9 points and counting!

Just got a NIP in informing me I have been found speeding 50mph on the A977 (Kinross -Kincardine road) . I already have 6 points on so this takes me up to sqeekie bum terratory !
IF I get any more points what am I looking at ban wise ? Any ideas ■■
Am just doing worst case scenario the now , will need to drive every where at speed limits , yes I know I should be doing this but in all honesty who actualy does in this biz !

Cheers

I never speed, I also get paid hourly :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that mate must have been the wee van that sits about a mile past the big golfball looking structure that got you. See him parked in there a few times a week must be a good money spot for him.

Thats all you can do is stay 100% legal you’ve got no breathing space. Shame you never got offered that speed awareness cousre but i dont think any the forces do this up here.

Seen you a few times lately rather swanky irn-bru flag :laughing:

No speeding is not good and im salaried but still dont speed ( well maybe 43 in a 40 or 31 in a 30 ) but really that is it. 23 yrs driving still clean. :sunglasses:

All depends on what you get your next 3 points for? 2 of my brothers have hit 12 points in previous years and were allowed to continue driving, got a big fine though. I have also been at the 9 point stage and it’s not nice.

I’m afraid I am one of those drivers that likes to go at full tilt when possible :blush:

It is possible to sit on 12 points. The automatic ban only comes into effect if you have gained 12 points within a 3 year period, so given that most points stay on your licence for 4 years from either the date of offence or date of conviction (depending on the actual offence) you could be ok.

What were the first 6 points for, and when were the offences and actual convictions?

A totting up ban’s usually 6 months IIRC.

merc0447:
Sorry to hear that mate must have been the wee van that sits about a mile past the big golfball looking structure that got you. See him parked in there a few times a week must be a good money spot for him.

Thats all you can do is stay 100% legal you’ve got no breathing space. Shame you never got offered that speed awareness cousre but i dont think any the forces do this up here.

Seen you a few times lately rather swanky irn-bru flag :laughing:

Yip mate was the wee van in the lay-bye , best off it was i saw it and checked my speed and thought i was ok doing 50mph forgeting its 40mph on single track!!! (yes am a idiot ! )
coudnt belive it when the office phoned ,

For me, 6 points would be squeaky bum territory - its at the point where people won’t want to employ you if you end up looking for another job.

I bet you’ll be doing 40 down that road for a while now :laughing:

I got my first 3 points in 23 years and the thick end of 2 million miles on the A40 at Pencraig where the 50 limit is. Was going to watch rallying in Wales and tootling along at 60-ish. There was a white unmarked van parked up in the cafe there and as I passed I said to my mate I bet I got a letter in the post and sure enough a FPN arrived.

Can’t complain though - don’t think there’s enough fingers on the entire population of the UKs hands to count the number of times I’ve popped over the speed limit.

Hiya i had a bad day in 76.copper followed me christmas eve(i was on the sugar job)
he had no lights on and i,d got a tipper trailer(it was 9.30 at night) i was doing 53 in
the country side.i get to court with 3 points and expect 3 more points(endorsment in
them days) i get a 6 months ban.sod i did,nt expect that.
John

3300John:
Hiya i had a bad day in 76.copper followed me christmas eve(i was on the sugar job)
he had no lights on and i,d got a tipper trailer(it was 9.30 at night) i was doing 53 in
the country side.i get to court with 3 points and expect 3 more points(endorsment in
them days) i get a 6 months ban.sod i did,nt expect that.
John

i’v heard stories of them doing this on the a75 a few years back but just thought it was a myth

I have previously reached 12 and continued to drive as this was my living, however this was back in 1990 and previous convictions would surely be taken into account, fast forward to 2008 and I was banned for 28 days for doing 56 in a 30 (on a motorcycle).

I was annoyed at the time but I have no points on my license lots of employers have 6 points as the maximum which would be my bigger concern.

If you hit 12 points and do get a ban it will in all likelihood be 6 months then toward the end of the ban period you will be invited for tea and biscuits with the TC and get another couple of months before you can get your LGV back.

It is possible to plead special circumstances if you get to 12 points, exceptional hardship sort of thing and if you do a whole bunch of brown-nosing to the beak he can allow you to keep your licence.

Coffeeholic:
If you hit 12 points and do get a ban it will in all likelihood be 6 months then toward the end of the ban period you will be invited for tea and biscuits with the TC and get another couple of months before you can get your LGV back.

and you say

“…so you mean i triggered 2 red light and 2 speed cameras to get to this meeting on time for you to tell me it will be another 3 months before i get my hgv licence back. sheez, nice biscuits by the way” :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
It is possible to plead special circumstances if you get to 12 points, exceptional hardship sort of thing and if you do a whole bunch of brown-nosing to the beak he can allow you to keep your licence.

yes been there and done and got the second chance. albeit with a severe warning. to be fair i tend to think if you get caught speeding 4 times and accumulate 12 points you would be classed as a persistant offender and no amount of sweet talking would work.

mrpj:
A totting up ban’s usually 6 months IIRC.

Agreed, but IF you plead hardship coz of a ban, IF your previous offences weren’t anything to bad, and IF you wear a whistle and put on a good performance for the beak you could escape with just a fat fine and have an over decorated license. Do they do the speed awareness ‘training’ up there as an alternative?

And, just to throw this out there, you know, maybe you could keep to the speed limit?

Has anyone thought that if we all stayed to the limit at all times we could create more driving jobs. Rushing about benefits everybody but the poor sod doing it.

waddy640:
Has anyone thought that if we all stayed to the limit at all times we could create more driving jobs. Rushing about benefits everybody but the poor sod doing it.

Spot on. Totally agreed.

You are now in the 40 mph club! In all honesty if I was paid hourly, i’d do 45 mph in a 40, 40 is just too slow in my opinion, although I don’t knock blokes who want to do 40 who are paid by the hour as it’s the law and their licence. I think 45mph is a reasonable trade off as you’d still have chance to drop off if you clocked anything. I run my own so do crack on when road/conditions/40mph club allow.