Advice about drink driving conviction please

Hello, new forum member here.
Considering having a career change & obtaining C and C&E licence.
Can someone advise if it’s worth my while considering ,I was convicted of drink driving 8 years ago (1999). Will this stop me getting employment as a driver. Also have 3 points for speeding.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Hi mate

First the good news, the 3 points for speeding is not to much of a problem.

Now the bad news, a drink drive conviction (DD10) will make life very difficult for a new driver, although not impossible.

If you use the search facility at the top of the page you will find this subject has been well covered in the past.

hope this helps
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22206
this is one thread that covers the subject

Found another 1 that might be of use as well

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3739

Semtex, Cheers for the advice. The threads you highlighted are very useful reading.
I reckon I’m still going to go for my LGV as it’s something I’ve wanted for ages.
As regards getting started when I get my licence, I guess I’ll have to cross that bridge when I come to it and knock on plenty of doors. I made a very silly mistake in life & hope it doesn’t follow me forever.
All the best mate.

Right. This is not gospel.

But…

I was informed by a very senior DHL HR manager that you don’t legally have to reveal any convictions unless you are working with Children / vunerable people or places that require a police check and they cannot use them against you when selecting people for the job.

I’ve also heard that other places but it is not gospel and just what I heard!

Sockpuppet:
Right. This is not gospel.

But…

I was informed by a very senior DHL HR manager that you don’t legally have to reveal any convictions unless you are working with Children / vunerable people or places that require a police check

Given that an endorsement for DD must stay on the licence for 11 years and Keano1’s offence is 8 years old he would have a hard job not disclosing it. Any employer who is thinking of employing him for a driving job is going to want to look at his licence

Sockpuppet:
and they cannot use them against you when selecting people for the job.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Although the big haulage companies might have rigid employment policies on DD I think that many smaller companies might think that 8 years is long enough to prove you’re not some alcoholic and maybe that having been banned once it might have made you more carefull.

Sockpuppet what you are talking about is the resetlement of offenders act. This means that you don’t have to declare convictions after a certain period, depending on the offence.

Good luck!

muckles:
Although the big haulage companies might have rigid employment policies on DD I think that many smaller companies might think that 8 years is long enough to prove you’re not some alcoholic and maybe that having been banned once it might have made you more carefull.

I think your wrong on that one me old mucka ive been for quite a few jobs recently (see some of my more recent threads) and some were big companies (for round here) and some were small but they all said the same thing pretty much when i told them i had 6 points (2 x SP10’s) and that was “oh thats alright i/we dont mind speeding its just dangerous/drink driving we cant do coz the insurance refuses to cover them”
Dont want to put a dampener on your future plans keano1 but if i were in your position i’d go round knocking doors BEFORE you spend your hard earned and see what response you get.

Reef:

muckles:

I think your wrong on that one me old mucka ive been for quite a few jobs recently (see some of my more recent threads) and some were big companies (for round here) and some were small but they all said the same thing pretty much when i told them i had 6 points (2 x SP10’s) and that was “oh thats alright i/we dont mind speeding its just dangerous/drink driving we cant do coz the insurance refuses to cover them”
Dont want to put a dampener on your future plans keano1 but if i were in your position i’d go round knocking doors BEFORE you spend your hard earned and see what response you get.

In my dim and distant past, I also picked up a DR10. Since having it I have seen adverts for drivers stating “No DR10 or more than 6 points”

However if you apply for jobs and tell them before the interview, it has never caused me a problem.

I have worked for a company with yellow lorries even with a DR10

maybe its a location thing then wheel nut it stands to reason i suppose that the more firms there are around you the better your odds are

Reef:

muckles:

I don’t think it would be easy, but I do know drivers who have got jobs even a short time after a DD offence. I think after 8 years it should be easier, except of course you’re a new driver with a DD offence behind you.

hi keano and welcome.
i just thought i might put a new spin on things for ya.
one option may be to take your licences and stick things out where you are at the minute untill your conviction is spent, then when you start applying for jobs you would have had your licence for three years. in most cases people have no problem with new drivers it is just insurance companies that do and if you’ve had your licence for the magic two years they don’t normally care about the experience.
just a thought mate.
mat

I was banned for drink driving about 9 & abit years ago & i passed both my cat c & cat c+e in august last year. I managed to get a class 1 job within a month of passing & have been driving artics ever since. Just be honest about it & you shouldnt have any problems.

Thanks to all for the helpful & honest replies
:slight_smile:
I have decided to go for my Class 2 licence & start training with Tockwith in York in a couple of weeks.
I would hope I won’t be crucified for a very very stupid mistake so many years ago & I hope that I’ll get a chance somewhere.

I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

I would be interested to know if you get any ‘notes’ from the DVLA when you send for your provisional.
Many years ago a guy I know sent for his and he had quite a job getting his first provisional after a DD conviction - even though it was years past.
They used to refuse Heavy Goods to anybody convited at one time but I believe that has all changed now.
Please let us know I would be interested to hear.

When I first got my PCV provisional, I had had a 6 month ban on totting up (2 x 6 points for no insurance. [Not my fault, first one I was convinced the vehicle was on private land when it wasn’t, 2nd one, I was told I was insured whilst I ran a ■■■■■■ up “mate” home from the pub. :unamused: He told me he had "any driver insurance but refused to stump up the paperwork when I got a producer.])

Anyway, back to the point. I sent off my provisional application and waited. The envelope came back from dvla a few days later only it wasn’t my provisional. it was a letter informing me that I had to appear before the TC’s to see if I was “a fit and proper person to hold a vocational licence

In the end I didn’t have to appear, I phoned them up and explained that , although I had no objection to appearing, I had a job offer with training due to start in a couple of weeks time and asked if they could bring the hearing forward.

I was very surprised when they said I didn’t have to appear after all and that the provisional was now on its way. Must have been an “attitude” test over the phone

The envelope came back from dvla a few days later only it wasn’t my provisional. it was a letter informing me that I had to appear before the TC’s to see if I was “a fit and proper person to hold a vocational licence”

I agree (for once) with the DVLA for being keen on drink drivers.
Bad enough in charge of a car but drunk in charge of a truck :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Does not bear thinking about.

I got my provisional no problem.
Maybe it was because my DR30 (refusing to give a specimen) was 8 years ago. Possibly they take a view that it was long enough a go to show it was a ‘one off’ & that I’m not a repeat offender.

hi to all, i am new on here and i find it great and full of valueable info, things you dont get taught at training schools, i passed my class c two wk ago and sit c+e next friday so heres hoping i get that also.
i read this on a post and it got me thinking , am i going to be able to get a job if this is the rule,

(in most cases people have no problem with new drivers it is just insurance companies that do and if you’ve had your licence for the magic two years they don’t normally care about the experience.
just a thought mate.)

just hope when and if i get c+e some kind soul will take a look at my sad face and give me a chance as how else you going to get the 2 year exp ,
cheers for all the great info its a pleasure reading all the topics.