Fair

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-25849675

This man is a commercial driver (albeit at the very bottom of the food chain - literally).

But he gets to keep his licence or he will lose his job.

Discuss…without being racist, obviously. I’m not concerned about the man’s ethnic background or possible religion.

I’d be interested to know what his new insurance policy costs.

Should be banned and his licence ripped up, and with no possibility of getting it back.

Years ago I was unfortunate / foolish enough to get 2x 3pts on my licence for speeding in short order. I was the most careful driver on the road whilst they were there and have decided to do my utmost to keep my licence clean.

Obviously the already large collection of points didn’t deter this driver.

The icing on the cake on the day I have my clean licence taken away, welcome to ■■■■■■ up Great Britain.

Right, let’s all get together and go speeding through every speed trap we can find. Doesn’t matter how many points we tot up, driving is our livelihood, so we all get to keep our licenses.

Surely they know that what they’re doing is wrong, but they do it anyway. “Ah it’s alright, we’ll get away with it, they’ll believe my sob story.” Next comes the ten-fold increase in insurance premiums, which they can’t afford, so more points are added for no insurance and the cycle keeps on going.

In some circumstances I can understand courts being lenient with people who have 12 points and a ban will result in them losing their job, but being allowed to keep your licence with 29/30/48 points is making a laughing stock of the law.

The courts seem determined to prove beyond all doubt that the law really is an ■■■ :unamused:

One motorist from the Liverpool area, was allowed to continue driving with 45 points

I had to go to court in 2010, for doing 83mph through a 30mph speed camera, I was sure I would lose my licence, didn’t have any hgv on it at the time. I had been out of work for a month or two previously, when the court heard I had recently got a job, i told them i needed my licence for work, their words were ‘we would rather keep you in employment, than you being unemployed’ so they awarded me with 6 points and a £115 fine. I was shocked to say the least. I can see the logic in that, but 29 points is beginning to take te ■■■■ I reckon.

83 in a 30! Jeez, I’m not whiter than white but ffs! You were lucky you weren’t spending time in a room with stripey windows, never mind hanging on to your licence.

NO! If somebody is driving an 18t+load truck without a bloody licence then it is my business, it’s ‘dangerous driving’, if one of these morons crashed into your family and killed them would you still have the same tone? (God forbid obviously)

Have to agree here

the maoster:
83 in a 30! Jeez, I’m not whiter than white but ffs! You were lucky you weren’t spending time in a room with stripey windows, never mind hanging on to your licence.

I was thinking exactly that, stupid I know, I was on a motorbike though, and it wasn’t a residential area, but needless to say it did teach me a lesson.

In 2003 i copped a 6 month ban for totting up. Even 2 miles an hour over a 30 meant 3 points, and was never offered a speed awareness course, anyhow, after the ban i had to write to my local traffic commisioner asking if i could have my HGV and PCV licences back? He kindly obliged but made it clear that if it happened again i would have to retake my test. My licence has been clean ever since, and i intend keeping it that way. I was not driving for a living then

fordboxer:

the maoster:

I was thinking exactly that, stupid I know, I was on a motorbike though, and it wasn’t a residential area, but needless to say it did teach me a lesson.

Years ago I was followed by a bloke on a Blackbird from Stokesly to Helmsley, he didn’t crowd me so consequently it didn’t turn into a ■■■■■■■ contest but I did spend most of the journey well north of 100 mph! I parked in the square and took my lid off at the same time as him at which point he identified himself as traffic police, showed his warrant card and pointed out the video equipment on his bike!

At this point I’m thinking “oh ■■■■, there goes my job” but he said “I’ve no problem with your riding, you didn’t do anything outrageous, and you treated other road users with respect, but the reason I’m not going to do anything about the high speed is that without fail everytime you passed a sign saying 30 you were doing 30”

That lesson stuck in my head!

fordboxer:
I had to go to court in 2010, for doing 83mph through a 30mph speed camera, I was sure I would lose my licence, didn’t have any hgv on it at the time. I had been out of work for a month or two previously, when the court heard I had recently got a job, i told them i needed my licence for work, their words were ‘we would rather keep you in employment, than you being unemployed’ so they awarded me with 6 points and a £115 fine. I was shocked to say the least. I can see the logic in that, but 29 points is beginning to take te ■■■■ I reckon.

That, is what’s known as A RESULT! Lucky laddie…