Driver CPC questions

Hi All

I’m planning to do a course that will give me an X amount of hours towards my driver CPC.
I will pay for it myself and if I want those hours for my driver CPC I need to pay more.
My Driver Qualification Card is valid until January 2018, so obviously I do not need to do any CPC hours till then.
My question is, will this course and the hours I gain (for which I need to pay extra), I’m planning to do now, count towards my driver CPC hours for the next 5 year period starting from January 2018 till January 2023 or there is no point paying for it now as the hours I gain towards my driver CPC will be valid for the next 5 years from when the course was done, which is till July 2019?
Or maybe they will only be valid till the end of my current period which till January 2018?

Thanks

You’ve confused me!!

If you do any training that is approved as DCPC between now and the expiry date on your card then it will count towards your next DCPC

If you don’t do any Training until AFTER the expiry date shown on your DQC - you’ll not be legal to drive until another DQC is issued

The expiry date on your card is the key

internetfan:
Hi All

I’m planning to do a course that will give me an X amount of hours towards my driver CPC.
I will pay for it myself and if I want those hours for my driver CPC I need to pay more.
My Driver Qualification Card is valid until January 2018, so obviously I do not need to do any CPC hours till then.
My question is, will this course and the hours I gain (for which I need to pay extra), I’m planning to do now, count towards my driver CPC hours for the next 5 year period starting from January 2018 till January 2023 or there is no point paying for it now as the hours I gain towards my driver CPC will be valid for the next 5 years from when the course was done, which is till July 2019?
Or maybe they will only be valid till the end of my current period which till January 2018?

Thanks

DQC expiry Jan 2018
that means you need 35 hours between Jan 2013 and Jan 2018 to enable you to continue driving commercially after Jan 2018

On completion of those 35 hours, at any time between Jan 2013 and Jan 2018, you will be issued with a new DQC expiry dated Jan 2023

On getting issued with that new DQC expiry dated Jan 2023 will mean that no more hours will count until after Jan 2018

Sorry, for confusing post, let me clarify my questions.

There are three possible outcomes to this situation and obviously only one is correct.
The course I’m planning to do in July this year will count towards:

1. My current valid Driver Qualification Card expiring in January 2018
  2. The DCPC hours gained after completing this course will be valid for 5 years which is till 2019, from the date of the course which is July 2014.
  3. The DCPC hours gained after completing this course will be valid towards my next 5 year period which is going to be from January 2018 till January 2023 , as that’s when my current DQC expires (January 2018) and new 5 year period starts (January 2018 - January 2023).

Lets just assume I’m going to be gaining 20 hrs towards my DCPC if I pay some more on top of the course fees.
I think answering this case correctly will help a lot of drivers understanding how the system works as I see a lot of confusing answers on this board regarding drivers CPC.

Thanks

internetfan:
Sorry, for confusing post, let me clarify my questions.

There are three possible outcomes to this situation and obviously only one is correct.
The course I’m planning to do in July this year will count towards:

1. My current valid Driver Qualification Card expiring in January 2018
  2. The DCPC hours gained after completing this course will be valid for 5 years which is till 2019, from the date of the course which is July 2014.
  3. The DCPC hours gained after completing this course will be valid towards my next 5 year period which is going to be from January 2018 till January 2023 , as that’s when my current DQC expires (January 2014) and new 5 year period starts (January 2018 - January 2023).

Lets just assume I’m going to be gaining 20 hrs towards my DCPC if I pay some more on top of the course fees.
I think answering this case correctly will help a lot of drivers understanding how the system works as I see a lot of confusing answers on this board regarding drivers CPC.

Thanks

Number 3 is correct
… confused about the Jan 2014 bit unless its a typo and you meant 2018

It will be 21 hours not 20 because they are all in 7 hour blocks

I am certainly not confused about the DCPC because I have dealt with it and all the changes from the start on this site
I have the DVSA DCPC hotline on speed dial !

Unless a newbie with no acquired rights needing the 2 initial DCPC modules, a driver needs 35 hours of periodic DCPC in order to gain a DQC which is then valid for 5 years

If already got a valid DQC then any hours done cannot count towards that current DQC as the driver already did 35 hours to get it

HI ROG

yes it is a typo, thanks for spotting it, will correct it straight away so it doesn’t confuse others.

Are you absolutely sure about the answer number 3 as being the correct answer in this case?
If it is correct, then it will make it worth paying more for DCPC, as it will count towards my next DCPC period starting from January 2018 and valid till January 2023, as I do not need to do any DCPC for this current period anymore.
And yes, it is 21 hours and not 20 hrs, but that was just an example.

Thanks

internetfan:
HI ROG
Are you absolutely sure about the answer number 3 as being the correct answer in this case?

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 % sure

Don’t forget that if you’re paying for it yourself, claim the cost of the training as an expense including any training materials you need to buy and the travelling from your home to the training centre and back at 45p per mile. You do that at the end of the tax year by submitting a P87 Expenses in Employment form if you’re not self employed. If you’re claiming any benefits like tax credits, your annual income for those will be what you earn minus what you claim on the P87.

Just goes to show how stupid the rules are and that it is all about money.

I was told not only can you start now and do one a year to get them done for your next DCPC but also that you can do the same module!

Internet fan. ROG is correct (always is with these things and if he doesn’t know, he’ll find out) definitely no3

alder:
Just goes to show how stupid the rules are and that it is all about money.

I was told not only can you start now and do one a year to get them done for your next DCPC but also that you can do the same module!

If you are a driver with acquired dcpc rights until 09/09/2014 and have done nothing towards your dcpc then you can do the same 7 hour course 5 times in one week to comply

You could that in the first week of this September then do the same again in the third week of this September and be covered until 09/09/2024

@ROG

Thanks for confirming it, as it was a bit confusing for me, and could have been for others.

@Conor

Thanks for tip, will try to remember it and claim it back. How long after the end of the financial year in question can you claim these types of expenses back when working as an employee?

@M1cks

I knew ROG was an expert in these matters , but this wasn’t so clear cut, so good to have it confirmed.

Thank you All

internetfan:
I knew ROG was an expert in these matters

Not an expert but well informed :smiley: