Driver cpc

Hi folks was just reading about the driver cpc for those guy’s just starting out next year its gonna be very expensive consider for example a private guy goes to get his class2 first he has to pass the theory test £35 or whatever it is now .Then book his lessons £125 per day roughly then his test £90 if he/she passes first time a bonus then you need a digi card £38 then you gonna have to pay for a drivers cpc ££££ yet to be revealed! . not a cheap experience by halve. To boot the transport industry say there’s a massive shortgage of drivers are you surprised, the peolpe who actually may want to drive an LGV cant afford too. Sorry about the rant folks. :imp:

Driver shortage does not exist. Its made up of hundreds of agencies.

There are a lot of people making money from others in this game.

But this has always been the same. If it was easy to get a licence then we would all be chatting on the OfficeNet forum.

Admittadly, it is getting a little silly with the legislation thats coming in and in my oppinion the hours still need reducing. (just my oppinion folks)

my biggest gripe is the fact that we are getting stung for nothing. wax charts work fine so why fork out for something that does broadly the same job but not as well?
the drivers CPC will cost however much and will make no difference to us once its paid for. its throwing money away

scanny77:
the drivers CPC will cost however much and will make no difference to us once its paid for. its throwing money away

WELL SAID - new drivers will still learn more from their peers than they ever will from an NVQ type course

But hows the suppose 35 hour training to work?

Im sure companys will be delighted to loose staff to have to do said training. And whos trucks to be used. Surely it would pay dividens for an asseser/trainer to come to a firm and go out on a days work with the relevent driver who needs the cpc jobby. Thus comapny doesnt loose the driver everyones happy. Maybe!

Imp:
Surely it would pay dividens for an asseser/trainer to come to a firm and go out on a days work with the relevent driver who needs the cpc jobby. Thus comapny doesnt loose the driver everyones happy. Maybe!

Which may have worked IF they had included the main part of a drivers day - DRIVING - but they have not.

ROG:

Imp:
Surely it would pay dividens for an asseser/trainer to come to a firm and go out on a days work with the relevent driver who needs the cpc jobby. Thus comapny doesnt loose the driver everyones happy. Maybe!

Which may have worked IF they had included the main part of a drivers day - DRIVING - but they have not.

This seems to hit the nail firmly on the head! Like saying, I can fill in a few forms, I’m an ace driver!!!..

If we all stopped to think for a moment, what could the average driver do with 7 hours a year getting trained in something that would really add value to the job such as manual handling, FLT, HIAB, ADR, etc? These have been criticised here also, but they would surely be better for experienced drivers than some bit of paper saying that “I can write about driving”?

This must be a real insult to drivers who have done the job all their lives and have probably forgotten more about the game than those setting the tests.

New drivers have to take their “real”(“driving” as in acutal driving) tests in real world vehicles. In the case of C tests, this means 8 forward gears, 8 metres long, 2.4 metres wide and a closed box. In both C and C+E a lot of tests are taken in lorries that are longer than this - meaning that drivers are at least equipped to come to the workplace in a position to start gaining their first real experience without asking too many stupid questions. passes. Why isn’t this seen as the most important thing here?

I’ve already said that new drivers shouldn’t be asking too may stupid questions - but I can’t resist this one - if the DSA are the administrators of the CPC, why are they not offering some kind of driving assessment■■? :open_mouth: :confused:

I’ve already said that new drivers shouldn’t be asking too may stupid questions - but I can’t resist this one - if the DSA are the administrators of the CPC, why are they not offering some kind of driving assessment■■?

OOOH…I’m off on one here :exclamation:
Because they are incapable of assessing SAFE DRIVING - they only assess procedures. Can you imagine what would happen if all those safe experienced truckers on here were to assessed/tested by the DSA :question: - they would all fail - the DSA do not recognise general safe driving practices.
When I assess a driver, I look for their ability to handle the vehicle in a general safe manner and not to do regimented routines like blind spots when starting off - i’ll explain - the driver should be vigilant at all times, even when stopped and an experienced driver would KNOW if some-one had got that close without having to do a look down the side of their door - see the difference :question:

Hazard Perception test…another fine example of bureaucracy

i absolutely agree Rog. i am dead against re-tests every so often but i wouldnt bother about assessments for the very reasons you have just stated. you learn to drive after you pass your test so it would make no sense to have to resort back to basic standards every time you are due a re-test. there is no logic in it :confused:

scanny77:
i absolutely agree Rog. i am dead against re-tests every so often but i wouldnt bother about assessments for the very reasons you have just stated. you learn to drive after you pass your test so it would make no sense to have to resort back to basic standards every time you are due a re-test. there is no logic in it :confused:

IF - BIG IF - they brought in driving as part of the driver cpc, do you think that if they (will not go into WHO. as we discussed that before on another post) judged on a “general safe drive”, that would be sufficient and acceptable for a professional driver?

well looks like i started something here. I’m a newbe only had my class2 since june and passed my class1 in october.but i agree with you guy’s no nvq is gonna surpass actual experience what they teach in a classroom or sometimes during lessons is’nt really what happens in the real world. i’m lucky tho i’ve got friends who drive LGV and if i get stuck with stuff there just a phone call away. my mate is going to take me with him for a week tramping show me the ropes so that when i do manage to find gainful empoyment i atleast have a clue as to what i’m doing.i still totally disagree with the drivers cpc its what happens in the real world that counts not infront of a computer screen nothing can prepare you for it :exclamation:

i wasnt talking about the drivers CPC Rog. i meant as a general thing for all drivers. 10 year driving licence kind of thing right across the board. i reckon its coming

scanny77:
i wasnt talking about the drivers CPC Rog. i meant as a general thing for all drivers. 10 year driving licence kind of thing right across the board. i reckon its coming

Not til the EU say so :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: