Food for thought

Afternoon ladies and gents, have my first full week out tramping next week and am looking for a bit of advice in regards to food, I’ve done a couple of nights out before but not for the full week, the truck I’m taking does not have a fridge or microwave in it so it’s not just as easy as stocking up on microwave meals, the previous driver of it had put their own bits in but, has now left and taken them out, I do have boiling water though, and don’t fancy takeaway or McDonalds etc every night, any recommendations for a “good meal” that are just add water? I know there is pot noodles, supernoodles and that sort of stuff but, has anyone come across the good stuff that will fill a hole and keep you going…

I always…

Kept one or two Vesta meals in the food stash when I tramped.

No idea if they’re still around these days.

VxRussell:
Afternoon ladies and gents, have my first full week out tramping next week and am looking for a bit of advice in regards to food, I’ve done a couple of nights out before but not for the full week, the truck I’m taking does not have a fridge or microwave in it so it’s not just as easy as stocking up on microwave meals, the previous driver of it had put their own bits in but, has now left and taken them out, I do have boiling water though, and don’t fancy takeaway or McDonalds etc every night, any recommendations for a “good meal” that are just add water? I know there is pot noodles, supernoodles and that sort of stuff but, has anyone come across the good stuff that will fill a hole and keep you going…

Why not just park somewhere with facilities, or ind est near a town… instead of eating crap like pot ■■■■ noodles… :bulb:

VxRussell:

Before sleeping or 2-3hours before sleeping must not eat nothing.But for all rest can buy gas cooker ,flask and you will independent from Kfc,services.

robroy:

VxRussell:

Why not just park somewhere with facilities, or ind est near a town… instead of eating crap like pot [zb] noodles… :bulb:

Running around the north and east coast of Scotland we are not so lucky to have services, you are lucky to get a good layby :smiley:

Andrejs:

VxRussell:

Before sleeping or 2-3hours before sleeping must not eat nothing.But for all rest can buy gas cooker ,flask and you will independent from Kfc,services.

Ah yes, I didn’t think about the gas stoves, cheers for that!

That’s all you use, gas stove one pan and cutlery. There’s plenty of places to buy meat veg etc, even motorway services have M&S Waitrose etc…

Asda do a half descent plug in good size cool box .And as said get a gas stove,That will sort you out for now .Forget pot noodle :confused:

VxRussell:

robroy:

VxRussell:

Why not just park somewhere with facilities, or ind est near a town… instead of eating crap like pot [zb] noodles… :bulb:

Running around the north and east coast of Scotland we are not so lucky to have services, you are lucky to get a good layby :smiley:

I never park in services mate.
Also Ive done a fair bit of Scotch in my time and never parked in a lay by there either…don’ t think you’re looking hard enough. :unamused:
Where abouts specifically are we on about here?

Edit…sorry mate just noticed your o/p, seen you’ve only been at it a week, I know a few places in North Scot, get in touch if you’re stuck anytime.
Rob.

robroy:

VxRussell:

robroy:

VxRussell:

I never park in services mate.
Also Ive done a fair bit of Scotch in my time and never parked in a lay by there either…don’ t think you’re looking hard enough. :unamused:
Where abouts specifically are we on about here?

Edit…sorry mate just noticed your o/p, seen you’ve only been at it a week, I know a few places in North Scot, get in touch if you’re stuck anytime.
Rob.

Running along the coast between Inverness and Peter head for the first two I’m sure, one of the runs is Huntly to Stirling which is fine get back up as far as Perth for the night but, that first one I’m not so certain about for stops etc, I’ll go invest in one of those gas stoves and a cool box for keeping some bits in, cheers Rob!

Before I had a microwave I had and still have my trusty gas stove, wouldn’t leave the yard without it! If you get a coolbox stock up with salads, coleslaw and cooked meats then cans of new potatoes and vegs such as carrots, they’re very tasty and only take a couple of mins on the stove. Healthy and tasty imo.
Oh yeah…don’t forget to leave room in the coolbox for beer!! [emoji3]

Suitcase stove, one pan, kettle… And then get yourself one of those ‘Ridgemonkey XL’s’… :sunglasses:

Then, if you’re on Facebook, look up the ‘trucking chef’ group, or IICRC, the ‘hungry carper’…

*Shop around for the Ridgemonkeys… Got mine with the little utensils and free P&P for £19.99. Was the cheapest around I found from Angling Direct… :sunglasses:

Goldfinger:
Suitcase stove, one pan, kettle… And then get yourself one of those ‘Ridgemonkey XL’s’… :sunglasses:

Then, if you’re on Facebook, look up the ‘trucking chef’ group, or IICRC, the ‘hungry carper’…

*Shop around for the Ridgemonkeys… Got mine with the little utensils and free P&P for £19.99. Was the cheapest around I found from Angling Direct… :sunglasses:

Ridgemonkey on sale in Go Outdoors for £10 just now!, ideal, joined those two groups, thank you for the tips…

nomiS36:
Before I had a microwave I had and still have my trusty gas stove, wouldn’t leave the yard without it! If you get a coolbox stock up with salads, coleslaw and cooked meats then cans of new potatoes and vegs such as carrots, they’re very tasty and only take a couple of mins on the stove. Healthy and tasty imo.
Oh yeah…don’t forget to leave room in the coolbox for beer!! [emoji3]

Save the beers for coming home Friday! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Heinz spring vegetable soup with croutons,heated in a microwave in a plastic microwave proof bowl,little salt,bloody tasty

truckman020:
Heinz spring vegetable soup with croutons,heated in a microwave in a plastic microwave proof bowl,little salt,bloody tasty

No microwave fitted in the truck, said that on the opener :slight_smile:

I’ve never struggled to eat well in Scotland or park up not anywhere infact I look forward to it . I’ve done plenty of Inverness trips ,Ullapool ,north coast ,east coast ,eaten in the Ben loyal at tongue and other fine dining establishments including cafes n truckstops .

Curry last night,chilli tonight(courtesy of the ridgemonkey xl)
Then takeaway/pub all the way :sunglasses:

I take thins / rolls / salad / tins s&b salmon / tins tuna/ cartons orange / pineapple juice / activa yogs / natural yogs
heathy stuff ,
and just have a treat normally on a Thurs night .but not from a bloody kebab place , I’ve never ate one but it just sounds like 1,000,s calories to me

Yeah, I know it cant be easy these days where there are so few truck parks in town, but remember, after a long day at work youre entitled to sit down somewhere and eat a decent meal or what the hell is it all about?
The cooking in the cab with tins of food lark must surely be for those times where you can`t find anywhere decent.