Drink driving conviction

Hi all. Ive just discovered these boards as Ive been scouring the net trying to find out as much information about lorry driving as I can. Thing is Ive been considering doing my LGV for a while now and only a few weeks ago thought why not, Im gonna go for it. :smiley:

So i done my research and I now know how to get my provisional, where Im going to do my training at, how much its going to cost and that I definitely want to do it.

The only thing holding me back is I received a drink driving conviction in 2001. Now although I was banned for 13 month I never received any points but it still shows up on my licence that I got this conviction. What I want to ask is, is this conviction going to seriously hamper my chances of obtaining a decent LGV job?? The guy who I spoke to on the phone who is going to provide my training says it shouldnt be a problem, but I dont really want to shell out all that money if Im going to get turned down because of a stupid conviction 3 years ago.

So any advice greatly received.

Cheers

hi tongpo welcome to trucknet.as this was sometime ago (3years) and there has been no repeat of it you should be ok.i take it that you have learned from you mistake?.go for it mate you seem determined to get your hgv licence,so don’t let it stop you,you know you done wrong and i’m sure you will get the start that you deserve.you are always going to find one company that will say no to you due to the drink driving conviction,but don’t let it put you off.just be prepaired for the odd knock backs, this will be down to lack of experiance,so don’t think it has anything to with the drink driving offence,most companies will tell you if it was the dd offence that prevented you getting the job.good luck and keep us informed on how you get on. :wink:

Hi Tongpo WELCOME TO TRUCKNET MATE :exclamation: :exclamation: . The conviction may hamper you mate as any future employer may have to pay an extra premium on their insurance mate, i am recently qualified as a class 1 driver and my boss claude had to pay a little bit extra on his premium and he had to increase his excess for me too. but i was lucky i learnt to drive with him and my instructor put a word in with him too. but good luck anyway with it, if it’s what you want go for it mate :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Most employers I’ve enquired to all say that points aren’t a problem apart from DR offences. I would look at approaching companies and agencies to get the verdict straight from the proverbial :confused:

Don’t convictions come off your license after 4 years, if so it might be worth waiting until you can get it removed.

DR do not get removed from your licence untill 11 years have spent!

Personaly I think it will hamper your chances of getting a good job, but it may not stop you getting a job driving!

Some agencies will employ drivers who have DR endorsements others will not! I know our local ADR Agency will employ drivers with a DR but needless to say our local ADR agency is amongst the worst agency arround.(as far as pay and conditions) Just my opinion! :wink:

I think if you explain to prospective employers, like you have here, that you were daft, and understand your mistake, some will have an ear and listen to you and with luck you may land a job!

Best of luck to you and Welcome to TruckNet!

Most insurance companies would regard the conviction spent after 5 years, even though it is on your licence for 11. You would still have to declare it but it shouldn’t load the premium too much. 3-4 years could cause a large rise in premiums, so you would need to ask around. There are firms out there that will take you on but these may not be the best for a newly qualified driver. They would however, get you on the ladder. After serving 6-12 with one of these firms, another more reputable company would look at you in a better light.
This is not the best route to go but it is another option. Dont let this put you off, go for your licence and you can look around and ask questions whilst you are training.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

All I can add to what has been said is that it should really hamper you getting a job with a firm, but don’t expect the best motor on the fleet for a while. A mate of mine had the same conviction and it tokk the full 11 yrs to get the insurance company to lower the premium enough for him to get a newer motor.

All the best if you choose to go for it though