Falcongate

A few years ago I used to drive 7.5 tonners for these people based in birkenhead. Apparently they used to be big in the long distance middle east haulage market. Does anyone have any info/pics/stories? Are they still around? Thanks.

They shut up shop in Birkenhead over 10 years ago, it’s still called Falcongate House but that’s the only connection

Used to meet up with Falcongate drivers a lot all over the m/e in the '70’s and '80’s.
Went up to Birkenhead on one occasion to see about a job,but didn’t take up the offer as they only had right hand drive motors.

Yes Falcongate did a lot of trips to the Middle East in the eighties, mainly carrying pipes and drilling equipment for the oil industry. I think that their depot was on Bidston Dock Road next to the Mersey Tunnel and they had a lot of white D.A.F.'s with blue tilt’s, they always looked a smart outfit with trailer boxes and belly tanks and had some good lads at times working for them. JIm Smethurst and Dave Faraday spring to mind although I seem to think that they might of had a big turnover of drivers.

I think it was about 2003 that they took on a “Lynx” franchise when I worked for them. They had an award in the office for Haulier of the year. Dont know how old it was… There also was a reletivly new daf unit parked up in the yard doing nothing for a while.

remember falcongate well as a kid would often see their trucks at the yard on the docks. if i recall they use to have arabic writing on the cabs?. if you drive past the old yard today you can still see the old diesel bunkering tank their with falcongate on the side. just done a quick web search and came up with this.

Home » Advanced Search » Results » Falcongate Freight Management Ltd.
Falcongate Freight Management Ltd. Supplier Falcongate Freight Management Ltd.
Address Falcongate House, Docks Link,Wallasey, Merseyside, CH44 3EQ, United Kingdom
Telephone 0151.639.8661
Email lab@falcongate.freeserve.co.uk
Supplier Web Site falcongate.freeserve.co.uk.
International haulage
General Information Flats,Tilts,Garment Carriers to and from EEC,Middle East,North Africa and Eastern Europe.Driver accompanied.

however the website is no longer up and running.
pete.

Here is a pic from a friend of mine, I don’t know who the Falcongate driver is though. Taken somewhere in the M/E.

Regards,

Mark.

mushroomman:
Yes Falcongate did a lot of trips to the Middle East in the eighties, mainly carrying pipes and drilling equipment for the oil industry. I think that their depot was on Bidston Dock Road next to the Mersey Tunnel and they had a lot of white D.A.F.'s with blue tilt’s, they always looked a smart outfit with trailer boxes and belly tanks and had some good lads at times working for them. JIm Smethurst and Dave Faraday spring to mind although I seem to think that they might of had a big turnover of drivers.

I remember Dave Faraday as I worked with him at Appletons of Formby when he bought the Daf 2800 and was on contract to Doug Appleton then went on middle east work for Falcongate.

The last I heard of him was that he sold the truck and as far as I know is now living in London with I think wifey no.2!

I seem to remember that the arabic writng on the front said something like either “may allah be with you or may god be with you” that is what I was told by one of their drivers one time.

brookie:
Here is a pic from a friend of mine, I don’t know who the Falcongate driver is though. Taken somewhere in the M/E.

Regards,

Mark.

The guy sitting on the chair is the Falcongate driver whose first name was Billy cant remember surname he came from Birmingham always with George Brooks

My dad did a month for falcongate in 1992/93 I remenber he went to russia in a low cab 95 310 ati I dont know why it was a month but funny thing we lived in Yorkshire and now I live not far from there old yard in Wallasey/birkenhead

Was George Brooks the one that was known as “Shaky George”?

This guy worked with Falcongate for many years, Alex Downie.

Dave.

wirralpete:
remember falcongate well as a kid would often see their trucks at the yard on the docks. if i recall they use to have arabic writing on the cabs?. if you drive past the old yard today you can still see the old diesel bunkering tank their with falcongate on the side

Not any more! New industrial units are being built in the yard.

bestbooties:
Was George Brooks the one that was known as “Shaky George”?

No George went on to operate out of Dudley with a forwarding company called Landfast and the guy on the chair was called billy derby one of the old school

Warren T. Claim:

wirralpete:
remember falcongate well as a kid would often see their trucks at the yard on the docks. if i recall they use to have arabic writing on the cabs?. if you drive past the old yard today you can still see the old diesel bunkering tank their with falcongate on the side

That’s true but the building still has Falcongate House written on it

stringy:

Warren T. Claim:

wirralpete:

That’s true but the building still has Falcongate House written on it

Maybe the family still has the freehold on the land and decided there is more money in commercial property than haulage!

The guy standing on the right of the pic is Geordy,and yes he was a bit shaky…albeit a ■■■■ good pro… don’t know his full name but it is not George Brooks.

biffo:

brookie:

Regards,

Mark.

The guy sitting on the chair is the Falcongate driver whose first name was Billy cant remember surname he came from Birmingham always with George Brooks

Reddesertfox:
The guy standing on the right of the pic is Geordy,and yes he was a bit shaky…albeit a ■■■■ good pro… don’t know his full name but it is not George Brooks.

biffo:

brookie:

Regards,

Mark.

Sorry reddesertfox, the guy standing on the right is my mate Derrek (Del) Martin, who gave me the pics to post