But seriously though

…Does anyone out there have anymore imgaes of the below firm. They had yards in Broxburn, Doncaster, Irlam, and Sheerness.
Mainly ERF’s (B&C) but some mercs, and a think a spattering of Volvo F7s somewhere too.

Would love to see more pics of this fab looking fleet. Cheers.

And a model offering…

Ta.

Great Pictures

Whats the history■■? When and how did they start…When did it all finish!!!
There is a picture in Bob Tucks book about Robsons of Carlisle
A Robson unit under a towmaster curtainsider.Whats the link there■■?

Thanks for the interest.

Towmaster Transport operated from the mid 70s to the mid 80s, mainly on bottle work carrying empties up to Broxburn in Scotland (via a swap at Washington service on the A1) and bringing full ones back down to Doncaster for further distribution south. The product was Bells Scotch Whisky…(thats what the tanker contains in one of the images) with whom they had a massive contract

Whilst delivering to the Beefeater Gin plant in London, they also brought empty bottles up from Canning Town Glass whilst down there.

Robson’s of Carlisle where also a regular stop for bottles, so there’s that link.

They ran on ERF B & C series (day and sleeper cabs), Mercs, and if am not wrong, a limited number of Volvo F7s.

It all came to an end in about 1985, just I was leaving school. Guinness bought them out, and took all their work. Towmaster was no more, and the smart looking fleet melted away into the tarmac…all but 1 that I am aware of. BWF 74T is a 4x2 ERF B day tractor, and survives to this day on the classic rally scene. Sadly, it is not in its orginal colours, and is currently based in Holland.

Thanks again for the interest.

ex towmaster erf seen at helaby truckstop a while ago.not far from home

Thanks for this…you are right. This wagon was based at the Denaby Depot in Doncaster, and was my dad’s old wagon. When was this picture taken? The last I knew, this wagon was based in Holland, owned by a dutch collector, and on dutch plates. it would be interesting to know if it was back in this country, and if so where…obviously not too far away from home as you say.

cheers.

Just new to this forum and very interesting it appears too. I drove for Robsons out of Alloa on the United Glass contract. Your weeks work was twice to St.Helens and twice to Castleford then either a carlisle or Birtley for your 5th shift.
I drove C334YLS or C333YLS or B292RLS all Wendy house Scanias.
Mostly loads were roped and sheeted, Geordie the foreman caught me twice by saying “Aye big man your trailer is under the canopy needs roped and sheeted”. 2 hours later, when i had finished came running round the corner saying he had made a mistake I had to take a curtain-sider the trailer I had just done was for another driver, 2nd night did the same but on the 3rd night I hooked up a curtain-sider when he came running round the corner the roped and sheeted load still needed doing, he was gutted, I said well Geordie you caught me out twice there wisnae going to be a 3rd time.
UCI logistics took over Robsons, sad day, they also had yards in Cook Street, and Baillieston in Glasgow plus of course Alloa.
Long time ago

Bells Scotch Whisky owned both Canning Town Glass and Towmaster Transport, Guinness owned 50% of United Glass who owned Robsons, when Guinness took over Bells Scotch Whisky it merged Towmaster with Robsons and Canning Town Glass with United Glass.

Thats interesting stuff that mate. Do you have any pics :question: