Falcongate

A few years ago I used to drive 7.5 tonners for these people based in birkenhead. Apparently they used to be big in the long distance middle east haulage market. Does anyone have any info/pics/stories? Are they still around? Thanks.

idrove for falcongate for a while in the early nineties. always tight with running money. i have some photo’s , if only i could find them. a regular run was fabric to birlad in romania and marks and sparks school shirts back. there was a boiling hot shower in the factory boilerhouse and always clean cardboard on the floor, but you always had to have a drink of home distilled firewater with the boilerman

Thanks! Would appreciate any photos. What were they like to work for and what were the units like?

any pictures would be appreciated as i would like to build a model of a falcongate daf in the near future…ta :smiley:

I never drove for falcongate but remember seeing their trucks around in the late 80s and early 90s, particularly the DAF 95 310`s, white with blue writing and stripes and some Arabic lettering across the front and blue tilt trailers fitted with belly tanks and FALCONGATE written in large block capitals down the side.

I’m sure someone will post up some pics cos they have been posted here before. They used to have a website but that seems to have disappeared.

I was always under the impression that the company was owned or run by a team / group / pair of accountants who knew literally to the last penny how much running money a driver would need for a certain destination and that would be all he would get to do the job, heard the wages were not very good either and if their was any discrepancy in the running money then the driver made up the difference out of his wages!! Come to think of it I don’t recall seeing any of their units as left hookers, something to do with right hand drive trucks having a better resale value further down the line, which if it was true would sound about right coming from a group of accountants!!

Of course this was only the rumour, things may have been totally different, I’m sure some of our ex M/E hands here have mentioned running with their drivers before so would be in a better position to comment.

bullitt.

Photos of Falcongate if you go to zarafshan.netne.net/ >Photo Gallery>Machie Vol 1 pictures 38 & 60 also Del Martins Picture same site
Ian

Good site there Jaws, has grown a bit since i last looked!! :smiley: :wink: