Fellow trampers ideas please

I do most of the cooking in our house so I almost always do plenty extra and leave some at home for the family and take the rest with me in the truck. I buy the small foil baking trays with lids like you get from the takeaway and make shepherds pie or potatoes au gratin, and always bring spare roast taters with me. I also often carry roasted chicken legs in the fridge so I can make a meal. I won’t fry in the truck, but I carry a small folding table so I can fry outdoors if I fancy it. I run a 1750 watt inverter in here so I can run the microwave easily, and I also have a slow cooker. I usually put a tin of potatoes, tin of tomatoes, tin of pork or chicken and a tin of mixed veg in it and that will last me a couple of days. But the best thing is the rice cooker. That thing is excellent as it will cook pasta as well, and the emergency rations like supernoodles if you are in a rush.

The small gas BBQs are fantastic, and you can use them for baking outdoors as well as grilling, and then you can have the best of both worlds. There is something really good about grilling your own food when you are stuck somewhere and having a private BBQ.

I saw these ready-made meals in Waitrose the other day and bought a couple for emergencies, as they don’t need refrigeration, etc.
They are supplied by a company called: lookwhatwefound.co.uk and can also be bought by mail order.
Examples are:
Home Reared Beef In Black Velvet Porter With Maris Piper Potatoes
Hearty ■■■■■■■■■■ Sausage Breakfast Snack Pot
Gloucester Old Spot Pork Meatballs With Butter Beans In A Rich Tomato Sauce
Mushroom Stroganoff With Hand-Picked Scottish Mushrooms
Wild Rabbit in Leek & Elderflower Sauce With Camargue Red Rice
Fellside Beef Chilli Con Carne
Traditional Pork & Herb Sausage Casserole
Prices range from £1.99 to £2.99 and they can be cooked in a single saucepan, so would seem to be ideal for tramping, camping, sailing.
I don’t know what they taste like, yet, :unamused: but the packets looked tempting and the price was right! :grimacing:
They also do gluten free products. :sunglasses:
There must be other similar products in camping shops and yacht chandleries, but may be harder to get hold of and a bit pricier.

Have any of you tried cooking with the waste heat from engine or exhaust.I read of a man doing this in a motoring mag. years ago.In theory at least you could wrap a chop or similar in tinfoil and wedge or hang it using wire from a hot part of the motor.

never done that in a truck, however when i was in the army on excercise we would stick the tins out of the rations down the exhaust on the 423’s. would heat up quite well albeit the can was covered in soot!.. :smiley:

Some different cuisine for you to try:

1. I like fried sausage, but not this you have in UK (well… these ones are good too, but this ones I mean are completely different).

I mean Polish or German smoked sausage like that:

You can find it in Tescos’ Asda’s etc on the Polish shelves, at the shops storing Polish food or (german) in Lidl.

Cut along into two halves and make some cuts at the round side
(like that:)

The new potatoes and some veggie to that (or, if you want to try really ■■■■■■■■ polish-german cuisine: the sauerkrat) and good beer :slight_smile:

Also, for fast meals:

1. Mushrooms + onion, fry that on the pan, add some cream and eat with pasta or potatoes or chips (but chips can be hard in the lorry :slight_smile: )

2. Some Polish meal called “gzik”. New Potatoes mashed with “white cheese” - “twaróg” - this is typical polish cheese, so only in shops stocking Polish food. Easy, good, healthly and very filling.

3. Pierogi - a dumplings filled with meat, mushroom and cabbage or potatoes and cheese (my favourite ones) - available in Tescos, few minutes on the pan or boil until they come to the sufrace, eat with cream.

I like to try kitchens of other nations, maybe some of you would like to try something from Poland too? :wink:

Some of those sound delicious, Orys. :sunglasses:

I’ll have to take a detour to my local Tescos and scan the shelves. It’s nice to try something new.

I finally got round to trying one of the meals I posted earlier:

LoadsOfHorses:
Gloucester Old Spot Pork Meatballs With Butter Beans In A Rich Tomato Sauce

I microwaved it with one of “Uncle Ben’s Express Rice” packs - many supermarkets have them on special offer at the moment - 2 for £2.

Some are better than others, you’ll have to do a taste test for yourself!

A hot tasty meal in 3 minutes for under £4 - not bad. The meatballs were very good, but at only 3 in the pack, they were a pretty endangered species :grimacing:

As they don’t need refrigerating and were a bit different, I’d buy them again.

09/10 for taste 10/10 for ingenuity 08/10 for value

I know, I know, don’t give up the day job! Egon Ronay is safe! :blush: :laughing:

well thanks for all the ideas fellas bought a cooker today gonna try it out next week let you know how i get on. loved the idea of cooking on the exhaust on my unit theres a nice gap between the adblue tank and the exhaust where a spud wrapped in foil should fit i,ll let you know how i get on.i do,nt use cafes much not really into fried food and stodgy dinners at £5-6 a time and end up parked all over the shop laybys ind estates del points etc can,t really plan ahead very often as i never know where i,m going next.not moaning i would,nt have it any other way cheers and be safe :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: