Owen Pugh

Just trying to upload some photos of Owen pugh trucks that I’ve dug out.

This hiab truck is now owned by DAK hire and is still on the road…with a tag axle now.

And one of the current ones.

Here is one of the Low loaders bought new in 1999. This was just replaced in October 2011.

Im a bit heavier now.

I d love to see some more if anybody has any.

And here’s another one of the R reg ERF. Now replaced by a '57 MAN.

Good pics ■■■■■, my old man drove for Pugh in the late Sixties, an International Harvester tipper not a bad little motor, don’t suppose you have any older pics, keep them coming. Cheers Franky.

Cheers Franky,

I’ve got one or two more but not many. there’s a pic on here somewhere of one of the International loadstars, I think it’s the one that Peter Ellis drove 'cos it’s pulling a trailer. What is your dad called?
I did work there briefly in 1970 driving a Shawnee Poole when they were still using the Internationals.

Cheers Chris K.

A few more recent trucks

Heres a few for you,

f7sidd:
Heres a few for you,

Great photos F7, Those internationl tippers were a great little motor,performed very well on sites being normal control, Arthur White at Ponteland had some, also there was a firm at Chester Le-Street ran them, Keep them rolling, Regards Larry.

Thanks F7.
Truck 28 is now an 08 reg MAN NJ 08 ADU and truck 57 is now an 04 Volvo NK04 EPY. Quite interesting to see the Sed Ack behind in the photo. I got truck 39 new which was a 1985 Sed Ack reg No C595 LFT. The number 39 isn’t used now.
Anybody got any pic’s of the V8 Perkins Dodge’s that they ran in the '80’s. They were great site trucks but not very pleasant to drive as I recall.

Found some more. Another of the low loader and a couple of an older hiab.

KinkyHiab:

KinkyHiab been reading your posts and have worked out who you are,i first met you in the early 80s when you worked for watsons. You and my brother-in-law are good mates John Elliott, keep the photos coming as i was on the muck shifting for a number of years before going down the road.Regards Davey.

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

KinkyHiab been reading your posts and have worked out who you are,i first met you in the early 80s when you worked for watsons. You and my brother-in-law are good mates John Elliott, keep the photos coming as i was on the muck shifting for a number of years before going down the road.Regards Davey.

Hi Davy.
Are you the Davy who drove YTY 62V after I left? Funnily enough I was just talking to John the other day!
I wasn’t at Watsons very long, I left TR transport to work local and went to Watsons but I absolutely hated the coal job so I left after about five months and went back to TR. I’ve been at Pugh’s for 27 years now, 11 of those spent in the plant hire office. The stress got a bit much so I came out and am now driving a tipper and covering for the Hiab and the Low loader.
I’ve gone full circle.

Chris K.

KinkyHiab:

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

Hi Davy.
Are you the Davy who drove YTY 62V after I left? Funnily enough I was just talking to John the other day!
I wasn’t at Watsons very long, I left TR transport to work local and went to Watsons but I absolutely hated the coal job so I left after about five months and went back to TR. I’ve been at Pugh’s for 27 years now, 11 of those spent in the plant hire office. The stress got a bit much so I came out and am now driving a tipper and covering for the Hiab and the Low loader.
I’ve gone full circle.

Chris K.

No Chris i never worked for Watson got to no you through our John,was only a young lad then, would you be thinking of big davey P… thats still there now ?.Never seen John for some time now is he still on the containers ?

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

Hi Davy.
I’ve gone full circle.

Chris K.

No Chris i never worked for Watson got to no you through our John,was only a young lad then, would you be thinking of big davey P… thats still there now ?.Never seen John for some time now is he still on the containers ?

John’s driving an artic tipper for somebody called Dodds.

KinkyHiab:

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

daveymk:

KinkyHiab:

Hi Davy.
I’ve gone full circle.

Chris K.

John’s driving an artic tipper for somebody called Dodds.

Aye Chris that will be the same lad Richie Dodds he runs out of the port of Blyth.Could never understand why he left your place, i will keep an eye out for you on the road so if you see a cartransporter flash you its me . Regards Davey.

Chris i was on for Banks Bros in the late 80s washing the old new moor pit heap,one of pughs 8wheelers had the job of running the coal to Lynemouth i think you called the driver richie would you no where he is now?.

Aye, Richie Norris is still at Pugh’s. When I came off the low loader in 2000 a guy called Lennie Stevenson drove it for a while then Richie took it over about 2002 I think. He’s waiting for an operation on his foot and had to come off the loader only a few weeks ago. He is driving a loading shovel at the moment but he will be back on the loader at some point.
Very nice guy…gentle giant.

Here are a few more, nothing older I’m afraid

What is your dad called?
I did work there briefly in 1970 driving a Shawnee Poole when they were still using the Internationals.

Hy Chris, Dads name was Ernie Dobson, he only worked at Pugh for about 9-12 mths before going back to general haulage but I did go with him on many occasions and helped on Saturday mornings when the drivers done the maint on their wagons. I wish I could remember some of the other drivers names at the time, he also told me about the Shawnee Poole’s and said they were a good set of lads on them and made good money too. I recall the other motors Pugh ran then were 6 wheeler LAD cabbed tippers, not sure whether they were Leyland but probably Albion’s. I never done any tipper work myself later on but learned a bit during that time. Old Pugh was said to be a bit of a tyrant he would often keep an eye on the drivers with a pair of bino’s and once told Dad he had to take a Pee during his own time not working time! Some good photo’s been put on so far, brings back memories. Cheers Franky.

Aye Owen Pughs, I had an ex Pugh driver worked for us the late Cally Crozier, he started for us after being made reduntant a Pughs earley 80s ?. He was a good lad at the job we could send him anywere, all our customers liked him , He was on a job at Winthrops hauling notifiable waste to the tip at Blaydon for a long time, then hauling sand from the beach at Creswell, He had to retire earley because of health problems, a real true gent, Regards Larry.

No, I don’t remember the names Ernie Dobson or Cally Crozier I’m afraid. I was only there a few months when I was 17. I got the sack actually for running a Shawnee into the back of another one…it didn’t take much to get you the sack those days!!
And yes, old man Pugh was a bit of a tyrant. I replaced a lad on the M6 between Penrith and Carlisle who had been sacked because Owen Pugh had seen him from a distance larking about. Aye, those were the days…?
The only truck drivers I remember from then were Peter Ellis who was later tyre fitter and Billy Douglas and I think Bob Carrol was driving then too. Peter used to drive the one that pulled a trailer carrying the Drotts around and Billy Douglas was later low loader driver when they had the Guy big J. Those LAD cabs were indeed Albions, Bob carrol drove one of those. I think they ran those into the late 70,s when they got the V8 Perkins engined Dodges.
Thanks for the replies guys, it’s very interesting. Bet there’s some good photo’s out there though. I should see if I can borrow some off Keith Pugh.

Cheers Chris K