F88 Still Working

Passed a Volvo F88 this morning on the A14 near Thrapston.
It is still obviously earning a good living for the owner. It had an empty log trailer on the back and looked like it had had some serious work ahead.
No glitz and whistles.
It must have been well over 25 years old could not get the full reg but it ended in 921L.
The driver did not look too comfy big coat on must have been cold in there.
Any one have any idea who, what, where, of the owner.

Have a good week

Crispie
:smiley: :smiley:

it was featured in a t&d article a while back :smiley:

More like 35 years old as L reg was 72/73 i think

Do trucks that old become tax exempt like cars?, also would it be before tachos and therefore not need one?.

Just a thought…

Ive seen it too I bet its paid for itself many times over so he is probably a rarity in haulage and making a vast profit well done that man .

This old motor was covered in a article in one of the Truck Mags about 18mths ago? Not sure if the o/d has had it from new and just kept it working but it was certainly still doing a tough job every day. IIRC he was doing his best to run it out to his retirement rather than put a big wedge into something brand new or newish that he might still be liable for after he’d called it a day.

iirc he got it off his old gaffer i think he has drove it from new and his boss called it a day and gave him the truck n trailer

my truck is 25 years old(a volvo f10 wrecker).i still prefer it to many modern rides(i’ve been in just about everything european).
when i see that f88(9) i think it’s great.i’ve seen it fully loaded with logs nearly always on the a14…fantastic.
shame he’s not on here.be nice to hear him.

This was covered a while ago in the old truck section on another thread
there was quite a bit of info on it and photos.Goes really well i saw it going
over Poulner hillRingwood loaded overtaking everything. :laughing:

It’s Bob Carmichael - he’s still carting-on with the F88 after taking it on when the previous owner packed-up (who he drove it for)

Like several people have already mentioned, this has been covered in feature articles in the comics.

Was this the same one that used to pull containers around the Goole / Scunthorpe area? I used to see it a lot on the M18 and I’m sure the reg sounds familiar :confused: It was a grey cab then (6 - 8 years ago)

Limestone Cowboy:
Was this the same one that used to pull containers around the Goole / Scunthorpe area? I used to see it a lot on the M18 and I’m sure the reg sounds familiar :confused: It was a grey cab then (6 - 8 years ago)

nah different fella iirc that chap was based near doncaster

gonzothejaffa1:

Limestone Cowboy:

nah different fella iirc that chap was based near doncaster

He was based at Brigg. It was in grey and a day cab 3 axle unit

more info and pics on said volvo here :slight_smile: trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

Limestone Cowboy:

That motor was an unusual one as it was a day cab it was actually for sale
on ebay either last year or early this year.