fed up

Ok, this is how and why

Last monday morning gets a call, yeah 17.30 booking, normal place… 3 pm cancelled, couldn’t get any other work with such short notice.

Same happened Tuesday… was a little miffed

Same happened Wednesday… Peed off quite a bit, so i ring the agency up and they have no explanation for why there doing it. They have other drivers going in there and there not being cancelled.

Thursday boss said he was going in to the see the client to ask why about me and other things… it didn’t happen

Friday i wasn’t working anyway.

So no work last week, tried another agency for some weekend work, promised that i’ll get some but nothing appeared.

This morning had a call to say i had a 17.30 for BMW delivering car parts… cushty i thought, nah, 15.30 rings up and cancels!!!

Contemplating fawking out the cash to get my CPC licence and make use of it along various lines.

I cannot understand why this is happening, had no trouble or complaints, i’m always early for me job, i never moan when they give me 3+ runs, i do everything by the book, i’m getting paranoid thinking it’s all a conspiracy theory.

:cry:

Ditch the agency crap, (their bloody parasites anyway) & get a real job, hey mpresto no more problem!

Unfortunately not so easy for me to do tramper, i’m a single mum and i’m quite restricted on the hours i can drive becuase of my little one.

Tell the agency that the moment they book you, they commit themselves to paying you 8 hours at flat rate even if the job is cancelled, and if they won`t agree to that, then bid them adieu.

Vince

Vince:
Tell the agency that the moment they book you, they commit themselves to paying you 8 hours at flat rate even if the job is cancelled, and if they won`t agree to that, then bid them adieu.

Vince

Vince, anyone can tell you that down the bell, but you try getting money out of them afterwards… Likewise, try to get the ‘if we book you then later cancel we will pay you 8hrs’ in writing too; not a chance…

Cheers.

i’ve had this happen before to me so iturned up at customers site and found that the run was still on but the agency had changed drivers and not just at the last minute too, they had done it in the morning to keep another driver happy because he wanted to do both runs his and the extra, i can’t understand it either because they paid him more money per hour as he was a full time available where as i was only as and when it suited me.
anyway because i turned up i got the company to sign my time sheet then rang the agency to tell them i had turned up and another driver had been given my run, that i had got a signiature for turning up and would be putting in my sheet for payment of 8 hours.
they paid me and it didn’t happen again.

Rob K:
Vince, anyone can tell you that down the bell, but you try getting money out of them afterwards… Likewise, try to get the ‘if we book you then later cancel we will pay you 8hrs’ in writing too; not a chance…

Cheers.

The most important point to grasp is that an employee should always agree terms in full before starting work for an employer.

Having been agreed, these terms then become a binding legal contract on both parties, regardless of whether or not they are in writing. If you buy a pound of potatoes from a greengrocer, then the two of you form a legally binding contract.

Of course, it is always easier to go to law with a written, rather than a verbal contract- a verbal contract isnt worth the paper its written on :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

But a driver does not need to go to law these days- if employer 1 is stuck in the dark ages (1988), then you can be sure that employer 2 is not far away.

It`s not acceptable for an agency to book a driver, then cancel at the last minute. Not once, never mind three days in a row.

Well, we in Kent would not brook it, anyway. Tiggz, invoice them for your lost time.

Vince

Vince:

Rob K:

Cheers.

The most important point to grasp is that an employee should always agree terms in full before starting work for an employer.

Having been agreed, these terms then become a binding legal contract on both parties, regardless of whether or not they are in writing. If you buy a pound of potatoes from a greengrocer, then the two of you form a legally binding contract.

Of course, it is always easier to go to law with a written, rather than a verbal contract- a verbal contract isnt worth the paper its written on :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

But a driver does not need to go to law these days- if employer 1 is stuck in the dark ages (1988), then you can be sure that employer 2 is not far away.

It`s not acceptable for an agency to book a driver, then cancel at the last minute. Not once, never mind three days in a row.

Well, we in Kent would not brook it, anyway. Tiggz, invoice them for your lost time.

Vince

What have I just said in the quote :question:. It’s all well in theory agreeing things verbally but when it comes to the crunch those who have to put their hand in their pocket suddenly deny ever having made any verbal agreements and because you don’t have it on paper, you’re

Cheers.

But you can always refuse to work for them again, so at the end of the day, who`s the ■■■■■

Vince

Vince:
But you can always refuse to work for them again, so at the end of the day, who`s the [zb]?

Yeah that’s true but we’re talking about at the time. It’s no good to you when you’ve been contracted, say, to do a Sunday evening at £20/hr and then to have the agency phone a couple of hours before (if you’re lucky) and tell you it’s off, or even worse, waste an hour of your time getting to the job only to be told that you’re not needed thus wasting another hour driving back.

Anything you were going to do on the Sunday evening had already been shelved because of this job and now you find yourself sat there twiddling your thumbs (or in the pub!) knowing that you’re going to have to really sort some reliable work out through the week due to this cancellation, with me :question:

It’s easy to tell them to ‘stick it’ after the event.

Cheers.

Tiggs,
Next time they call you tell them sorry, but you have already agree’s to work for someone else that day, but maybe you will be available the next, it depends on how much work the other agency has. If they ask what agency tell them it’s not their business, but you need work and can’t sit around waiting for them. They will do their best to keep you happy from then on.

Mind you :exclamation: Agencies are all leaches so find something better, I found one in MK when I lived there that paid 8 every day, even if you didn’t work :exclamation:

Tiggz.
Beavers - Woolworths
ADR - Woolworths
NIS - Sainsburys
NIS - ASDA

You will get regular slots in any of the above.

gurner, you know i won’t go woolies, i may be desperate but they will only take this ■■■■ out of me again.

I’ve managed to get a booking for monday this week, different agency, guess what! cancelled.

So, final shot, i found out where an old mate of mine worked (agency) managed to get me a booking last night, double coventry not a problem, felt good to be on the road.

could you make it to newbury ?

If you have a Class 1 LGV license we have a fantastic opportunity for you!

Working for a prestigious, friendly distribution centre in the Newbury area you will earn a basic hourly rate of £10 with top rates paid for any overtime or out of hours shifts you do. Other benefits include weekly pay, holiday pay, workwear and flexible shift patterns.

You can work as little or as much as you like (within driving regulation hours of course!) with shifts to suit everyone.

These positions also offer the opportunity to go permanent after an introductory period should you wish.

For more information on these and other fantastic driving opportunities please call Mark Creasey at Blue Arrow Newbury on 01635 34949.

Salary: £10 per hour plus overtime
Job type: Temporary
Start: 4 Nov 2004

Branch Details
Newbury Blue Arrow
01635 34949