Food for thought

muckles:
So when you started tramping you never asked other drivers advice or got ideas from other drivers from other drivers on how to make things easier, better or more comfortable?

I can honestly hand on heart say that I never sought advice Muckles. My first week tramping I only took bedding, wash & shaving gear and enough clean clothes for the week. Imo you’ll sharp figure out what you need, if you don’t then maybe tramping isn’t the best choice of work pattern.

Surely if a company expects you out all week they should provide at least a fridge.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
Surely if a company expects you out all week they should provide at least a fridge.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I’ve got a DAF one for sale if he’s interested… :bulb:

the maoster:

muckles:
So when you started tramping you never asked other drivers advice or got ideas from other drivers from other drivers on how to make things easier, better or more comfortable?

I can honestly hand on heart say that I never sought advice Muckles. My first week tramping I only took bedding, wash & shaving gear and enough clean clothes for the week. Imo you’ll sharp figure out what you need, if you don’t then maybe tramping isn’t the best choice of work pattern.

Me either, same as I don’t ask anybody what to pack when going on holiday, …common sense takes care of that as it did when I started tramping.
You pack for various and different potential scenarios, it aint ■■■■ rocket science.

You will only starve on the first night, after that you will figure it out. If you get a frying pan and a stove, here is a real simple and quick recipe for you.
Chop up 1 onion and 1 or two potatoes sliced thinly.
Heat up the frying pan with olive oil
drop in the potato and oinion & fry these off on a gentle heat for aprox 10 mins.
fry 1 or 2 cod fillets in the same pan turning the fillets after aprox 4 mins each side.
pour in aprox half small tub of double cream,
Add some boursin cream cheese
Simmer for a couple of mins and serve.
Fast, easy, healthy and delicious.
I virtually live off this.

robroy:

the maoster:

muckles:

Me either, same as I don’t ask anybody what to pack when going on holiday, …common sense takes care of that as it did when I started tramping.
You pack for various and different potential scenarios, it aint [zb] rocket science.

I spend most of my working life either staying trucks or hotels, and of course the basics are easy, but sometimes you’ll see somebody do something a better way or have some item that makes life better and I’ll ask them how it’s done or where can I get one from, I’ve found most people are happy to share that info, not turn round and say work it out for yourself.
As far as I see that’s all the OP has done here, just want advice on better ways to do the job.

I wouldn’t have a dig at the OP for asking, but no, I never did either. Took some bits with me for a couple of days and then bought as I went along. Managed to figure out washkit, bedding (no sleeper cab), clothes by myself.

Edit: that’s not a fair comment, my dad wasn’t a tramper, but we did night out, so I grew up and absorbed I guess.

Tins/packets of food,heat source,water …sorted :smiley:

I’m about to start tramping next week; I’ve got the following:

Double gas stove with grill (+ 5kg Calor gas bottle, regulator, clips, hose)
Travel kettle
Ridgemonkey toaster/frying pan

Truck has fridge (& freezer I think); no microwave.

What do I need to cook on the stove except for the Ridgemonkey? What kind of saucepan – I normally use a 1.5ltr saucepan at home to cook rice and pasta with; will that work on a camping stove or will I need something smaller?

If I run out of water, where do I get drinking water other than mineral water? Two 10l drums of water were mentioned earlier; will that last 4 or 5 days?

How long is the gas likely to last? Would I have to refill when I get home, or are there truckstops or other places that are accessible that can refill a Calor gas bottle?

Tap water from most sources will do as long as only for cooking/ tea ect ie boiling but a 3litre bottle of mineral will do me for a week.
As for the gas bottle, with the small gas stoves that will last weeks. I only have a small camping gaz stove with a single burner which uses the aerosol gas cans and one of those lasts me at least a week so you shouldnt have issues with the 5kg refillable type.
re a saucepan, any type will do but ive always found one with a copper bottom will heat up quicker. Use one thats big enough to keep the flame on max within the diameter of the pan, using one thats too small will have the flame licking the sides ie wasted heat…

AndrewG:
Tap water from most sources will do as long as only for cooking/ tea ect ie boiling but a 3litre bottle of mineral will do me for a week.
As for the gas bottle, with the small gas stoves that will last weeks. I only have a small camping gaz stove with a single burner which uses the aerosol gas cans and one of those lasts me at least a week so you shouldnt have issues with the 5kg refillable type.
re a saucepan, any type will do but ive always found one with a copper bottom will heat up quicker. Use one thats big enough to keep the flame on max within the diameter of the pan, using one thats too small will have the flame licking the sides ie wasted heat…

Oh I see. I did also get a simple Campingaz burner with the little gas bottle that sits underneath – the gas dealer said that would last for two meals, at best. Would be useful for heating up a sandwich on the Ridgemonkey though.

I don’t have a microwave at home or in the cab I do have a fridge in the cab mind but when I didn’t I did think look at the expiry date on fresh food take cool bag ( which had been in freezer overnight ) place fresh food in with couple of those freezer box things last a couple days before they defrost

Have a decent 1 ring stove take plenty water kettle coffee etc I do have tins for just in case or emergency

A bit of thought common sense & forward planning goes along way

IndigoJo:

AndrewG:

Oh I see. I did also get a simple Campingaz burner with the little gas bottle that sits underneath – the gas dealer said that would last for two meals, at best. Would be useful for heating up a sandwich on the Ridgemonkey though.

I used to use the little camping gas stove and they didn’t last long, but I now have the type Andy mentioned, comes in a plastic case and pack away easily, it uses an aerosol sized gas canister, does last a while, (although I only cook in the cab if all other option have failed, but I do like a brew in the morning )and you can get replacement canisters in loads of places.
I got my stove from Halfords about 10years ago