Speeding ban

A friend of mine asked me to post this here, his name is steve baron.

Steve worked for lift out of goole.
Yesterday he went to court for accumilating 12 points and picked up a 6 month ban .
What steve would like to do is warn other drivers if you pick up your final 3 points in the borders area of scotland you will get an automatic 6 month ban.

Steve is not looking for sympathy and is not moaning, just trying to warn the unwary.

Is it not the same most places.

If your a car driver can go to court argue you need your licence etc… But ive heard before if you go to court and hold an HGV licence they give you no tollerance or leaway its always going to be you are a proffesional driver should have known better.

I know he is looking for no sympathy and no lectures, but wtf ! sitting on 9 points and not learning to slow down a bit. I can’t talk i sat on 9 points for two years, but decided to calm it down and not take a chance since i was in the last chance saloon with my licence if i got caught again.

Scotland is a lot more strict.

I got flashed by a camera doing 46 in a 40.
100 yards further down the road, in the same minute (on the fine letter) I got flashed again doing 42! I was busy looking in the mirror wondering if that “bloody camera flashed then” It did, so did the next one!
They had me for both, got 6 points for the 2 offences.
3am, bugger all on the road, coming into Broxton it was, just off motorway, about a mile before that whiskey brewery (I think) on the right.

Points came off last month for those. They had me for both because there was no central reservation, 40mph for lorries.

Ronaldo, i’m surprised you got done for the second one.

I thought 42 in a 40 would be within the allowance for errors?
(Ive heard up to 10% is allowed, i.e. 44 ok, 45 not)

There’s a guideline of 10% + 2mph but it’s not a rule.

I have heard that if two offences occur within a short distance they can be viewed as just one offence though.

206doorman:
Ronaldo, i’m surprised you got done for the second one.

I thought 42 in a 40 would be within the allowance for errors?
(Ive heard up to 10% is allowed, i.e. 44 ok, 45 not)

Is Allowed but not Compulsory I got flashed for 33 going out of a 30 limit to Join the A1 50yds before it bacame a dual carriageway :wink:

turnip:
A friend of mine asked me to post this here, his name is steve baron.

Steve worked for lift out of goole.
Yesterday he went to court for accumilating 12 points and picked up a 6 month ban .
What steve would like to do is warn other drivers if you pick up your final 3 points in the borders area of scotland you will get an automatic 6 month ban.

Steve is not looking for sympathy and is not moaning, just trying to warn the unwary.

Wouldn’t be the camera near Burnmouth on the A1 by any chance would it? :angry: :angry: :angry:
Frigging thing has flashed me twice and I’ve been under the limit both times. :imp: :imp: :imp:

My dad always said and I’ve seen it myself, that Dumfries & Galloway police are hot around Lockerbie.

Not a region I go speeding through. (and I like to take it easy on the M40 through Warickshire too)

I got flashed years ago by red-light camera in central london… I was in the first how-ever long it is when you can only have 6 points total and I allready had 3, so i went to court and told the judge I went through the red light to let an ambulance past… he didn’t ban me, but I still got the points and fine…

It’s nothing to do with being caught in the Scottish Borders, it’s the result of totting up. You get a ban for hitting 12 points, or 6 points in your first 2 years of driving. Totting Up Ban FAQ | 12 Penalty Points - Driving Ban

Everyone was surprised I got hit with both flashes, they expected just one. Nope, I got hit with both. 46mph and 42mph in a 50mph limit but no central reservation, therefore 40mph for HGVs. 100 yards apart.

Also it is not an automatic ban for 12 points, it’s at the court’s discretion. A few years ago I had 15 points on my licence. I was driving a company car and already had 3 points for speeding. I got stopped and taken to court, the insurance said it was null and void because the company did not declare my 3 points. I got 6 points for no insurance. Exactly the same happened again a few weeks later.
The judge in court agreed it was not intentional nor my fault but the fault of the company. He gave me another 6 points making 15 but did not ban me. The company got hit with a 4 figure fine!

Most of the time an automatic ban for having 12 points on your licence.

Unless you can prove the court some circumstances as above or can plead with the court you really need your licence for work. Heard of a salesman totting up to 12 points and getting a decent lawyer and pleading for his licence. In the end had the 12 points and was given a 2 week ban and a large 4 figure fine and that was lienent because he would loose his job if he had lost his licence for 3 or 6 months.

Unfortunatly in court it doesent seem to work that way for HGV drivers, its a case of you are supposed to be a proffesional driver and because of the damage we can cause in an accident they throw the book at his even if it means loosing your job.

me dad got 12pts didnt get banned.the judge said you should have been warned on 9pts that you will get banned if you get 3 more it helped that hes 64 and no chance of retrainig or getting another job if he got banned.they would rather you work than pay you doll money :slight_smile:

ok a single carriageway road with national speed limit, 40 for hgv, do speed cameras know the differance between cars and trucks or do they only get triggered at 60+

davedb67:
ok a single carriageway road with national speed limit, 40 for hgv, do speed cameras know the differance between cars and trucks or do they only get triggered at 60+

some do :wink:

davedb67:

Take it from one who knows,yes! :blush:

To be fair…the fact that HGV drivers know that the courts go heavy on them…keeps them a little bit in check…although…yes…before you say it…they still do some really dumb things…but imagine if the courts were soft like car drivers…

tartanraider:

davedb67:

I bloody second that!!!

davedb67:

Yes they know the difference.

Cameras have what is known as “mass detectors” in them, they can detect the “mass” of a vehicle, they detect the difference between say a motorbike and an artic. When an artic passes through the camera it detects a large mass and drops the speed limit to whatever (40mph in my case).

Steve-o:

tartanraider:

davedb67:

I bloody second that!!!

… and I third it.