Anyone know this old Volvo?

Just saw an old F88 going down the M 1 near Barnsley. It was in its working clothes and pulling a log trailer. It was an early one with the stainless (or chrome) grille. (Anyone remember air wipers)!!!
It made my day and took me back to the bad old times when my 2 colleagues…though that word was yet to be invented, had F88`s and I had an AEC Mandator…jees, I’ve come over billious just thinking about that piece of junk. It did hundreds of miles without breaking down though, sometimes as much as 300. But you were happy to break down because that meant you didn’t have to drive the thing! I yearned for an F88 as did most folk.
Anyone know the score on the blue one I saw today? It looked busy.

I’ve seen the same one many times, usually found north of the M62 iirc. A proper working truck too, not a show motor at all.

google adh921l ,loads of photos on flickr.

Seen it loads. Great motor no speed limiter! One of the trucking mags done a piece on it a few years ago.

earlier this year i joined the slow moving traffic on the A34 at Oxford…and there amongst the modern dross was the blue F88! :sunglasses: :smiley:

Blue tag axle? Think it’s from Wales but it’d quite famous to still be working hard

youtube.com/watch?v=IlQiLNbGHsc

He must get around quite a bit. I’ve seen it down on the A350 around Trowbridge.

Can’t be too many of them around so I’m guessing it’s the same one.

image.jpgThis one■■?

it’s great to see an old motor being used for what it was intended…i havn’t got over S.Harrison and Sons from Sheffield parking up their Scammell’s yet! :frowning:

Well it certainly brightened up my day.
Just to show my anorak credentials, it was the earlier model which had air wipers. Pivoted at the top of the screen and very noisy as I remember.
When one of the other lads was on hols I jumped in their F88 and my awful AEC was parked up. No agencies then and the boss never really thought about vehicle downtime and maximising vehicle earnings potential.
It wasn`t all bad!

That was in Trucking last October I think. Its a bit like triggers broom, about the only thing on that is original is the cab. IIRC its running a 460 engine from the FH12 on its original gearbox but I’d have to dig out the article to be sure.

No I am not really sad, but I was published in that issue too so it sticks in my memory.

I had a good chat with the owner at Gaydon retro truck show a couple of years back, sound bloke.
The trailer is older than the motor as well :wink:

Drove one here in Oz in '75. Nine speed road ranger. nice old beast.

Just Google Bob Carmichael Volvo F88.

It’s known as a proper shed what everybody wants a go in, including me!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: