Failed Class C again

Well I failed again on the same things as last time, lol, only having 4 hours extra traning, I already said to the guys look Im going to book another week and my instructor said I didnt need it, lol seems I did as last time I got 1 serious and 11 minors this time I got 3 serious with a total of 15 faults, serious being undue hesiation, gears and change speed which strangely is marked as 2 with a s tick, thought it was meant to be 3 faults anyway, Im really not that bothered I knew yesterday after the 4 hour drive I was stuffed :laughing: I was still messing up the range change, And when I went out there was traffic everywhere tailbacks you name it, ~I had it, maniacs coming headon overtaking people, I wasn,t nervous at all, just over cautious, I am a little annoyed that I spent 390 quid when I was more than happy to book another week at 830, when I knew inmyself I needed much more time to nail the splitter box, and get over the undue hesitation problem, but hey ho, my instructors are great they just put more faith in me than they should have :blush:

Sorry to hear that it went pear-shaped :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you are adamant that you need extra training then go for it - as instructors, we do not get it right all the time and there are times when the trainee knows best in regard to their own perceived abilities & confidence. An instructor may be positive that a trainee is capable of passing the test if they just “keep it together” for that hour but, if the trainees mind strongly says “I just aint positive”, then it is up to the trainee to make the final decision. Instructors do try and encourage positive thoughts but no two people are the same.

The examiners may put 1 or 2 minors in a section but then that is over-ruled if a serious is done. They may keep putting minors in a section but when it becomes 3 or 4 then it is deemed that it is an ongoing fault and a serious is marked.

What time of day was your test?

Time of day was 8.30 but by the time we got out on the road it ws more like 8.50 straight into a traffic jam :slight_smile: my first test, was better same stupid mistakes but the saturday morning was a nice drive, Yes I forgot to flick the switch a few times because I lost track of the gear I was actually in, which is why I said I would book another week, my instructor said I didnt need it, and would be wasting money, to be fair to him 2 4 hours plus retests came to less than a weeks course plus you get two hits at it although in reality your losing 6 or 7 hours training. Trouble is after a 3 weeks out and going in a different truck with a different instructor and it was dark in the last 2 hours 2 till 6 all very different situations, my instructor said im a really good driver, I just keep picking up silly minors

there are pros and cons for doing the rush hour test - i think it depends what type of general drivers you encounter. London ones tend to shove and push whereas midland ones tend to give more space - GENERALLY SPEAKING.

The time gap between tests can be a prob when training companies have courses pre-booked that need those available tests and they have to “fit in” a retest when poss - the busier the company, the longer the wait for retest, usually.

You’ll crack it soon.

I was all over the place with the gears, but then if I was heading for 5th after second, it looked better if I just went with it than deciding I’d go for fourth half way through the change.

I almost came a cropper on progress. I think some examiners like to see you speeding! I hadn’t seen rain all week until the afternoon of the test and had been nagged at all week not to shoot out of junctions.:imp:

I found driving in traffic easier as you just have to follow everyone else and not set the pace. The only thing was remembering what time it was for the bus lanes.

That said, I would have been rubbish on 8.30am test. All my morning drives were terrible!

I thought more than 2 minors in the same box and you’re bust?

macplaxton:
I thought more than 2 minors in the same box and you’re bust?

Not true - I’ve seen 4 minors in the same box without a serious - not all examiners test the same :open_mouth: - I’M NOT JOKING

4?!?!?!

Suppose then it boils down to discretion. How was the rest of that drive? Did it impress the examiner enough to give benefit of doubt?

macplaxton:
4?!?!?!

Suppose then it boils down to discretion. How was the rest of that drive? Did it impress the examiner enough to give benefit of doubt?

DSA Examiners are a law unto themselves :open_mouth: - who else, other than themselves, can they be compared to :question:

I phoned them today and asked when the soonest retest would be with 4 hours training, thing if its less than two weeks it might be worth going for, if its three weeks or more I will be wasting my time again, I will find out tomorrow, if that is the case im waiting till mid january when the christmas and new year rush calms down and booking another week with a saturday test, at least I will have had around 40 hours training that way and theres no substitute for expert training if you can afford it. if I cant get the gears by then I need shooting.

Rizz:
if I cant get the gears by then I need shooting.

If the prob was almost anything but gears then you could have possibly practised in your own vehicle but It now seems to me that the number one problem is gears since they introduced the 8 ratio gear rule

Gutted for you mate - keep at it :wink:

stick at it mate and you will get there, then you see it was worth the effort :wink:

ROG:

Rizz:
if I cant get the gears by then I need shooting.

If the prob was almost anything but gears then you could have possibly practised in your own vehicle but It now seems to me that the number one problem is gears since they introduced the 8 ratio gear rule

Yet, from January 1st 2008 the Gear Exercise will be deleted! I do find that quite strange to be honest, as PCV tests (Cat. D includng subcategories and trailers) and Cat. C1/C1E tests are not subject to the Ratios requirement - they could turn up in a standard 6-speed Volvo B10M or Scania VanHool with no Gear Exercise!

I know someone said that the Gear Exercise is being deleted due to the 8 Ratio Rule, but like I said that only applies to LGV (not C1 and C1E) tests!!

Richard
:slight_smile:

from January 1st 2008 the Gear Exercise will be deleted!

Only proposed at the moment.

Gear Exercise is being deleted due to the 8 Ratio Rule, but like I said that only applies to LGV (not C1 and C1E) tests

I don’t think that C1 vehicles are made with more than 6 gears - but I stand to be corrected.

I hear that this is set in stone from Januasry 1st.

I also hear that they are talking about doing awaya with the braking excersise now all training vehicles have to have ABS.

Personally I think it is a great mistake. Madness even. There are so many accidents out there involving trucks it tells me that all truckers are not good drivers and reducing the test is going to make it even worse by putting more less capable drivers on the road.

I have always believed that truckers are professional drivers and the creme de la creme of drivers but the way the DSA are going with the tests some will be just as bad as white van men - only more dangerous because the vehicles are bigger.
God help us all :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I also hear that they are talking about doing awaya with the braking excersise now all training vehicles have to have ABS.

Personally I think it is a great mistake. Madness even. There are so many accidents out there involving trucks it tells me that all truckers are not good drivers and reducing the test is going to make it even worse by putting more less capable drivers on the road.

I have always believed that truckers are professional drivers and the creme de la creme of drivers but the way the DSA are going with the tests some will be just as bad as white van men - only more dangerous because the vehicles are bigger.
God help us all :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Mothertrucker:

Who’s been whispering sweet nothings in your ear Mothertrucker :question: :wink: :laughing:

Well they can give me a extra 4 hours plus retest in two weeks, so around 5.5 hours training prior to test, or I can wait untill january and book another full weeks course, having said that theres nothing to say I still wont fail after a weeks course, so its a hard to work out the best option, can I crack the gears in 5.5 hours, for instance in 4 hours I might miss the gear 7 or 8 times on both tests i did it 4 times in an hour, hmm what to do. My driving isnt in question, its just the gears, I will pull out on people next time seen as playing safe leads to undue hesitation.

Rizz:
Well they can give me a extra 4 hours plus retest in two weeks, so around 5.5 hours training prior to test, or I can wait untill january and book another full weeks course, having said that theres nothing to say I still wont fail after a weeks course, so its a hard to work out the best option, can I crack the gears in 5.5 hours, for instance in 4 hours I might miss the gear 7 or 8 times on both tests i did it 4 times in an hour, hmm what to do. My driving isnt in question, its just the gears,

Work out the financial options - how much to get 4 hours including test x2 or a full course including 1 test chance
As for those gears - I assume it’s a range change with a switch - think of a H on top of a H and just remember what range you are in, feel the switch before changing - it can help if you stick a plan of the gearbox on the dash in front of you whilst training but not allowed on test.

I will pull out on people next time seen as playing safe leads to undue hesitation.

pulling out WILL get you a fail for a serious - undue hesitation is more likely to get you a minor unless you miss an easy out which causes you to hold up traffic behind you unnecessarily.

[I will pull out on people next time seen as playing safe leads to undue hesitation.]

Be careful here Rizz. When someone fails a test on something like this, it is so easy to go too far the other way. There is a vast difference between caution and hesitation.

Caution is what the examiner is looking for in all situations.

Hesitation is a different animal, it causes uncertainty in other drivers which can lead to them making the wrong decision. Your instructor will tell you more about this.

Good luck with your next test.
[/quote]