driver cpc?

hi all, i read t&d this month with great interest espescially the willing to learn part and the description of what this qualification is for i.e to bring a professional manner to the industry. this got me thinking if they want a professional industry when are they going to start payin us a professional rate of pay■■?

just wondering what the thoughts off other drivers are?

Another means of getting out money. :imp: :imp:

A useless idea, designed by people who communicate not in English but in ‘Management Speak’ and who have never done a days work in an HGV in their life. :unamused: :unamused:

without the on-road driving assessment, which they have decided not to instigate, this is a waste of time in my opinion
An NVQ for a driver which does not include driving!!!

another bit of legislation dictated by brussells by any chance? wonder if the driver shortage will get any shorter?

its just the uk version of fcos fimo which the kermits already do

When it comes in (the driver CPC) you should be able to operate your own waggon as the muppets who do hold a cpc (well most of them) don’t know their arse from their elbow. There should be a compulsory updating/testing of existing CPC holders. I know people who got them in the 60’s and 70’s and havn’t got a clue about running trucks yet they could still legally operate them. Its a big farce !!!

steve07:
another bit of legislation dictated by brussells by any chance? wonder if the driver shortage will get any shorter?

A massive chunk of the UK HGV driving population will be at retirement age by the time it’s compulsory to have one.

steve07:

When you look what new drivers will have to do just to get a licence and the vast expense involved, the supply will all but dry up as people like me and many on here who funded our selves with a couple of grand hard earned cash will no longer be able to afford to do so.

hammer:
Another means of getting out money. :imp: :imp:

A useless idea, designed by people who communicate not in English but in ‘Management Speak’ and who have never done a days work in an HGV in their life. :unamused: :unamused:

How true! There is far too much emphasis on useless paper qualifications now which really have absolutely no value. Just as with all the endless regulation we must endure, we still do the same job at the end of it, the same as before, just with the added burdon of paperwork and agro that I for one do not need or want. This is just another example of expanding the training provider sector by making useless micky mouse certificates compulsory.

Lucy and i had a very juicy (but constructive) debate on this a while back. i still think its no more than a paperwork exercise which will serve no purpose in reality. who will care about this qualification other than the authorities who will only check that we are legal?

Conor:

steve07:

A massive chunk of the UK HGV driving population will be at retirement age by the time it’s compulsory to have one.

It would be nice to think that if there is then a genuine shortage of qualified vocational drivers, terms & conditions (err, & pay) would be improved :bulb:

However, I fear it will just cause an increase of drivers who are (mostly from abroad) prepared to work for the same crap wages.

eldor:

steve07:

When you look what new drivers will have to do just to get a licence and the vast expense involved, the supply will all but dry up as people like me and many on here who funded our selves with a couple of grand hard earned cash will no longer be able to afford to do so.

If you passed your car test after 1997, would you have to take your 7.5, class 2 and then your class 1 ?

No, you can go straight to rigids.

If you passed your car test after 1997, would you have to take your 7.5, class 2 and then your class 1 ?

You can go diectly from a B (car) to a C (old class 2) and miss out C1 (7.5 tonner) - point of interest - both the C1 and C are the same course and usually the same price.
You will not get any +E entitlements until you pass a +E test - C+E (old class 1) taken with an artic or wagon & drag will give you B+E C1+E & C+E.

steve07:

Yes to both.

Will it drive up standards and pay? I hope so, but I’m probably wrong. It could be an opportunity for the industry to make sure it’s drivers are well trained, competent and efficient in what they need to do. Probably the big firms will make the most of it and the rest will try to ignore it until it’s too late. Remember what happened with the ADR training in the late 80’s early 90’s - all sorts of training companies will set up to cope with the panic demand and the quality of training will be dire :unamused:

I live and drive in Southampton as a Bus Driver and when you pull into Vincents Walk (outside the Primark shopping store) there’s a reversing bay where LGVs have to Reverse up…and boy is it tight! I think it’s to deliver to Woolworths and/or the surrounding stores in Above Bar Street. God, if I had to try that I think I’d run away and hide in a really dark corner!

Bus Drivers always get really irate whenever this happens - I always sit back very patiently and allow them to do their thing, I’ll only run a few minutes late, which I’ll easily make up.

Yes, the LGV industry is holding to all of its very seasoned drivers, which are unfortunately coming up to retirement age and won’t wanna keep on doing the job forever - they’re gonna have to take new drivers on (like me for instance!) at some point otherwise the system will simply fall apart.

But like what someone posted on here, it’ll probably just prompt overseas personeel to come over here and accept the current Pay & Conditions!

Hopefully 1 day I’ll be able to give trucking a go, until that day arrives though I’ll stick to my PCV licence and sit back wondering how they always manage to do it!

Richard
:slight_smile:

The Lyonator:
Bus Drivers always get really irate whenever this happens -

amateurs. we ALWAYS sit patiently in the queue that you lot cause stopping every 3 yards at the next bus stop :wink: :laughing:

that area around above bar street is a pain in a car, never mind a truck. im glad i was based at southampton docks rather than delivering to southampton (i used to work for rank hovis)

found this - may not be the first :open_mouth: - if not, sorry :blush:
skillsforlogistics.org/en/ja … t/faqs/#gi