driver cpc???

I only drive HGV’s a few times a year at present due to me having another job (although i still want a driving job full time)and have been reading about the driver cpc…from what i gather you will be required to do xxxx amount of hours training per year and for that u get a card to say u hold a driver cpc.

However if u are stopped and dont have the card u will not be allowed to carry on with ure journey…now i don’t know where i could do ■■■ amount hours of training each year :confused: :confused: …so does this mean i either use it or lose it regarding my HGV license■■?

Any help would be appreciated cos if it means losing my HGV then i’m looking for a full time driving job asap.

Al

If you don’t obtain the Driver’s CPC you won’t lose your licence, you just won’t be able to use it for paid employment.

To add to what Coffeeholic has already told you, you shouldn’t be required to do X amount of training each year.

Anyone who holds an LGV license on 10 September 2009 will not need to do the “Initial Driver CPC”, you will however have to do 35 hours of “Periodic Training” every 5 years, this 35 hours of training can be broken down into smaller blocks of 7 hours (5 training sessions of 7 hours each), you will be required to complete the first 35 hours of training by September 2014.

Weather you do 7 hours training each year or leave it until say the last year then cram in the 35 hours should be up-to you as far as I can see.

Training company’s are still putting together programs for the “Periodic Training”, so you don’t really need to worry about it for some time yet, hopefully by September 2009 it will be more obvious how the training company’s intend to run the training sessions and how much they intend to charge, one thing you can probably be sure of though is that a training company by you will be taking advantage of this new source of income :wink:

I think that the answer to this might be for existing drivers to do their training as soon as possible, as the rates will be far cheaper than if you wait until 2014, when everyone will be trying to do it.

Also, I might be wrong, but I am led to believe that if you pass in 2009 your CPC licence is valid until 2014 and you then get ANOTHER five years to complete your next period of continuous training. In effect, you won’t have to do anything until 2019. Ideal if you’re of an age where you will be driving 2014 but will be retired by 2019 and you’ll save as few quid as well.

I have to say though, the Driver CPC must be one of the most misguided ideas I’ve ever heard. Promoting driving as a career and good professional standards is a good thing but asking people to stump up 2,000-3,000 just to drive an artic for 25k p.a. seems like madness to me. :unamused:

It’s a friken JOKE!
JOBS FOR THE BOYS
Keeps all those friken officials the government is borrowing 10,000,000,000 a year to keep off the unemployment register in work though.
:wink:

If more training is not required then why is there all these questions appearing on this forum?

Better trained drivers will make a more efficient anf professional industry

And dont forget your NVQ.

Coffeeholic:
If you don’t obtain the Driver’s CPC you won’t lose your licence, you just won’t be able to use it for paid employment.

And ironically if you got an Operators CPC courtesy of grandfather rights, or even if you passed it years ago before any rule changes their is no such onus on the Operator CPC’s. They can and do just bat on without having a clue as to the regs!! Joined up thinking hey !! Put the onus on the drivers !!

Mike-C:

Coffeeholic:

And ironically if you got an Operators CPC courtesy of grandfather rights, or even if you passed it years ago before any rule changes their is no such onus on the Operator CPC’s. They can and do just bat on without having a clue as to the regs!!

That one has always baffled me. I don’t have a CPC so when I was running my own truck I had a nominated CPC holder, who had obtained his CPC by Grandfather rights. The trouble was I had forgotten more about the regs than he knew but he still had to check my charts. He would then come to me with a list of infringements, at which point I would have to explain to him why they weren’t infringements. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Crazy system but he had the bit of paper and I didn’t, so with him as nominated CPC holder it was legal as far as the authorities were concerned. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: