Drivers CPC question

I can’t seem to find how the 5 year thing works with regard to the DCPC . . .

for example, which of the following are correct;

a) You do your 5 x 7hr modules any time between sept 10th 2009 and sept 10th 2014, and then your next 5 x 7hr modules can be taken any time between sept 10th 2014 and sept 10th 2019

or

b) You do your 5 x 7hr modules any time between sept 10th 2009 and sept 10th 2014, and the 5 year period for your next 5 x 7hr modules starts from the date your last module was completed (which I assume is the date you get your DQC (driver qualification card)
(in which case it would benefit individuals get the first 4 out of the way asap, and to put off the final module of the 5 until as close as possible to sept 10th 2014)

Can anyone enlighten me please?

It’s the first of your options. You have to take 35 hours of periodic DCPC training before the expiry date of your DCPC. The new expiry date is five years from your current expiry date.

Your acquired rights run until 2014-09-09 and you must complete 35 hours before then. When you do so, you get a DQC that expires on 2019-09-09. There is no advantage in delaying completing those 35 hours completed.

Once you have your DQC, you cannot start on the next lot of 35 hours until you are into the new five year period. This means there is no point taking any more periodic training solely for DCPC purposes before 2014-09-10.

I’ve just done my mod 2 & 4 and its valid untill 2017. I was told by the examiner that if I do another 35 hours before then it will be valid unilll 2022.

That’s correct, you have to do 35 hours training during the five years of your current entitlement.

GasGas:
That’s correct, you have to do 35 hours training during the five years of your current entitlement.

to add to the above …If you wish to extend that entitlement for another 5 years

Drivers with acquired rights that need to do the periodic training need to complete 35 hours by September 2014. Their DQC will have an expiry of 09/09/2019 by which time they need to have done a further 35 hours.

Drivers that pass Mod 2 & 4 and get their DQC must complete 35 hours within 5 years of that date.

There are going to be a lot of people on completely different timetables.

shep532:
Drivers with acquired rights that need to do the periodic training need to complete 35 hours by September 2014. Their DQC will have an expiry of 09/09/2019 by which time they need to have done a further 35 hours.

Drivers that pass Mod 2 & 4 and get their DQC must complete 35 hours within 5 years of that date.

There are going to be a lot of people on completely different timetables.

Indeed - though after September 2014, every UKÂ licence holder with active DCPCÂ will have a Driver Qualification Card showing their personal expiry dates. These expiry dates are potentially different for category C and D families if both groups are held.

Once every driver with DCPC has a DQC, that will make things much simpler. The only rule that has to be remembered then is training counts only in the five years before the expiry date on your personal DQC. If you complete your 35 hours training early on in a five year cycle, you cannot start banking any more hours towards your next renewal until you enter the five year period.

Drivers with expired DCPC have to take 35 hours of periodic training to regain their DCPC - they cannot take the relevant Module 2 and 4 tests, even if they originally got their DCPC via acquired rights rather than taking the tests. This will particularly affect new C licence holders after September 2014 - those with a pre-1997 car test pass who had C1 on the LGV DCPC start date will need to take 35 hours of DCPC training to get their DQC, not LGVÂ modules 2 and 4.

The 35 hours of training counts towards both LGVÂ and PCVÂ DCPC for those who have current or expired DCPC on both groups. I know that the expiry dates for both groups are eventually aligned for those who hold one group and gain the other (e.g. someone with a pre-1997 car licence who takes and passes PCVÂ initial DCPC) at the point where they complete their next 35 hour block of periodic training, but cannot remember the rule that is applied other than remembering it is favourable to the driver.

Thank you for some excellent replies, much appreciated folks.

hgvhgv:
I’ve just done my mod 2 & 4 and its valid untill 2017. I was told by the examiner that if I do another 35 hours before then it will be valid unilll 2022.

So to this logic, can I bank them? So do 70hrs training this year and be one until 2019?

ibson:

hgvhgv:

So to this logic, can I bank them? So do 70hrs training this year and be one until 2019?

NO

hgvhgv got a DQC expiry dated 2017 by passing the initial lgv dcpc modules
That means for him to continue after 2017 he must get 35 hours of periodic dcpc completed before the 2017 expiry date
If he gets all 35 hours completed at any time before that 2017 expiry date then a new DQC will be issued expiry dated 2022
Any further dcpc training will not count until after the 2017 expiry date

Periodic dcpc training only counts if done within the 5 years leading up to the current expiry date on the DQC
That means for the many who have a ghost DQC expiry date of 09/09/2014, any more than 35 hours will not count for anything if done before that date