Failed class 2 on friday 16th april 2010 @ enfield

hi all
feeling realy down just completed 4 days training (class 2) with test on fifth day was realy nervous and fluffed my gear changes up left the range change switch in low when i need it in high as a result i wanted 5th and put it in 1st gear making cars break sharply behind us , so i failed also told i missed an indication on a round about (was told by examiner to go right at roundabout where as my instructor was telling take 3rd exit so i asked examiner all he said all i want is right at roundabout as sutch i got flustered and forgot to indicate ). and missed my blindspot check when pull off , felt realy uncomfortable with examiner i think he spoke to me twice other than giving directions .
not sure weather to go for retest or just forget it completly and stick to 7.5 ton if i do go for retest im looking at nearly 300 pounds .
i was training mon to thursday but felt trainer was rushing me i felt i was only just starting to click with my last drive before the test , i feel i needed another day or maybe two , with 1 or 2 extra days i think my nervs would have not been a problem .
i was made redunant in feb and this was a long time ambition of mine but now i realy feel like not bothering , my training was funded because i was made redunant , so now i have to find 300 pounds if i go for it and thats if i pass.
i was training in a scania 17 ton .
would like some advice should i continue and raise the money or not bother .

dandare

I would say keep at it mate…:confused:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome d4nd4r3 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

d4nd4r3:
was told by examiner to go right at roundabout where as my instructor was telling take 3rd exit

When I was instructing I always started with something like - at the roundabout right turn, third exit, signed ‘X’ - so that the trainee got used to lots.
Examiners can do one or many of these on test - they can just say follow the signs for ‘X’ please and leave everything else up to the driver - just like in real life :slight_smile:

d4nd4r3:
i was training mon to thursday but felt trainer was rushing me i felt i was only just starting to click with my last drive before the test , i feel i needed another day or maybe two , with 1 or 2 extra days

Was the length of the training determined on your pre training assessment drive before the course was booked :question:

d4nd4r3:
my training was funded because i was made redunant

Lucky you :smiley:

d4nd4r3:
now i have to find 300 pounds

What do the funding people say about retests as you could use the argumnet that it will be their money down the drain if they refuse :bulb: :bulb: :question:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

A read of THIS POST may be useful before job hunting.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Think yourself very lucky that you got funding,a lot of people would be very grateful of that.Unless you try again you are wasting my and all the other tax payers money.Put your own money up front and don’t expect to be bailed out.You must have considered that you might not have passed first time before you accepted the funding.There have been plenty worse off than you that just got on with it.When people give up, the Government will begin thinking that it’s a waste of money to pay for training and pull the plug and nobody will get anything.

it cost me £2.500 with pass protection out my own pocket with pathways two and a half years ago but never looked back best thing i did

Try again if you can raise the cash, you know what the examiner is looking for now.

I think the key to this is…
Was a pre training assessment drive done before the course was booked :question:

My GUESS would be NO as the training funding only covered a 5 day course and no more which leaves the out of work person, who has no money to spare as they have used up all their savings being on the dole, with no other option but to give up !!

I could be wrong…

I will fess up here and now,it took me 7 attempts at class 2 in 2004 each retest was £200,some failures were down to nerves and others were borderline “grumpy old men” examiner decisions,i was eventually passed by the chief examiner of west yorkshire, a lady in her late 30’s , at the time ,who was very friendly and put me at ease, still to this day the hardest thing i have ever done in my life,but i never gave in and when the fee’s increase, it compounds the problem and makes things worse ,both my dad and brother helped me out with the money, you must keep going, if you want it badly enough !!!. good luck

hi hope the above replies spur you on and you rebook your test asap! I start my weeks practical on 26th April so am currently looking forward to it at this stage.
Best of luck for your next attempt. :wink:

chin up mate just do it than happy days

Keep at it mate, I have passed my class 1 thankfully 1st time and everytime i get into a truck( on the rare occasion i get work) i love it and never want to get out. I was lucky enought that my father in law helped me and payed for it £3500 in total and i also used pathway for back to back course including ADR, so the same company as ice-man. Would reccomend doing ure test again, poss see bout getting funding again. When i did my ADR course i had a bloke on there that had all his training funded and he took 3 times to get his class 2 and twice for class1. Keep ure head up and dont give in the rewards will be worth it. Good luck

thanks for the replys guys i will go for retest as my instructor said its down to me i know my mistakes and only i can put em right as you said at least i know what to expect next time .
i ve decided to try at get my self a 7.5 ton job for time being th en as soon as possible i will retest with 2 or 3 hours tuition the day before the test i know im nearly there as i just started clicking just got to get my preparations in correct order or as my instructor said tick the boxes , at least if i can get my self some 7.5 ton work i can get some road experiance with larger vechicle hope fully the 3 hours tuition should help me with my range changing ( my only mistake was selection low range then changing mind to go high and not switching it back to high range ) .
so thank you all for the input has realy given me hope and the will to fight on and pass .

:wink:

d4nd4r3:
…would like some advice should i continue and raise the money or not bother .

dandare

Hi d4nd4r3,

I’m sorry to hear that you failed your test. :frowning:

Depending on your circumstances, it might be possible for you to access some funding for another attempt at gaining your LGV licence.

Suggestions:

• Try going back to the first place as suggested by ROG
  • Try phoning colleges in your area, cos some of them may have a logistics department that might be able to access funding that’s unobtainable elsewhere.
  • The Jobcenter might also be able to access funding for you, but please be aware that this does vary considerably from region to region.

Then, of course, there’s your idea of working to get the money together yourself, or your other idea of giving up. I think this is the first decision for you to make, then if you decide to go ahead, you can try the above before spending any of your own money. :wink:

Good luck whichever way your decision goes. :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome punchy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

punchy:
I start my weeks practical on 26th April

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful.

punchy:
hi hope the above replies spur you on and you rebook your test asap! I start my weeks practical on 26th April so am currently looking forward to it at this stage.
Best of luck for your next attempt. :wink:

Hi punchy,

It’s good to see new guys like yourself coming in and using the forum, so please have a look around and ask questions if there’s some info you need. If you share your training experience in here, us older hands and the trainers can give you pointers. :wink:

A click of ROG’s signature at the bottom of his posts will land you in a whole world of useful info. :smiley:

ace 1:
chin up mate just do it than happy days

Hi ace 1,

Glad to have you aboard. :smiley:

Hi i was same mate failed at my first try at class2 so can understand where your coming from,i felt crushed after doin 2 jobs,one full time and then goin and mopping coaches out til 11pm on a night just to save for my class2 lessons and test fees and keep a roof over my girlfriend and childs heads, DONT GIVE UP mate it will happen if you want it enough,i failed on sumet trivial and then just scraped thru my 2nd go aswell. 6mths later i was passing my class 1 first time and driving artics.It is a nervous time taking tests most on here will symaphise with you but being over confident is just as bad in my eyes,so chill out try relax and enjoy it if possible,you can do it! dont give up,good luck for next time mate.

stick at youll get there as funny as it sounds practice gear changes with a mop handle and a kitchen chair youll get some funny examiers and youll get good ones try if nerves are a problem something special/keepsake in your pocket that makes you smile i keeped something of my dads in mine ask the job center about a lvp low value procurment its eu funds i think but i think the job center dropped hgv funding unless you had a guaranteed job at the end of it as so many without the expierence no job ended up back on the dole,could be wrong on that one though,pester the life out the jobcenter,and if they do send you to a outside agency make sure it isnt just that skills assesment rubbish

Hi dieseldave
Thanks for the welcome and a big hi to everyone. Birthday today 18th, 51 and climbing :smiley:
Passed class 2, 2 years ago 2nd time and passed class 1, 2 months ago, so never say never and your never to old!
Have been a breakdown recovery driver for the last 16 years and wanting a new challenge. I have got agency interviews this week,so hope something will come up!

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome ace 1 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

ace 1:
I have got agency interviews this week,so hope something will come up!

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful.