Food for thought

I also keep pasta,a tin of tuna and a dolmio …for emergencies.

If your that far up you will never be stuck for a decent parking place once you know your way around, and now the warmer weather is on its way i always have a couple of disposable barbies in the locker, one thing you will find in the north of Scotland is nobody objects if you park outside the local bakers/butchers or whatever takes your fancy, joe public in scotland have a completely different attitude to trucks and there drivers than most English folk

Just gives me more options,cheekeymonkey.
I’m currently parked a stone’s throw from a town centre…but I can’t be arsed.

Beetlejuice:
Asda do a half descent plug in good size cool box .And as said get a gas stove,That will sort you out for now .Forget pot noodle :confused:

^^^
this
Not quite as good as a reefer but a plug in cool box will do the job.
The need to avoid cafe food is a must, theres nothing like cooking for yourself with fresh ingredients. Careful selection will see you avoiding the fat/suger/msg content of pre cooked meals and cafe junk.
I live off oats/pasta/rice/chicken/pasta sauces/ ect, all easy stuff to cook up, fruit will also keep better in the cool box. Buy a cool box and a gas stove and you’ll get your money back within a week…

I cook most of my own food as well and I’ve got a Weaco 31 ltrv24v fridge and microwave in truck
Also I’ve got to do my own food rather than buy junk as I have just been diagnosed as celiac (gluten intloerant ) and wheat is hidden in many processed foods and snacks
Also asked to change trucks as I’m in a Actros where the lockers are small and no top bunk ,to change to a MAN so I have more storage for food as the current driver is moving in to a new MAN

Try some self heating ration packs from camping shops .Tasty,. though portions are small

In last two month was parked at services 4 times but company allow all the time.One food voucher put in the bin because expired.Now I got one and need use till next week.

Why do so many post, going to be away(tramping) for a week what do I need, Well my little snowflakes, common sense for a start.Then think for yourself, you might just then survive one whole week away from mummy.

biggriffin:
Why do so many post, going to be away(tramping) for a week what do I need, Well my little snowflakes, common sense for a start.Then think for yourself, you might just then survive one whole week away from mummy.

If you read the op I’m not asking what I need for a week away, I’m asking for any good “add water to” meals because I don’t have a microwave, but it has been recommended I get a gas stove and pick up bits on the way each day for cooking… so before jumping on my thread and being a wee cockwomble have a scroll up pal and see the original question :slight_smile:

I have a trusty gas stove. When I leave the yard on my first shift, I’ve got enough food and water with me to not have to stop anywhere during the week. Tins of beans, lentils, some tinned veg, that sort of thing. Fresh veg too. Porridge pots for breakfast. Coffee. Some instant noodles for a quick lunch if I don’t want something bigger. Microwave rice. Proper noodles. Some sauces.

I have a weakness for M&S salads, so I normally end up buying a couple of them a week :laughing:

If I want to eat at a truckstop, I do, and McDonalds and Burger King both serve up reasonable salads if I end up in the services.

My main thing is to give myself options - I don’t have to stop anywhere “civilised” if I don’t want to, I can still eat nice food and crack open a near-beer.

biggriffin:

Then let’s just shut this place down then if someone can’t ask a question of people who have been doing the job perhaps longer?

Thanks for the advice guys and girls very much appreciated will pick up one of those ridgemonkeys and a gas stove, will just have to stop daily to pick up ingredients for the night until I get a fridge… :smiley:

VxRussell:

Goldfinger:
Suitcase stove, one pan, kettle… And then get yourself one of those ‘Ridgemonkey XL’s’… :sunglasses:

Then, if you’re on Facebook, look up the ‘trucking chef’ group, or IICRC, the ‘hungry carper’…

*Shop around for the Ridgemonkeys… Got mine with the little utensils and free P&P for £19.99. Was the cheapest around I found from Angling Direct… :sunglasses:

Ridgemonkey on sale in Go Outdoors for £10 just now!, ideal, joined those two groups, thank you for the tips…

That one I think is a copy, but it should do…

Water…don’t forget water, as much as you can store. I’ve got 2 10 litre drums, one in the cab and one in the side locker.

VxRussell:
Afternoon ladies and gents, have my first full week out tramping next week and am looking for a bit of advice in regards to food, I’ve done a couple of nights out before but not for the full week, the truck I’m taking does not have a fridge or microwave in it so it’s not just as easy as stocking up on microwave meals, the previous driver of it had put their own bits in but, has now left and taken them out, I do have boiling water though, and don’t fancy takeaway or McDonalds etc every night, any recommendations for a “good meal” that are just add water? I know there is pot noodles, supernoodles and that sort of stuff but, has anyone come across the good stuff that will fill a hole and keep you going…

I can’t think of anything that fits that description. If you steam any veg this will reduce the amount of water and gas you need for cooking and preserve the nutritional value much better than boiling with the exception being tatties, don’t forget the butter for the tatties. Grate some cheese in or pop an egg in to your mash or both. 1 doz eggs and you can have them fried,poached,boiled or in an omelette. No problem at all with cholesterol. Fruit for the week will keep well enough and help keep your system moving as will plenty of fluid, aim for at least a litre of water per day along with any other fluids. Get some exercise whenever and wherever you can. A wee walk will work wonders. Do the bulk of your shopping at the supermarket when home to keep a lid on the costs, then when you fancy a pub meal and a couple of pints you won’t feel you’re breaking the bank. Tramping in the North East of Scotland isn’t a bad way to start! :grimacing:

VxRussell:

truckman020:
Heinz spring vegetable soup with croutons,heated in a microwave in a plastic microwave proof bowl,little salt,bloody tasty

No microwave fitted in the truck, said that on the opener :slight_smile:

so you did,reckon it’s specsavers for me

O/p you say you’re new to tramping, why not ask your boss to buy you a fridge and microwave, and take a few quid out of your wages each week to pay for it.
If he’s one of the ‘‘good uns’’ he’ll pay for it himself (as an ex boss of mine did) , if not the least he can do is knock the VAT off for you, then you get a good deal. :bulb:

robroy:
O/p you say you’re new to tramping, why not ask your boss to buy you a fridge and microwave, and take a few quid out of your wages each week to pay for it.
If he’s one of the ‘‘good uns’’ he’ll pay for it himself (as an ex boss of mine did) , if not the least he can do is knock the VAT off for you, then you get a good deal. :bulb:

All I’m saying is this “hahaha no”

VxRussell:

robroy:

All I’m saying is this “hahaha no”

What kind of truck are you driving add will you be in it all the time, ie not jumping trucks? Might be worth buying a second hand manufacturers fridge and getting it fitted. I’ve seen scania ones for less than a hundred quid. A boss that wouldn’t provide something as simple as a fridge isn’t one I would work for.

Tins of curry or stew are alright, have them with noodles (the nests cook in a minute or two), boil in the bag rice, tinned spuds or veg. If you have a stove you can make anything you just need to pick it up that day rather than keep it in the fridge.

biggriffin:

So when you started tramping you never asked other drivers advice or got ideas from other drivers from other drivers on how to make things easier, better or more comfortable?

I know I did and a lot of drivers were only to willing to share information on what to get and where to get it, that’s all this is, a chance for those who’ve been tramping for years to help those new to it to live more comfortably, get away from rip off MSA’s and take away meals or surviving on pot noodles.