Driver CPC

Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted on here, but I do read a lot of the posts, just lurking really, lol ! :smiley:

Anyway, in the end, I ended up becoming a bus driver and although the job itself is not too bad, and the pay is not bad either, but I still think Iā€™d prefer this side of driving more!

So, I plan on getting my C licence in the next 12 months when I have the cash spare (did have, but moved into a new house which took the most of it) and plus, when I can fit it in with my holidays. Anyway, enough of my rambling, Iā€™m kinda after some advice - this new CPC that is coming in for drivers, if I hold both a PCV and an LGV licence, am I going to have to do 70 hours training for them every 5 years !? Plus, as I already hold a PCV, do I still need to do the ā€˜extraā€™ parts to the cat C test when I eventually sit it ? :confused:

Thanks

You might have to do the extra ā€œinitialā€ bits. Thereā€™s another thread on it somewhere.

You wonā€™t have to do 70 hours to cover LGV & PCV, just one lot of 35 hours.

ā€œ2.4 I Drivers who hold both a PCV and LGV licence
Drivers with both a PCV and LGV licence will have to complete only one course of 35
hours of Periodic Training every five years; they will not have to undertake 35 hours of
training for each licence category.ā€

jamis:
So, I plan on getting my C licence in the next 12 months when I have the cash spare ā€¦
ā€¦Iā€™m kinda after some advice - this new CPC that is coming in for drivers, ā€¦Plus, as I already hold a PCV, do I still need to do the ā€˜extraā€™ parts to the cat C test when I eventually sit it ? :confused:

If you pass the DSA LGV C test before 10 Sept 2009, you will not have to do the INITIAL DRIVER CPC.
If you passed your B (car) test before 1997 and have C1 on your licence, you will not have to do the INITIAL DRIVER CPC even if you take the DSA LGV C test AFTER 10 Sept 2009.

One point that I am not sure of is thisā€¦
If you are a D licence holder, but not got C1, at 10 Sept 2009 and take a C test after that - does the D ā€˜grandfatherā€™ driver cpc cover the driver cpc for Cā€¦ :question: :question: :question: :unamused: - fun this, ainā€™t itā€¦

If you ticked the C provisional box when you applied for your D, then both the medicals are linked together and you will not have to take a seperate medical for C. - if you do not have C provisional already on your licence then you will need to have one but then all your medicals will run at the same time.

ROG:
If you are a D licence holder, but not got C1, at 10 Sept 2009 and take a C test after that - does the D ā€˜grandfatherā€™ driver cpc cover the driver cpc for Cā€¦

No, Aquired Rights is granted separately for both Full LGV and PCV Entitlements.

Should the following case above apply then the Initial Qualification would be required to obtain Driver CPC for any LGV entitlements.

Richard
:slight_smile:

The Lyonator:

ROG:
If you are a D licence holder, but not got C1, at 10 Sept 2009 and take a C test after that - does the D ā€˜grandfatherā€™ driver cpc cover the driver cpc for Cā€¦

No, Aquired Rights is granted separately for both Full LGV and PCV Entitlements.

Should the following case above apply then the Initial Qualification would be required to obtain Driver CPC for any LGV entitlements.

Richard
:slight_smile:

Thanks :smiley: - have you got a link to that info please :question:

http://www.skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/faqs/

<<
If a driver already holds an initial CPC for one LGV category (eg rigid lorry Category C), will that person need another CPC to drive another LGV Category (eg articulated lorry Category C+E)?
No. (This will not affect the requirement to pass the relevant driving licence acquisition test for the additional category.)

If a driver already holds an initial CPC for one PCV category (eg minibus sub-Category D1), will that person need another CPC to drive another PCV Category (eg full-sized coach Category D)?
No. (This will not affect the requirement to pass the relevant driving licence acquisition test for the additional category.)

If a driver holds an initial Driver CPC for LGV, will he / she need to obtain an initial Driver CPC to drive a PCV?
Yes. The initial Driver CPC is specific to LGV or PCV

The Lyonator:
http://www.skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/faqs/

<<
If a driver already holds an initial CPC for one LGV category (eg rigid lorry Category C), will that person need another CPC to drive another LGV Category (eg articulated lorry Category C+E)?

If a driver already holds an initial CPC for one PCV category (eg minibus sub-Category D1), will that person need another CPC to drive another PCV Category (eg full-sized coach Category D)?

If a driver holds an initial Driver CPC for LGV, will he / she need to obtain an initial Driver CPC to drive a PCV?
Yes. The initial Driver CPC is specific to LGV or PCV

Thanks mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks guys, thatā€™s cleared a few things up for me. One more question though - was talking to some guys at work today about the cat C licence and was told that if I passed this, this would then change my PCV licence to a manual too rather than just an automatic, anyone know if this is true ?

ROG - yeah, when I applied for the provisional I ticked both the C and D boxes (had read that on here somewhere to do that I think!) so I donā€™t need to have another medical.

Yes, due to staging and upgrading. A manual C pass will upgrade a 78 restricted D licence (and vice versa)

jamis:
Thanks guys, thatā€™s cleared a few things up for me. One more question though - was talking to some guys at work today about the cat C licence and was told that if I passed this, this would then change my PCV licence to a manual too rather than just an automatic, anyone know if this is true ?

macplaxton is correct :smiley: - passing C manual will upgrade D auto to D manual.

jamis:
ROG - yeah, when I applied for the provisional I ticked both the C and D boxes (had read that on here somewhere to do that I think!) so I donā€™t need to have another medical.

You are correct - no need for a seperate medical to do D if your C medical is up to date as you have the D provisional on your licence.

Every time you have a medical for your C (provisional of full), you are also having a medical for D provisional.

Cheers guys - will post an update when I get around to doing the training.

Starting to have had enough of cargo that moans and stinks of pee! :wink: