E&j meeks.hauling blackstuff

anyone remember this company from the 80.s or any pics of them.

Remember em well,I should think an awful lot should considering they used to head the convoy regularly down South Wales during that bit of trouble with the pits.I can hear the song on the cb now,“I’m comin home I’ve done my time,I’m heading back up on the 449” after a week running the gauntlet.

My father bought his 1st Artic from them Volvo F7 (DFE 776X) it came complete with a tandem axle trailer fitted with a Hiab brick crane. have a photo of it still in meeks livery, will dig it out. Dan

JohnyRose63:
anyone remember this company from the 80.s or any pics of them.

thanks dan that would be nice :smiley: . i use to drive one of there old f10s A102 UOL.dont know which depot
it came from . as the bloke i worked for back then bought 2 A103 UOL as well. i remember them running a bit of a mixed fleet dafs erfs volvos pulling tanks and tippers depots at kirkby in ashfield notts. newport sth wales. middlesborough.think he made a bob or 2 on the miners strike back then. thanks johny rose. :slight_smile:

JohnyRose63:
thanks dan that would be nice :smiley: . i use to drive one of there old f10s A102 UOL.dont know which depot
it came from . as the bloke i worked for back then bought 2 A103 UOL as well. i remember them running a bit of a mixed fleet dafs erfs volvos pulling tanks and tippers depots at kirkby in ashfield notts. newport sth wales. middlesborough.think he made a bob or 2 on the miners strike back then. thanks johny rose. :slight_smile:

Did’nt one depot get burnt out, inc trucks when the strike was on?

I remember when I was at school I used to see them pulling up Taddington by-pass on the A6 heading towards Buxton. I always wondered what became of them.

I can’t remember who sent me these so apologies may be in order…
Taken on the A48 IIRC.

Chris.

very interesting pics them chris but nice to see anyway i seem to remember them crashing quite a lot back then :slight_smile: as for one of the depots getting burnt down not to sure about that.

JohnyRose63:
very interesting pics them chris but nice to see anyway i seem to remember them crashing quite a lot back then :slight_smile: as for one of the depots getting burnt down not to sure about that.

I never worked with them,just saw a lot of them when on tankers. I know they worked into and out of BSC Chemicals Orgreave plant and gave LPG Transport a run for their money,so they didn’t hang about. :laughing:

JohnyRose63:

Bloody Hell John. I forgot about that old F10 when you worked for Burgler Bill :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got vague memories of them having a few burnt out in Kirkby. My dad was working for bill shepperson at the time on tippers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wheel Nut:

JohnyRose63:

Bloody Hell John. I forgot about that old F10 when you worked for Burgler Bill :stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile: i came across it the other day thought i know were this belongs gadge :laughing:

I worked in the garage for them from 89-96. My old man worked there also in the garage from late 77-84ish.

The miners strike fire took about 3-4 ERFs parked in the row over the weekend.

They were running DAF 2800s ,EFR E14s & volvo FL10s when I strarted there.

They lasted a few more yrs after I left ,slowly getting smaller. They then sold up the yard at Kirkby & ended up with about 10 tankers in Fernwoods yard in Watnall.

They finally went under early 2000s ,but I have seen a Mansfield Roadways truck lurking around here about a yr back ?