Healthy eating while tramping

Just thought I’d put it out there and get a rough idea what you guys all eat while out on the road for a week… Living out of services and truck stops isn’t good for my health or my wallet lol, anyone got any decent suggestions as to what can be made on the road, not got a microwave or anything, got the usual cool box, stove and kettle…

Any gordon ramsays out there fancy sharing some recipes :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I’m not a big fan of cab cooking. However I have tins of soup and a bag of pasta with Lloyd Grossman pouches of sauce at the ready should I end up needing to sort myself out.

Most tins of soup are low in fat as to are those warburtons thins. A tin of soup with 2 or 3 thins is sufficient I find if your looking for a quick and easy meal that’s low in fat. Pasta isn’t bad either and again easy and quick to knock up.

I wouldn’t start going down the route of knocking up stir frys in the cab personally but they’re also healthy and quick to knock up. It’d obviously mean that you’d have to fill your fridge with all the meat & veg needed.

For a healthy lunch under a fiver at services. Go to the marks & spencer and get a pot of salad with a pack of ready to eat chicken. Again low in fat and a better option than a Burger King or a ginsters meal deal

Fill your cool box with tomatoes, bag of salad, eggs, cold meats, coleslaw and such like. Yogurts (plain Greek to be really healthy. Not bad if you throw in some blueberries). Fill your cupboards with tinned soups, (I can recommend Baxter’s pea and ham :stuck_out_tongue: ), tinned fish and get yourself a frying pan and a saucepan.

Easy enough to make a 4 egg omelette. Ideal with some cold ham and tomatoes and green salad. Soups, get the ones which include 1 or 2 of your 5 a day. I’m happy enough to heat a tin and throw in some tinned mackerel and a handful of salad or whatever needs using from the fridge. Pile it all in, you can get some half decent stews going.

Does your missus do a Sunday dinner? Take any surplus - veg, stuffing, tater’s, the lot - beautiful bubble and squeak to enjoy on a Monday night with the cold meat from the joint.

Make sure you get some condiments. Salt, pepper, salad dressing, red/brown sauce to liven up your dinners.

Plenty of fruit too. Easy snack to eat on the go. Bag of mixed nuts if you’re really healthy. Cereal for breakfast to get you going. It’s just browsing the supermarket and finding what’s easy to prepare in one pan

Also you can get some fairly healthy ‘pot’ meals from Asda if you want a hot feed (services have to give you hot water if you ask), and if you’re stuck without your food stash some services have M&S or Subways at them :slight_smile:

A wok is all you need. Stir fry is the way forwards, you can buy premade veg, noodles and sauce from the supermarket, paired with ready to eat chicken that you can just heat through.
Tortellini boils nice in a wok, drain with plate, pour over little pot of sauce and reheat over low heat.
Any one pot recipe is doable, I also use the wok as a washing up bowl too :wink:

Tinned new potatoes ,tinned savoury mince and a tin of garden peas,old school cab snap :grimacing:

seth 70:
Tinned new potatoes ,tinned savoury mince and a tin of garden peas,old school cab snap :grimacing:

You know you have just given away most of the sacred recipe for camion stew, only known to a select few- luckily you didn’t give away the secret ingredient- the unnamed tin that had lost its wrapper so no-one knew what it was - but the contents were thrown in the saucepan anyway for good measure

Ryvitas - plain, with a mug of water. Nothing more, nothing less…

I know a cracking Hester Blominthal recipe you can knock up quite quickly.
First you need to find a dead badger…

Sliced pork chops stir fried in pan then buck in a savoury rice packet or a mushroom risotto rice packet/tin of petit pois peas or sweetcorn/good pinch of chilli powder and “fill your boots”!!!

If you need to use a microwave, most motorway services have them set up for baby food.

I’ve never seen anyone actually use them for that, but if you’re parked up overnight, nip in while everything’s quiet and the shops are closed and use it. I always leave it clean, never been told off by the overnight staff.

