F88 UAG 999R Restored

youtube.com/watch?v=4sT7Fw0 … zUsbt3Rujw

F88 UAG 999R Thought about going back on the road tramping, but then I had another thought, Let some one else have all the VOSA & H&S crap, I’ll just move the trailer out of the way so that I can get back in the garage. :smiley:

yorkyjoy:
F88 UAG 999R Thought about going back on the road tramping, but then I had another thought, Let some one else have all the VOSA & H&S crap, I’ll just move the trailer out of the way so that I can get back in the garage. :smiley:

Nice - brilliant pic! And I enjoyed the clip. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

Hi
I don’t,t know if origin of UAG,s registration was sorted but to the best of my knowledge the AG suffix was the registration for the now defunct Humberside County, of which Beverley was the county seat.
The suffix,s AT RH and KH were the registrations of Hull City

This ties in with UAG being registered. by Crossroads at Beverley.I think that Crossroads address would have been in the old Humberside County before the present East Yorkshire county was formed from the split up of Humberside.
I know that Crossroads are refered to as being in Hull but were they with the old county boundaries?

Cheers. Bassman

Hi there Bassman UAG was most certainly first registered in Beverly as we have the old logbook, David Chantry who bought UAG new gave us loads of information on it and we see him quite often as he sponsors us for the East Yorks to Sewerby Rd run. He keeps asking us to repaint it in his colours, Shall have to see what the future hold’s .

Hi,Yorkyjoy

I didn’t wish to give the impression that I doubted what you said about UAG’s registration.
I wanted to back up what you said about it being registered in Beverley, sorry to cause any confusion.

Incidentally, I remember UAG in Chantrys ’ colours early on in it’s life and although it’s in your own colours you have done a marvelous restoration job on it.
Well done

Bassman

Just setting off for the 2014 Trans-Pennine Rd Run M62 Birch Services To Harrogate Stray.

Playing with the big boys.

yorkyjoy:
Playing with the big boys.0

Looks good, but really needs 4 spotlamps in the bumper in my opinion

S1230178.JPG
S1230178.JPG

Nene%20tandem%20axle%20low%20loader%20trailer-550x356.jpg

Hey Yorkyjoy, brillant restauration tractor and trailer, well done.
And I have de privilege to keep such worn-out trailers in condition for daily work. :smiley: :smiley:
But like to do it, and it pays very well. :slight_smile:

Eric,

flickr.com/photos/142508747 … 456070125/

yorkyjoy:
Playing with the big boys.0

Nice motor , I pulled a “float” trailer for a while between Bradford and Eggborough a few years back with a Scania 113 380 topliner when we were bought by Saint Gobain. Are Campeys related to H.Campey who had the blue Fodens years back?

I have the T shirt working on F88s with 240/290 engines in them.
Tappets setting 1,2,4,5,8 and,9. then 3,6,7,10,11 and 12.

I love to see them back to life.
A big well done.
Cheers Welly

The History of UAG 999R as we know it.
Bought By Chantry Farms Goole East Yorks in 1997 and put to work delivering vegetables to the London wholesale markets
Sold to Danskin-Strathkinness in Scotland in 1983 and driven by Mr P Mc-Intyre on general haulage untill 1989 when it was resold to Inta-Site haulage Pollington Nr Goole and put to work in the brick and block industry until 1991 when it was retired to yard shunter and then in 1999 retired to the scrapheap.
In 2003 it was bought by Son of yorkyjoy and restored over the next six years (Big Job)entirely by himself apart from the times when three hands were needed and was put back onto the road in May 2009 just in time to go to the Peterborough and Croft Truck Fest’s were it was very well received.
During 2009 it was entered at quite a few vintage and steam rallies ending up at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in september were out of over four hundred trucks it was the only F88 entered and recieved a very good revue and lot’s of attention.
The only picture we have of it’s working days is the Danskin photo and wondered if any of you older generation HGV truckers may have any pictures of it when it worked for Chantry Farms or Inta-Site haulage or indeed any information at all would be greatly appreciated please.
The truck is now painted in the colours of local haulier Mr Ken Parrott (For who I used to work in my younger days)and a very good family friend.

The history of UAG as told by David Chantry.
Reason for purchase, To replace an ageing AEC marshal SWX 599L.
The work; To transport potatoes from Yorkshire to Mosspak Potatoes at Trentam nr Stoke on Trent and green peas and swedes to wholesale markets in London and the Midlands. Poatoes were hauled in bulkers to Mcains at Scarborough and Whittlesey also sugar beet to York.
The Buyer; Bought by David Chantry who at the time was only 18 years old. Credit goes to Tony Atkinson of Crossroads Hull sales rep, for taking on an 18 year old lad seriously. However it has to be said the relationship was helped by the fact that Tony lived next door to Nick Forman with whom David went to Agricultural college.

Truck purchased; Went on the road 1st June 1977 bearing the name Juilee Queen due to the Queen’s Silver Jubilee. The reg no of 999 was the best available connotation of 599 which was Lewis Chantry’s phone no before STD as he always tried to get 599 on his No plates,(owning 6 or 7 599 plates at one stage).
The cost new was £16,080.00.

The drivers; The original driver was Bryan Swales(now famous for Inta-site) until the first Volvo F10 Reg,HKH339Vin August 1979. UAG then passed to the hands of Andy Garrett. In spring of 1980 Bryan left to join Darlows Potatoes of Sandy Beds. One of Chantry’s potato customers who just happened to have a secretary called Dawn, who fell for Bryans charms, later to become Mrs Swales. Andy moved onto HKH and Dave Walker joined Chantry’s to take over as regular driver of UAG until it’s sale in 1983. It was replaced with another F10 Reg,A444GBE. Although UAG always had a regular day driver, it regularly worked nights and weekends driven by several part time drivers including Robin Smith,Richard Fawbert,Ian Nicholson and once reaching 21, David Chantry.

Disposal; After six and a half years of largely trouble free motoring UAG was P/X to John Hebb where it later went to Danskins of Cupar, but was still regularly seen at York sugarbeet factory collecting sugarbeet pulp. Sale price,£4000.00.

I believe Bryan (Inta-site) bought UAG, painted it red, John Shaw overhauled the engine and UAG was put to work at Celcon.
Bryan having returned from Sandy with Dawn, got a job with Goole Warehousing & distribution Services by way of recommendation from Lewis Chantry who was a political ally of Edward Cretney, who previously ran Hauliers of Goole. Bryan had made such a good impression on the powers that be at Celcon, he was given a chance to go on his own and Intasite was born, and it all started with UAG 999R.

30-06-2010 Many thanks to David Chantry for this information and Steve Whitaker for sending it to us. :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

24-06-2010 Very greatfull to Steve for finding these pictures for us.

These are just a few pictures of it’s rebuild

As found at the Inta-Site yard :confused:

Donor unit for spares.

Started stripping it down.

Bet you ain’t seen a Turbo like this one before :cry:

Engine stripped for rebuild.

Had to make new header tanks.

The cab was more holes than tin. :cry:

Had to make some of the panels

Cab going back on.

5th wheel mounting, had to start again.

Sandblasting all the unit

Starting to paint

Starting to make the silencer

First time running since rebuild

Gettin trailer ready for painting

Peterborough Truck Fest May 2009 :laughing: :smiley:

Croft Truck Fest May 2009

Trans Pennine Road Run August 2009

The Great Dorset Steam Fair September 2009 :laughing:

You have done a great job of restoring your 290 hp Volvo F88.Its got me thinking does any one know if two of the F88’s that my dad drove on the 70/80’s are still alive! They were FCR371L a 240 hp with a 16 speed box and BLV320K a 240 hp witha 8 speed box .They were at the time owned by a man called Koopmans who lived at Alderbury by Shrewsbury , Shropshire uk.
Tony

As far as I knew Brian drove that one from new for Chantry and that was the reason he bought it. Around 1989/90 I took it for a bimble around Barmby and Asselby. Kev Challenger on these forums has some info and photos of Chantry’s and some of the drivers. My mate was Richard Fawbert from Hook who I haven’t seen for about 5 years, he also drove for Chantry and some of the older drivers work for him now.

If anyone has any photos it could be them, or try giving Trevor a call at DG Taylor Commercials although I am not sure whether he would have been at Crossroads when they sold that F88.

Nice pictures though and there is a mention of your truck on another thread in here.

Another local in your area to run an F88 was Dave Atkinson working for Pulleynes at Cliff and HPD from Eastrington

Thats a lovely looking motor, a real credit to you well done