Failed test again

Hello all…
This is my first post on here but I have been browsing for a few weeks and must congrtulate the creators for the information and help available . Anyway, as the subject heading says…I failed my test again today (class2) for the 4 th time. it’s got to the point now where it’s really knocking the confidence out of me and sometimes wonder just how do some manage to pass. I suppose I will just have to keep paying for additional lessons and tests but as you can imagine, it is by now becoming a real drain on my finances. And as others have said, has made me wonder whether it is worth it. Anyway, I have decided to battle on for now and hopefully will have another go in 2 weeks time with a half day’s lesson before-hand. I would like to ask the experienced of those on here if you think it is a good idea for me to try and get a day or so in the cab with sombody drining a class 2 range change or might it be counter productive and possibly teach me bad habbits? Thanks, David.

Bad luck and let’s hope you are successful next time.

What do you keep failing on?

Going out with someone else is unlikely to be helpful, particularly if they are on multi-drop, as they will be chasing their own tails.

:unamused: :unamused:

Sorry to hear about your test, good luck for the next one :slight_smile:

Welcome to Trucknet, Ader1. :smiley:

Sorry to hear that you keep failing, I too ask what it is you keep failing on?

Good luck with the next test.

Thanks for the sympathetic replies and encouragement. I failed the first due to lack of planning. Fair enough, I really was pretty poor looking back. Second time, I had a half day’s traing before-hand on another lorry which threw be a bit…and I failed on the reversing excercise. The one and only time for me to hit the barrier. Third time, it was awareness/planning and also undue hesitation. Been working on those and felt I was improving. Oh, yes, I went to another training company for this last test and the lorry had a Range Change Gearbox. Felt I got to grips with it but I made quite a bad mistake in gear change whilst exciting roundabout. I also had a serious fault on moving off. I know I stalled once on entry into a roundabout. I think that it will be a case of getting more use to the lorry. Today, they seemed to be down to my (how do you properly term it?) use of controls - gears, hand-brake/clutch use. Looking back, maybe I should have stuck with same training providers but I have learn some additional things from this one. I just hope I don’t kind of forgett what I have learn over the next couple of weeks. Bye the way, I did my test in Haverfordwest, West Wales. Told to do it there rather than Crosshands because it’s fairly small and for Crosshands they move onto Swansea which is much busier. Not sure if this reasoning holds water because I went round and round the town so many times I might as well have been in London! :open_mouth:

Not sure what you mean by poor planning? As for the second time, half a day’s training in an unfamiliar truck would probably confuse anyone and is not ideal for a test. I would agree with you when you say you should have stayed with the same training company as a range change takes extra practice.

Yes…it comes under Awareness/Planning. Examiner told me that I wasn’t planning when enterning roundabouts and was stopping each time almost before moving off rather than looking at what was approaching in other entrances to see if I could just move onto it and keep things flowing…The new trainer has been pretty good with helping me there but I agree with changing to the range change gearbox.

If your new instructor is good then it sounds like a case of getting used to the gearbox. As today’s mistakes seemed to be caused/linked by this you could very well be fine for your next test.

Sorry to hear you failed.You know your faults work on them and don’t panic.Listen to the instructor,and good luck for next time. :wink:

I have got to say that the last thing that you want to do is change trucks whilst you are learning - even more important to stick with one type of gearbox, it won’t throw you so much once you have more experience, but now it is a killer.

I am still finding that it takes a few hours to get used to a different truck (a month after the test), which can make things hard as I can be in a different truck every day. If they are “perfect” and present nothing new then not a problem, but throw in a new style of gearbox or a knackered clutch (what can I say - I have had a week in ERF’s) and the learning period increases. Personally I learnt in a straight six gearbox which I would recommend, even though I have mostly had trucks with range changers since.

Unless you are more comfortable in what you are driving you will spend more time thinking about the truck, rather than awareness of your situation and positioning etc. But most importantly stick with it, you will get there in the end !!

Sorry to hear about the problems as some one who passed on the fourth time I know how you feel. It does knock your confidence, but you seem to know where you are going wrong. I would stick with your current trainer as changing again definetly wouldn’t help your cause. I tend to have a problem with people telling me what I can or can’t do, so me and examiners are never going to hit it off. This may be an age thing, just call me Victor.
I went on to pass my class one, at the third attempt, so it doesn’t mean you can’t do it.
By the way having been out with other drivers I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Welcome to TruckNet UK Ader1 :smiley: and
sorry to hear you failed your test :frowning: and
good luck for the next one :smiley: .

i also failed my class 2 three times passed on the fourth also failed my c1 first time of all things the gear excercise but eventually things went well i passed so keep in there mate it will get there … i also stayed with the same training school,that helped me a great deal …
just wished there was an easy way to learn how to reverse …(.apart from me shutting my eyes and hoping its going the right way ) no i goal that often great way to excercise by the way goal= get out and look, picked up from this brilliant website… or in my case get out and laugh … honest mate i was heading over there it just went wrong oops
but best of luck x fingers for you bud
after i have delivered its normally cats ■■■■ =clear all the scene pray its still safe …

I recently passed class C on my third attempt and by all acounts it was a much worse test than the first to. Half of it in my opinion is luck, its either your day or its not and you will get through it eventually. You may very well go into your next test as I did with my third, with your confidence knocked, feeling that you’re in a hopeless situation and theres no end to the misery, and then pass the ■■■■ thing. Also at the end of the day, if you can, you have to carry on otherwise everything you’ve spent has come to nothing.

I think its scandalous that people such as yourself and me have to struggle our way through these incredibly expensive procedures when there is supposedly a driver shortage and the only thing that seems to be happening is a great desire from companies to simply import drivers from Eastern Europe and leave people like us struggling to get anywhere and once we do get there, the companies who have the so called shortage wont touch us because we’re either under 25 or dont have 2 years experience, or both.

You will get there in the end though mate, I garuntee it.

Yes, I would also say that luck plays a part in the outcome of a test.

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I will keep you posted.

Hello Ader1

Hard luck :confused: keep on plugging away if you can - the more time in the truck the easier it gets.
I agree with everything that has been said mate/miss.
Don’t give up we’re all in the same boat - boat? :open_mouth:
keep looking in here and you will see that you are not alone

aposhark

Keep at it, dont give up…and good luck for next time.

:smiley:
Matt

Bad, bad luck :frowning:

If it’s any consolation I’m having the same problem with class 1. Stupid errors like not looking over my right shoulder when moving off. Selecting 3rd instead of 1st and trying to hide it by correcting it… :unamused:

Having said that I’m more confident than ever for the next one… :wink:

As the other guys say keep going - it’s a lot of coin wasted to abandon it now. :slight_smile: