CPC - is it any use?

Due to the new (yet another) European directive that is to come into force in 2007 that HGV drivers’ require additional training ( :confused: ) to make them more professional :open_mouth: , I was thinking about getting my CPC. However, as I am an employed driver is it worth having, and would it negate my taking any further training regards this European directive?

I’ve had mine for 12 years,and find it no use whatsoever.

Ken.
( <<<<<< 4 posts to the magical 1000)

i suppose that if you were holder of a full cpc you wouldn’t be required to this five yearly training as in effect your qualified to teach that training?

From what I’ve read on the subject, holding a CPC does not affect the requirement to complete 35 hours training every five years.

I’ve had both mine for nearly 30 years and haven’t really used them. However, evidence of CPD (Continuous Professional Development) always looks good on any C.V. and could make the difference between getting a job and not.

Krankee:
From what I’ve read on the subject, holding a CPC does not affect to requirement to complete 35 hours training every five years.

That’s my understanding also, the CPC and Compulsory driver training are completely different fields. There is no requirement for a CPC holder to even hold an LGV licence let alone train people.

Whats a cpc?.

What exactly is going to be ‘taught’ during this 35hrs course? If its that long it’ll take at least a week to complete, I can only imagine how much that will cost in rip off Britain.

The CPC is not needed and has nothing to do with the new training requirement.

If you want an operators licence or to act as transport manager you need a CPC unless you rent one from these nobody cares outfits

robinhood_1984:
What exactly is going to be ‘taught’ during this 35hrs course? If its that long it’ll take at least a week to complete, I can only imagine how much that will cost in rip off Britain.

I think a lot will change before it comes out, Especially once the large hauliers have lobbyed those in power, when they realise that it’s going to cost them £x000000 per year when x drivers per week are off because they are attending training. Just the fact that drivers are away from work cost money and that’s before any questions of who pays for the course is sorted.
Remember the original idea of the 48 hours week, an average of 48 hours on duty. That was until the RDC operators had their way and we get POA’s not counting towards working time.

The term “CPC” simply means Certificate of Professional Competance, and is meaningless without a subject attached…eg. I have a Freight National CPC, which allows me to work as a Transport Manager for UK-only freight operations.

The drivers’ CPC will be a Certificate of Professional Competance in HGV driving, and a seperate qualification completely.

but isn’t it supposed to be training followed by a “written” test?

My CPC isn’t worth the paper it’s written on! I have both national and international! But unless you’re planning on being an owner driver then save your money! The new drivers CPC’s will not be anything like the Management CPC’s

from what i have read, the drivers version is a watered down version of the normal CPC. it is about defensive driving, customer care, economic driving etc etc etc etc. its to teach us to keep the company happy by saving fuel and not swearing at customers :laughing:
its yet another idea which messes us around and keeps the government looking good in a political way to other world leaders :unamused: