwave makes life so much easier and gives you more options with your weekly shoppng.

wirralpete:
apples mate, eat them when you feel peckish instead of chocolate bars, iā€™m weining myself off chocolate and onto fruit at the moment. the ther thing is buy a microwave makes life so much easier and gives you more options with your weekly shoppng.

Cheers Wirralpete if I have a in inverter in mi new cab 300 watts will I be able to run a small microwave off it.

no mate you would need a bigger inverter i think, mine is the 24 volt microwave that i got off ebay for Ā£60, fairly new just plugged straight into the connecter in the middle locker of my xf so not the best person to ask when it comes to inverters and the likeā€¦ :smiley:

As Lucy has said Pasta is brilliant energy food and cooks so quickly.
Plus if you make too much just put it in a zip lok bag (carry some of them too) and you can put some grated cheese on it and have it for your lunch.

Tins of new potatoes are great, they cook in 4 mins in a pan and they donā€™t taste bad. Plus they are about 12p a tin so doesnā€™t break the bank.

Instead of buying big chicken breasts at the supermarket get the tiny ones cut into strips. They are far cheaper (got a pack for Ā£1.45 yesterday) and thereā€™s enough for two meals (or three if you donā€™t eat like a pig as I do) plus they cook a lot quicker in the pan.

Bananas are my snack food of choice, more of an energy food than chocolate and better for you.

Oh andā€¦although I hate to mention this, if you dare venture into poundland then you can get packs of bottled water at 6 (might be 12) for a quid. Which always goes down well.

ermā€¦thats my tips done I think!

Alex

Bottled own label water is around 17p for a 2 litre bottle at asda, morrisons etc.
the finest stuff as well ā€¦ bottled in yorkshire (shepley, huddersfield)

Tinned fruit and cereal for brekkies. Them pots of rice pudding for dinner, donā€™t usually eat in the middle of the day and Wetherspoons of an evening if poss for a mixed grill :smiley:

peirre:
Bottled own label water is around 17p for a 2 litre bottle at asda, morrisons etc.

Their branded stuff goes under the name of ā€œIce Valleyā€ :slight_smile:

As you asked about exercise on another thread, how about walking to a cafe - fed/watered/exercised all in one go.

Tin of Tuna now and thenā€¦you put oil in ya truck donā€™t ya?

howatsi:

peirre:

Their branded stuff goes under the name of ā€œIce Valleyā€ :slight_smile:

whats wrong with tap water? :open_mouth: and its free

I have to confess to using bottled water after suffering one too many stomach bugs from either dodgy taps which turned out not to be drinking water or bottles which had been used too many times and harboured too many hidden nasties (happens surprisingly quickly). I guess itā€™s a bigger deal for me than most given the potential consequences, but even someone with basically normal health can only cope with so many nights with stomach crampsā€¦never mind what comes after. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i agree on pasta too, and a tinned curry and fresh rice, smash and beans, soup, cerial for breky, fruit or biscuits for nibbles, packets of noodles, or anything i can boil lol nowt wrong with tap water as long as you boil it if get dodgy stomachs oh and some cordial.

as long as you boil it

Thereā€™s your problem. By the time youā€™ve paid for gas cans to boil it all a litre at a time, then sat about waiting for it to cool again, you may as well just buy the ā– ā– ā– ā–  water and be done with! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: