failed guys.....

Well firstly thanks for all the support leading upto my test on monday but i failed unfortunelty. Was really nervous but that wasn’t the reason i failed. Bloody skidded on the controlled stop, really surprised me it seemed really slippery. Odviously ive practiced them on roads and never locked up once, any advice on the controlled stop would be greatly appreciated. I was under the impression that if i failed on either the reversing or controlled stop, he would tell me and ask if i wanted to carry on with the test, so i didnt actually think id failed. I drove ok as well only picking up 6 minors but odviously too late. Im pressing for a restest as quick as possible but im concerned about the controlled stop a bit so like i said any advice would be great. Oh by the way if you over run it, ie not stopping with the back of the truck between the cones is that a definate fail?Anyway im not giving up just really gutted that i blew it and ive gotta go through all that panic again!
Cheers guys

Sorry to hear that you did not pass this go. Just think you will be better set for the next time as you will know exactly what to expect. I cant help on the controlled stop i’m afraid as it has been 10+ years since I did my test, as far as i’m concerned as long as i stop quicker then the vehicle infront then the stop was a good one :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I know when I had to retake my bike test I was less nervous 2nd time round, just remember that the UK LGV test is possibly the hardest driving test in the world!!!

Good luck next time round.

SORRY .to hear about the mishap with your test,okay as ROBERT the
BRUCE got told tryand try again,you only have to satisfy the testing
officer for your test, that you can do and will do next time,
When I need to stop the vehicle asp ;by placeing my foot gently but
firmly on the brake pedal and increase the pressure if you attack
the brakes with too much pressure they will lock up because the
transfer from the pedal to the disc or drum is mechanical and one
of the components will always be a little bit quicker as the others
due to normal wear. If the brakes start to lock up take your foot off
straight away ,keep the vehicle under control by firm control of the
steering wheel. this is how i DO IT but perhaps we may find some
more sugestions comeing in to help you.ALSO ask your school if
you can do more exersizes with this problem in mind, ALL best and
you will get through, OK,

Just remember it’s a “controlled stop” within the lenght of the vehicle, plenty of time imho…

Sorry to hear that you did not pass this time chenn_uk
but I am sure you will get it next time.

dont worry chenn I failed a driving assesment last week , but there will be next week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys, cant get a retest till next thursday but its booked, just a pity i cant do any driving till the day really.

steve_24v:
Just remember it’s a “controlled stop” within the lenght of the vehicle, plenty of time imho…

Like Steve says it is a ‘controlled (stop) braking exercise’, not an emergency stop like when you did your car test!!

Locking the wheels is not reason enough to fail. The vehicle is allowed to ‘skid’ so long as the examiner determines the vehicle to still be under control. The main ‘measuring tool’ for this definition is if the vehicle/combination stayed straight (in line); if the prime mover & trailer end up pointing (slightly) in different directions, then the examiner will probably mark it down as a ‘serious fault’.

One of my last students seemed determined to stop the combination in less than two day-cab lengths, never mind the whole vehicle. He passed.

As for continuing the test even though you have already ‘failed’ during the manouevring area exercises, the test will continue. It’s almost as if you have paid for a full test so you might as well do it all, if only to get the test report and see what needs to be worked on for next time. Imagine there are other areas of your drive that the examiner didn’t like; it’s better to find out then rather than during the next test and another exam fee.

Realistically, the only time a test will be terminated is if ‘ETA Verbal’ or ‘ETA Physical’ occurs. That is, ‘Examiner Takes Action’ verbal or physical, and this will be due to a situation that ‘poses a danger to the vehicle occupants or other road users and pedestrians’. Kerbing can fall into that bracket. Examiners don’t really like having to drive the truck back to the test centre :unamused:

When you said ‘stopping with the back of the truck between the cones’ did you mean during the reversing exercise? If so, the aim is to stop the rearmost part of the vehicle/combination in the marked box (which is not as big as it used to be!!). Touching the barrier is allowed - knocking it over is not!!

I know it’s easy said but try not to panic for your next test. Look at the Test Report and think about the 6 driving faults (minors); if you can get rid of them, GOOD!! The Controlled Braking Exercise is exactly that; it’s not an emergency stop!! The length of the vehicle to stop in, at 20 mph (32kmh) is a suprisingly long time; it’s not much more than heavy braking - it’s not an emergency stop!! (Did you get the message yet?? :wink: )

Good luck for the retest!!

Good luck with your next test Chenn, at least you know you can drive okay now :wink:.

good luck with the retest chenn just remember theres no panic to stop the wagon youve got loads of time

Sorry to hear you failed it this time, better luck next time.

Just a quick question. You have to stop the vehicle in it’s own length, is it two lengths on a wet surface, seeing as the braking distance has doubled?

Good luck for next Thursday Chenn, stick with it fella!!!

:cry: bad luck chenn i failed first but passed second time the exaimer told me after that he was just watching what i failed on first time cos he had already seen that i could do it. so have a practice on what you failed on.

Take your test in Ireland , jump in the wagon drive round the block afew questions on rules of the road and sign your pass cert…
:confused:
anyone that fails this should not be driving a car… :wink: