Agency work should be bouyant - but it's not. Why?

Got cancelled a couple of times this week. Now went and had a chat with the agency guy this morning because I was done again last night at 10-00 for a 05-00 start :unamused: . Admittadley I shouted at him (it’s not his fault I’ve been cancelled, but he bears the brunt). Now the firm I’ve been put into have just picked up six hire units and as many trailers in the past few days - I know, 'cause I’ve picked the units up from Bristol and a couple of the trailers from Thurrock. They’ve got plenty of work in from talking to the drivers. Anyway, whilst I was in the agency other guys from other agencys were their and we all went for a coffee 'cause they’d had drivers cancelled and they were peeved as well - I think they wanted a drivers point of view on the thing. Their were dark mutterings about foriegn drivers coming in, being employed by agencys and working for peanuts, but I must point out, these were rumors and I don’t know weather to believe them or not. I know no people arn’t buying at the moment and theirs a couple of interest rate rises due which may amount to the reason, but this time of year I would expect to have work right up to Christmas. I think it’s time I got myself a full time job nuch as I detest the thought :cry: .

sign up for another agency lib, i would have asked them to pay your guaranteed 8 hours if they cancel you. I know what you mean about the full time job part… i’d love the security.

Allready done Tiggz, It’ll be low loders next week which should be fun :wink: . Looking foreward to that and anything else they can come up with on the way they have paid the eight hours though :sunglasses: .

This really goads me with agencies, some of the ones i’ve worked for beofre have wanted as much notice as possible if i’m gunna cancel a job, but they do it to us at a moments notice and then refuse to pay ya. Glad you got the eight hours out of it anywayz. Watch yer back end with the low loaders hun.

BTW - how did saturday go■■?

I’ve my first day off for a couple of weeks cause there’s little going on where I work, claims the agency, this is supermarket runs. Spoke to other drivers who normally do Tesco and the like and they’re also scratching around…

Someone who should know where I am said they’re waiting on a busload (30) foreign drivers to put through their “driver assessment”. My agency claim they’re supplying them but I’d take that with a pinch of…

I’m very surprised it’s gone quiet.

Lib, Honey you have mail. :wink:

Well we all knew what was going to happen when the foreigners invaded our shores much as the government said it wouldnt happen and not to panic…with the new member countries the drivers from Poland…Estonia…Latvia…are allowed to work for one year on their licences as part of the E.U. agreement …but must then take a test to comply with british regulations…at the same time they have to live like we all have to although they can live a lot cheaply than we can…but the rents often in the private sector are a lot higher than council properties which they will not get…they will of course be exploited by the agencies and companies that use them…but in saying that we have to protect our own jobs…and who is doing that…the RHA…the Unions…not on your life…they are just feathering their own nests…all they want is drivers who can do the job…regardless of the consequences…and how can they check references…this industry is on a downhill slide…and fewer and fewer want out of this industry …myself included…and it wont get any better until drivers unite which i`ve been saying for 40 years…it wont happen…
have a nice day

to carry on truckyboys theme theres a certain company in scotland taken on 15 polish drivers recently with a 6 week on 1 week off type affair covering most of europe so live in trucks 6 weeks fly home for 1 week … live like kings on huge wages to them and never really contribute back into our economy apart from tax… with this kind of set up we gonna be looking at more and more foreign drivers taking jobs here which leaves less and less jobs available to us even thru agencies which will eventually leave us all stackin shelves at morrisons…

rent isn’t a problem… many have friends and family here and can find digs for them… a friend of mine who lives in leicester reckons the 4 student houses down his street are now inhabited by east europeans, and have to be 3 or 4 to a room going by the amount going in each night… Most of the rooms for student digs top out at £50 a week for a pricey one, so split between a few men, thats sod all. Landlords don’t care, they’re charging a tenner a week more per room than they do to a skint student, and gets less hassle for it (parties etc).

its odd that this subject has come up, because while at various RDCs the last week or so, the subject of "isnt it odd that it doesnt seem as busy this Christmas, compared to previous Christmass"
and several convos have come to the conclusion that because Christmas is on a weekend, there hasn`t been the need to massively build up stocks, well with the exception of mince pies that is :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

steve_24v:
I’ve my first day off for a couple of weeks cause there’s little going on where I work, claims the agency, this is supermarket runs. Spoke to other drivers who normally do Tesco and the like and they’re also scratching around…

Someone who should know where I am said they’re waiting on a busload (30) foreign drivers to put through their “driver assessment”. My agency claim they’re supplying them but I’d take that with a pinch of…

I’m very surprised it’s gone quiet.

There’s an agency in Caldicot called Transband looking for drivers.
Twice this week they have rang me asking me to work. Have a full
time job so had to decline.

Give them a ring. 01291 421114.

Wayne.

Thanks Wayne, and noted…

I’m actually relieved to have a day off, which is why I prefer to work through an agency, trouble is my agency don’t see it that way and run me like a slave… In again tonight !!

As a very new driver I suppose I should be grateful that I’m getting work at all, let alone day in day out pulling some of the biggest trailers in the fleet. Wouldn’t let on to that though.

Interesting this.

At the moment,I’m working in our traffic office,and have contact with a number of agencies on a daily business.

Outside of work,I have an expensive hobby,I race a Citroen AX in autograss,and it’s the time of year for a rebuild,before next season starts in March.So I think to myself, ‘I’ll speak to one or two agencies,about the prospect of some Sunday work,to help swell the coffers,and finance the rebuild.’

I started asking at the end of November,and to date,haven’t been able to secure anything.I,also find this strange,when at a time you would think they would be begging you to work.

What is noticeable though,is that one of the agencies we use,have supplied us with 2 Polish drivers in the last week,who can’t speak a word of our language,but do seem to get the job done,albeit slowly.This I can understand,as they have to find their way about,drive right hand drive trucks,and master our way of life.They have even brought their car over from Poland,so they must be desperate.

Anyhow,I have been promised something for this weekend,and one of the agencies has asked me if I’m available Boxing Day. (mmmmmm… £££££££)

Ken.