Fed up of the lies Agengies come out with

It has happened again. Been with this agency 2 weeks and already getting shafted. Conversation went along the lines of:

Moi
Do I get a better rate for starting at 4am

Agency
No that is accepted as normal day rate £8.50 (Class 1)

Moi
So when does the rate go up then?

Agency
Between 2400 and 0400 there is a higher rate and for working nightshift it is £9.60 (PAYE)

1 week later
Moi
I am doing Birmingham tonight and will be back around 0600 tomorrow (present time 19:35). Do I get night out money, meal allowance and what rate do I get through the night?

Agency
(after a lot of waffling) No night out money as you are not staying out for the night (eh?) and the rate stays at £9.60 because it is a flat rate for the job paid by the client (eh? but but 2400 - 0400 the other week you said…). Meal allowance I will throa a tenner in for you… (yeah after deducting 5 hours of my time like he has for the first week)

I said to him, Why have you got no more drivers in at this coming they are having to go to 24/7 freeway and other companies? He said “I haven’t got anymore drivers just you and ******”. I said “why is that?”. Get this for an answer he says “Because they all think they are something and want to get £15 per hour”

Guess who won’t be working for him very soon? Next time the client says Get us out of the [zb] mate and go to Northhampton I will say hold on. Phone the agency “I want £25 expenses and £13 per hour through the night or you lose?”

I can understand the no night ou money as you are working through, not nighting out, but you should get the higher rate as you are working between 0001 an 0400.

it’s 2200-0400 at our place, and ten it is just £18.75 shift allowance, same hourly rate.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sounds to me like you haven’t the foggiest what your talking about.

alder:
It has happened again. Been with this agency 2 weeks and already getting shafted. Conversation went along the lines of:

Moi

Agency

Moi

Agency
Between 2400 and 0400 there is a higher rate and for working nightshift it is £9.60 (PAYE)

1 week later
Moi
I am doing Birmingham tonight and will be back around 0600 tomorrow (present time 19:35). Do I get night out money, meal allowance and what rate do I get through the night?

Agency
(after a lot of waffling) No night out money as you are not staying out for the night (eh?) and the rate stays at £9.60 because it is a flat rate for the job paid by the client (eh? but but 2400 - 0400 the other week you said…). Meal allowance I will throa a tenner in for you… (yeah after deducting 5 hours of my time like he has for the first week)

I said to him, Why have you got no more drivers in at this coming they are having to go to 24/7 freeway and other companies? He said “I haven’t got anymore drivers just you and ******”. I said “why is that?”. Get this for an answer he says “Because they all think they are something and want to get £15 per hour”

Guess who won’t be working for him very soon? Next time the client says Get us out of the [zb] mate and go to Northhampton I will say hold on. Phone the agency “I want £25 expenses and £13 per hour through the night or you lose?”

■■?

What are you complaining about? you already knew the night rate was £9.60

Why did he take 5 hours off you the week before

night out money is for kipping in the cab

cav551:

alder:

Moi

Agency

Moi

Agency

1 week later
Moi

Agency

■■?

What are you complaining about? you already knew the night rate was £9.60

Ok the deal is I start at 1700 and finish around 12 / 1am. So in the middle of this shift I was asked to go to another depot (York) pickup a trailer and take it to Birmingham then return the empty and then back to my depot. Finish around 6/7am. I thought I would get more than £9.60 an hour for working through the night and skipping my usual meal at 11pm (Home)? apparently not :open_mouth: God I might do something else :cry:

nope…just a standard 12/13 hour night shift

Think your in the wrong job m8 … I hear tesco’s needs idiots for stacking shelves

alder:
Ok the deal is I start at 1700 and finish around 12 / 1am. So in the middle of this shift I was asked to go to another depot (York) pickup a trailer and take it to Birmingham then return the empty and then back to my depot. Finish around 6/7am. I thought I would get more than £9.60 an hour for working through the night and skipping my usual meal at 11pm (Home)? apparently not :open_mouth: God I might do something else :cry:

You get night shift rate not night out money, and you haven’t missed your break, you may have had it a a different time than usual but you still have a break at some point in the shift.

Whirlwind:
Think your in the wrong job m8 … I hear tesco’s needs idiots for stacking shelves

Thanks mate very kind of you to point me in that direction

alder:

Whirlwind:

I think he’s right, sounds like you want the earth to do a shift at an odd time.

Career change me thinks!!!

Pansie Division:

alder:

Whirlwind:

I think he’s right, sounds like you want the earth to do a shift at an odd time.

Career change me thinks!!!

No I am fine thanks

Give the lad a break ffs :unamused: , he’s probably a newbie that has just misunderstood the nightrate/nightout situation, came on here for a bit of advice and got bombed off. He has got a point about agencies being a bunch of ■■■■■■■■■ in general, the £15 an hour crack sums them up, maybe the drivers would be on £15 an hour if employed direct without those parasites creaming off the better half of the deal.

You might not have been told in the politest ways possible so far but the agency are right in what they are saying and paying.

‘Night out’ money is subsistence for taking a daily rest period away from base, not for working all night(!) and to be honest you should consider yourself quite lucky to get a tenner meal allowance on top of your money. Most firms as far as my experience tell me don’t pay any dinner money.

^^^^^^This^^^^^

Mate - you are getting proper shafted. What happened to the £10.60p\h rate on a 5pm til 10pm shift but paid for eight hours?

Night out rate is as explained above. If you do that, then the rate varies from £22 \ £27 a night (guide).

The Brum run was just standard run of the mill everyday \ night stuff.

You and the agency need to sit down for a chat in order for you to get a clearer understanding of what you get paid for and any allowances available, if any.

Do yourself a favour, don’t start thinking this is the job where you can make demands for more money or have thoughts of being home for lunch. We’re not footballers.

You can’t knock £8.50p\h class 1 though as a new pass. Once you get more experience, the better paid jobs will be more available for you.

Correct me if I’m wrong but that sounds ok? They ain’t gonna pay night out money as your not on night out surely?

commonrail:
nope…just a standard 12/13 hour night shift

That’s how I read it

summerley82:
Correct me if I’m wrong but that sounds ok? They ain’t gonna pay night out money as your not on night out surely?

+1

commonrail:
night out money is for kipping in the cab

+1

One final piece of advice I will offer to the OP
Always confirm the rates (and other allowances) BEFORE you accept the shift, especially if there’s offer of additional monies being offered. i.e: if they say theyll give you petrol money to go somewhere outside your normal working range. Then once youve accepted the booking, do not change your mind, & do not walk off the job even if the client is being an arras without speaking to the agency 1st

macci:
Mate - you are getting proper shafted. What happened to the £10.60p\h rate on a 5pm til 10pm shift but paid for eight hours?.

He did say £9.60 PAYE . So quid extra to be ripped off by umbrella scheme