Driver cpc

Hi folks, could ask some advice about the driver CPC. I have had my car licence since 1994 and have been a coach continental driver (cat D) since 1999 and I am aware I have some “acquired rights” until such a time I have to complete 35 hours driver CPC training.

However, I am about to start an HGV training course and would like to know if any acquired rights count when attending HGV training?

I would also like to know, if I complete the “initial CPC training” on this HGV course, will this cover me for PCV driver CPC or do I have to complete two CPC courses as I want to keep my PCV current?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi there
Yes u have aquired rights as u passed Ur test pre 1997 as for wether cpc covers both hgv and Pcv I’m not sure but some trainers are able to count some of Ur training towards Ur 35 hrs cpc which u will need to have completed by 2014 but I think its a year earlier for pcv , u will need to speak to the company u are training with as to wether they have their hgv training accreditted to dcpc not all do , hope that helps a little
Jenx c

Thanks Jennie, yeah its 2013 for PCV. I’ve been looking at the cpc syllabuses and a lot of the modules are common to both hgv and pcv so I think an extra couple of modules added on would keep me current for both, thats how I see it anyway, I might be wrong. Can’t see the sense in doing two CPC courses and repeating modules!

Hi K21

This is the position you are in.

PCV
Your acquired rights expires on 9th Sept 2013. By that time you must have completed 35 hours periodic training.

LGV
You do NOT have to do the “Initial LGV CPC” exams as you passed the car test before 1997 and therefore held a C1 (7.5t) licence when LGV CPC started. You do however need to complete 35 hours of periodic training by 9th Sept 2014 to even maintain your 7.5t driving rights as LGV CPC started 12 months after PCV CPC.

If you hold both licences, as in your case, PCV+C1 (and later LGV hopefully you only need to complete 35 hours periodic training to maintain everything. The training can be any approved courses either PCV or LGV. They count towards both.

Hope this is fairly clear

Regards
John
Flair Training

No initial LGV DCPC for you as you already have LGV C1 on your licence - the system will not allow you to do initial dcpc

Completing all 35 hours of periodic dcpc before 09/09/2013 will get you a DQC (driver cpc card) expiry dated 09/09/2019 for both LGV & PCV

You will then need to complete the next set of 35 hours between 10/09/2014 and 09/09/2019 to be allowed to drive LGVs & PCVs commercially after 09/09/2019
and then …
You will then need to complete the next set of 35 hours between 10/09/2019 and 09/09/2024 to be allowed to drive LGVs & PCVs commercially after 09/09/2024
and then …
You will then need to complete…

My advice use a JAUPT approved trainer do an LGV driving course c or c+e with an extra days training (5)this makes 35hrs. Then pay an “admin/registration” fee usually £100 and you end up with CPD certificate and a full DQC card that runs to 2019.

This gets CPD out of the way, probably cost me an extra £200 total and taking an extra day especially C+E that will help with passing you test (more practice) is a no brainer. There is no way it would have cost me £200.00 or less to get a full 35 hrs of CPD training before the sep 2014 deadline.

Dear Redrorry,

you said CPD instead of CPC.

Does this indicate that you are an ADI ? :smiley:

cheers,

Landylad

LandyLad:
Dear Redrorry,

you said CPD instead of CPC.

Does this indicate that you are an ADI ? :smiley:

cheers,

Landylad

Yes :blush: and also a rookie LGV driver :laughing: . Had the worst day ever yesterday and the driving side had very little to do with the “problems”. :cry:

Redrorry,

me too! Bad day yesterday. Agency phone call at 06:15, “job at Bolton, start asap”.
Got there at 06:45, whilst doing vehicle checks agency rings and says “we’ve double booked you. You should be on another job. please go there now”. Couldn’t as my card was already in tacho"
The driver’s mate was a rookie, had no idea about geography of UK, couldnt read a map, didnt know that on a map a motorway is a blue line and services are denoted by letter ‘S’. - “Where is Bradford anyway?” - We are past it, its on the previous map page !!!
Drove to Hull, did only 22 drops, my Satnav. was rubbish. Lots of dead end blocked off council estate streets, vans/cars parked on impossible bends, double parked cars and kids swarming round the truck!!. Had to have two 45 breaks, second one was 1 minute from infringement!!
Got back to depot with all drops done at 21:55 and 3 minutes daily driving time (10 hrs.) left on tacho!!!
Long day. But pretty normal multidrop stuff.
Are the streets of London really paved with gold? Is the grass really greener on the other side?
What am I doing?
Teaching kids to drive is much easier but more frustrating. Think I’ll get an office job (NOT)

Cheers,
LandyLad

Wouldn’t bother with the office work Landy, I’ve done that as well, full of @nal prats and phyco’s looking for promotion. Are you also ADI qualifed :question:

I was dropping Glasgow, Buchanan galleries not been to that mall before. Ended up in the wrong goods in bays the [zb] got lots of them “underground” coming in from various different city centre one way streets and ped precincts i.e A MAZE.

P.S I had already seen this coming and printed a google map of the place got one of the drivers to X marks the drop spot. Won’t do that again

Company “screaming” about timed deliveries. :imp:

Finally found the drop, 6 very large pallets one at a time (three mile hike along a maze of corridors) not easy to find got lost a few times.

Then the goods lift wouldn’t let me out, outer door jammed, went to another floor to get out. told the “client” about the lift situation. They told me to use “normal lift”, my “euro” pallet truck was too long to fit the lift, then had to borrow theirs.

Finally returned to vehicle to find the tail lift wouldn’t switch to the outside control. Phoned company “have you tried turning the switch”, reply - “yes doh”. “Ok we’ll send someone out”.

Guy arrives we "tranship"one of the drops, don’t you just love that word. Back to base “tranship” the rest of load to truck without tail lift, “it’s ok the drop has a platform bay but you should be able to level using the suspension”.

No the swine was 8 inches higher fully lowered. Tells the girl at the drop, she suggest using another pallet to “level” off. Good idea clever girl, I had to use 2 pallets so I could get the pallet truck from underneath.

Now the loads sitting on 2 pallets, wont go down the corridor too tall, so have to take some off. Eventually clears the drop.

Moral of story THE DRIVINGS THE EASY BIT, that includes city centre driving. :laughing:
P.S you did ask :wink: oh you didn’t :laughing: It’s just nice to get it off your chest, eh Landy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now then Redders!

yes I am ADI and Fleet trainer. am doing quite a bit of company van driver assessments and improvement work, but ther’s not a lot of money around and its hard to survive on self-employed basis at the moment, hence the Agency Class 2 work.

Sounds like your day was totally horrible. Last time I went to Glasgow delivering was way back in 2004 and the city centre was really difficult back then with Bus lanes, one way systems and pedestrian only zones. I guess the city ‘Improvers’ have made it even worse now.

Yep, the Driving is the easy bit. getting the load off and to the customer is the pain, especially when you are always looking over your shoulder for the light fingered brigade who seem to hover around the cab or the back of the truck like vultures.

How’s the L driver market around your way? Its saturated and thin around here.

Landy.

Thanks everyone for your replies you’ve been really helpfull, i passed my hazard perception and my theory yesterday and start practical training on the 21st and might do the ADR if I can afford it.

Can’t wait to get out of the coaching job as I’m sick of babysitting tourists but still love being on the road! Glad I found this forum, you’ll see me here alot probably!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

LandyLad:
Now then Redders!

yes I am ADI and Fleet trainer. am doing quite a bit of company van driver assessments and improvement work, but ther’s not a lot of money around and its hard to survive on self-employed basis at the moment, hence the Agency Class 2 work.

Sounds like your day was totally horrible. Last time I went to Glasgow delivering was way back in 2004 and the city centre was really difficult back then with Bus lanes, one way systems and pedestrian only zones. I guess the city ‘Improvers’ have made it even worse now.

Yep, the Driving is the easy bit. getting the load off and to the customer is the pain, especially when you are always looking over your shoulder for the light fingered brigade who seem to hover around the cab or the back of the truck like vultures.

How’s the L driver market around your way? Its saturated and thin around here.

Landy.

Knocked the L training on the head after 10 years, still badged and registered. Yes the ADI work is very thin on the ground, looked into fleet training but it seems a bit of closed shop round this way.

My neighbour an LGV class 1, who egged me on does an easy trunk for Wickes earns £12.00 PH, sounded great. Once I have earned my commercial wings I hope to do that kind of work.

The upside of handball multidrop is all the graft is keeping a 44 year old younger, I was never overweight or anything but the wife likes the newer fitter “profile”. :laughing:

P.S sorry to k21 pilot for hijacking the thread, P.P.S if your a real commercial pilot the countries in bigger trouble than I thought.

Yes,
Hi to K21 and good luck with trukin’.

I hope you really enjoy it and I’m sure you’ll be really good at it given your professional driving background.

Cheers,

Landylad

Thanks landlad and no probs redrorry, lol I’m not a commercial pilot but i am a glider pilot gota have some fun!

k21pilot:
Thanks everyone for your replies you’ve been really helpfull, i passed my hazard perception and my theory yesterday and start practical training on the 21st and might do the ADR if I can afford it.

Can’t wait to get out of the coaching job as I’m sick of babysitting tourists but still love being on the road! Glad I found this forum, you’ll see me here alot probably!

Congrats on passing theory an hazard. Good luck on ya practical look forward to reading ya diary :wink:

k21pilot:
… and might do the ADR if I can afford it.

Hi mate,

If you give me a clue as to your location and the distance you’re prepared to travel each day to an ADR course, I’ll be able to give you some contact details for ADR providers in your area.
To obtain the most popular ADR licence, you’re probably looking at four round trips to the provider.

Comparing prices and what’s on offer from various providers might give you something to do to save you watching the calendar whilst you wait for the training to begin. :wink:

BTW, there’s no rules about when you take an ADR course, cos the course is open to anybody with a Swansea issued driver number. An ADR licence automatically follows your driving licence entitlement for the size of vehicle you drive, so there’s no further action needed if/when you do a driving licence upgrade.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Hi Dave,

thanks for your info, my nearest provider is Glasgow, the company I’m doing my class 2 and and class 1 (Ritchies) do ADR aswell £550 I think.

k21pilot:
Hi Dave,

thanks for your info, my nearest provider is Glasgow, the company I’m doing my class 2 and and class 1 (Ritchies) do ADR aswell £550 I think.

Tell Davie, Pat, Paul and Trevor that Brian the driving instructor says hello. :laughing: yes they do remember me only because 44 year old ADI’s don’t train HGV every week.

An regards CPC Ritchies can sort you out for 5 days + £100 for a full CPC card. The card will be sent back just as quick as your licence. On another note if you have followed Landylad an my own posting, we are trained ADI’s now earning circa @ £7.00 ph agency. You PCV licence or many years class B or even being a qualified driving instructor will count for nothing.

The job is more involved than just driving, the delivery bit seems to be what us rookies forget and wasn’t even on my radar when I set out to get my class 1 and 2 which I passed relatively easily. No one pays to move empty wagons. The DSA are only interested in their “system” that was why it was probably less stressful for me being an ADI and knowing their system inside out.

I did a trunk the other day to charnock services with a “drop box” I jammed my thumb in one of the box legs, I could have taken it off, very badly bruised. “Experience” always use the gloves they won’t teach you about these things in a LGV driving school. :laughing:

Anyhoo good luck with the training, pain and low wage awaits. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll pass on your regards Rorry, and thanks for your advice. Before I started driving coaches I did multi drop for caladonian oil on a 7.5 tonne, delivering mostly lubrication oil, did it for 3 years before they dropped me because I didn’t have ADR and should have (transport managers fault)

I suppose it’s experience I can call on but know it’ll be very different now!

Any advise is much appreciated, keep it coming!