2nd LGV test on Tuesday

Ok, so I have my second test on Tuesday after failing the 1st one last week due to nerves, forgot to switch from high to low ratio and pulled away in 7th gear on the downward hill start didn’t stall the engine but it was a serious fault. :confused: :confused:

That was the only fault on the entire run, any tips to calm the nerves as I’m sure thats what ruined it.

Thanks in advance

WELCOME

Try KALMS herbal tablets and increase the amount as the test gets nearer

Just imagine that you’re showing the instructor how to drive.

I thought when I was doing my car test that my nerves would be shot, and they were before but as soon as I got in the car I knew I had to show him how to drive and that helped me a lot :slight_smile:

I cant give you any advice as i’m a reck when it comes to driving tests, but good luck and take your time. When i did my hill starts i looked down at the gearstick to make sure i was taking the right gear and nothing was ever mentioned. I was taught, “low for slow and high for fly” and that really helped me, i’m sure you already know that tho.

I failed twice. On my third test I just imagined it was my instructor sitting beside me and not the dreaded examiner. Helped me out.

Good luck next week Martin540.

Nerves can easily get the better of us - just take it easy and keep focused. I spent most of the afternoon screwing up gear choices and I’m on test tomorrow morning! The way I’m looking at it is that I’ve now got it all out of my system and tomorrow I’ll remember what gear I need to be in.

Same for you. You KNOW how to drive the truck and having made that mistake once then you’ve got it behind you.

Best of luck fella!! :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers,

Laz

blueovalcraig:
I failed twice. On my third test I just imagined it was my instructor sitting beside me and not the dreaded examiner. Helped me out.

I also did this and found it helped.

Good Luck. :slight_smile:

Lazlo:
Good luck next week Martin540.

Nerves can easily get the better of us - just take it easy and keep focused. I spent most of the afternoon screwing up gear choices and I’m on test tomorrow morning! The way I’m looking at it is that I’ve now got it all out of my system and tomorrow I’ll remember what gear I need to be in.

Same for you. You KNOW how to drive the truck and having made that mistake once then you’ve got it behind you.

Best of luck fella!! :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers,

Laz

Good luck with your test today!!

And thanks to the rest of you for your advice, I know what threw me last time and what I have to do now to get it right.

I think what really put me off is that my test and the test after mine was brought forward half an hour because the examiner wanted to finish early on the Friday so me being me and not wanting to make him late I rushed it and missed the all important high to low. Well this time he can wait for me, hopefully I’ll get the same bloke as he actually seems ok for a VOSA bloke. :astonished: :astonished:

Hi there, i failed mine also the first time due to nerves, could hardly keep my leg on the clutch it was jumping so much ! second time was every bit as nervous but was surprised to see the same examiner who remembered me from the previous test, put me at ease straight away although i still had some nerves ! He chatted the whole way round the test route !!
Best of luck for your test on tuesday, a friend of mine swears by bachs rescue remedy although never tried it myself, you buy it in boots give it a go and see if that helps ! :wink:

I might just give that a try, looking back on it although nervous I think it was rushing that buggered it up it was the only serious mistake I made apart from a couple of minors to do with signaling to early or late.

I used to have a lot of dealings with VOSA in my previous job a few years back when I done a bit of MOT testing for a few years and 99% of them were jumped up little fools that spent their entire life fault picking, I already told myself the examiner was going to be the same before I even met him, turns out he was a good guy and I was worried over nothing, now I know these examiners are a different breed to the ones that visit MOT stations and it’s a different enviroment I think I’ll be ok :unamused:

Martin540:
I might just give that a try, looking back on it although nervous I think it was rushing that buggered it up it was the only serious mistake I made apart from a couple of minors to do with signaling to early or late.

I used to have a lot of dealings with VOSA in my previous job a few years back when I done a bit of MOT testing for a few years and 99% of them were jumped up little fools that spent their entire life fault picking, I already told myself the examiner was going to be the same before I even met him, turns out he was a good guy and I was worried over nothing, now I know these examiners are a different breed to the ones that visit MOT stations and it’s a different enviroment I think I’ll be ok :unamused:

Is it me or are you confusing VOSA vehicle examiners with DSA driving examiners?

Yes I probably am confusing the 2 :confused: But where I live in Poole the ministry MOT station and the DSA testing station are all in the same building, they all dress the same with clipboards and bright yellow vests and they never ever smile :unamused: some of them look like they are doing a life sentence and other (the ones that carry out class 7 tests) have the evil smile of the devil :smiling_imp:

Martin540:
Yes I probably am confusing the 2 :confused: But where I live in Poole the ministry MOT station and the DSA testing station are all in the same building, they all dress the same with clipboards and bright yellow vests and they never ever smile :unamused: some of them look like they are doing a life sentence and other (the ones that carry out class 7 tests) have the evil smile of the devil :smiling_imp:

I wonder if Poole is one of the VOSA/DSA depots that are due to be closed and that is why no-one is happy?