Bag of microwave rice (uncle bens, Tilda, etc) and a tin of Mackrel fillets. Hot food in 2 minutes, costs £2 a go and is a pretty healthy option. You’d be surprised at how many roadies swear by the fish and rice diet!

I occasionally use Subway and Mcd’s, I’ve got a fridge and microwave, so usually have a couple of chilled ready meals on me. Other than that I have a storage container full of tins, soup, beans & sausage etc, pouch of rice and a canned curry if there’s a loo handy. Can pick up tins of Goblin stews or hotpots for 59p, these can be padded out with a tin of potatoes, peas, mushrooms etc, I always have a pot of pepper and chilli powder to liven stuff up a bit too. I’ve resisted taking my stove and pan with me as A) it’s a faff, B) I already carry too much gear without having to take washing up gear and C) a Greggs bacon and sausage bap is only £2.20

Pot Noodles are handy to carry for when you just can’t be arsed.

Hammy747:
If you need to use a microwave, most motorway services have them set up for baby food.

I’ve never seen anyone actually use them for that, but if you’re parked up overnight, nip in while everything’s quiet and the shops are closed and use it. I always leave it clean, never been told off by the overnight staff.

Bag of microwave rice (uncle bens, Tilda, etc) and a tin of Mackrel fillets. Hot food in 2 minutes, costs £2 a go and is a pretty healthy option. You’d be surprised at how many roadies swear by the fish and rice diet!

You don’t really need a microwave for them Uncle Ben’s. Add a drop of water and heat on your stove. 2 minutes again.

why do a lot of drivers have this aversion to in cab cooking? if you vent the cab there is little or no smell, and it is much cheaper than anything roadside.

my main evening meals when I was nighting out was a soup/stew type of thing.

only place I have been where healthy was healthy was harrys truckstop in Greece the salads were amazing.

Poundstretcher has John West rice pouches for 49p. Just chuck em in a pan n heat, no need for water/oil etc. along with a tinned korma, and a mini naan, quick Indian in 5 ,minutes :grimacing:

Also have tins of stews/mince/etc to have with tinned potatoes, carrots, peas. Or have a pot of smash and use the juices from your veg to whip up quick mashed spud.

Pot noodles for lazy days, and always have bread in cab so I can knock up toast.

Soups, beans n sausage, all day breakfast for an alternative meal.

Cereals too, always have milk.

Rikki-UK:

seth 70:

You know you have just given away most of the sacred recipe for camion stew, only known to a select few- luckily you didn’t give away the secret ingredient- the unnamed tin that had lost its wrapper so no-one knew what it was - but the contents were thrown in the saucepan anyway for good measure

Great memories Rikki :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

dafdave:

Rikki-UK:

seth 70:

Great memories Rikki :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

Another favourite of mine is wrestlers tinned ham burgers in onion gravy,6 slices of cheap white bread and its fit for a king,Rikki,that unnamed tin was always pineapple rings or fruit salad that was very sickly :laughing:

Michael Douglas:
Ryvitas - plain, with a mug of water. Nothing more, nothing less…

Or…homemade meat and potato pie,roasties,mash,cauliflower cheese,cabage and carrots for 4 quid.

You can make nice chicken wraps to ready to eat chicken but of cheese and mayo(salad if you eat it). Pre made chilli at home taken in frozen was good book in the bag rice less then a quid in supermarkets.
Since I stopped tramping I’ve put on 1.5 stone since October :imp: I used to take decent snap and have a meal out once or twice a week. I’d eat in the cab and walk to the pub or go pub and have chippy after depending on how long I had to sleep it off.

Normally have weetabix for brekkies, packet of couscous for lunch with mackerel fillets mashed up in, and either chilli or chicken at the start of the week (fresh from home), or a tin mash up towards the end of the week. Still managing to put on weight though :frowning: