wannabe trucker.

hi guys good wee site here :slight_smile: I have a few questions to ask so would be gratefull for all info. Right I have contacted a few companys who say they can put me through my hgv class 2 in a week for 1200 quid then they will fix me up
with a job the firm is HGV ADVANTAGE . Two or three other fims offered roughly the same deal and job promise suppose my question is can anyone g
arauntee you a job/?
I lost my liscence in 1999 due to drink drivig stupid I know but have not had a point or fine since that. I think it takes 11 years to come of my licence but will any fims touch me until its copletely of ?
The instructer firms all say its not a problem but they just want my custom i think. any info would be great .

cheers john

You should research training firms more thoroughly, and check out peoples comments on here about some! Especially those that promise the world or guarantee a pass or say they have 30 or 40 sites all over the country! Best to use your local company IMHO there aren’t any national companies I would use.

I don’t think an employer would hold the DD conviction against you as it was some time ago. If there were 2 peeps up for the same job then maybe you wouldn’t be selected.

I had a guy with a real ‘bad’ licence and he got work no problem.

Cheers mart I did ask a good few people and got same reply as you about these national firms was just double checking. The same goes with the drink driving I got a mix bag of answers some said no due to insurance reasons and some where maybe if we are busy.

Another wee question is whats realistic wages in glasgow. I am a time served brickie and made 26k last year but will not make that this year due to the buildin trade going â– â– â– â–  up. I take it agencies are probably the only ones who take on newbies? And could anyone post any agecies here.

cheers john

Rog must be dead or summat, because he normally has a plug all ready for any newcomer who dares to peep over the parapet :laughing:

A bit like Blue Peter, here is one I made earlier :wink:

Dont worry about the DR10,

Hi John have a look here.

driverhire.co.uk/office%20lo … index.html

Hello Mate,

welcome to the site.

i think the DD wouldnt be a problem but like has been said if 2 people go for one job…

as for the training companies try the local yellow pages for companies and so on.

try searching for a member on here called ORYS, as he is up that way and has been with a few agencies and will probably point you in the right direction.

good luck mate

Wheel Nut:
Rog must be dead or summat, because he normally has a plug all ready for any newcomer who dares to peep over the parapet :laughing:

Not quite dead :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome johnham :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

HGV ADVANTAGE

have you parted with any cash yet :question:

To book any LGV training I suggest the trainee-to-be, visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Using the site Search facility at the top of this page and putting the words TRAINING AND WHERE you wish to train may turn up some recommendations. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING

A number of LGV instructors, myself included, are finding that the general driving standard of many trainees coming to do their LGV ‘C’ course is not at a very high standard.
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.
For the trainee this means wasted time on the course and that means that the trainee is paying good money to be taught how to drive again :exclamation:

There are a number of things that a driver can do before starting their first LGV training course to improve their general driving.

The obvious ones are to practise the DSA procedures, which could mean losing the rear view mirror, and then, every time to set off, doing the mirror, mirror, blind spot routine. Checking BOTH side mirrors before moving within the lane you are in, signalling or before the increasing & decreasing of your speed.

The less obvious is to practise forward planning — the THINKING bit.

A good way of doing this is to use your brakes a lot less than what you do at present — sounds daft but think about it — to use the brakes less then you will have to ease off earlier — to ease off earlier you will have to plan ahead more.
I don’t mean by changing down through the gearbox either as that will waste fuel.
A good example would be when approaching a queue of standing traffic, which is waiting for traffic lights to change or waiting to enter a roundabout.
The moment you see the queue, check mirrors and ease off in the gear you are in. let the vehicle slow down on it’s own, dipping the clutch as necessary to control any possible stalling. If the vehicle gets to the lowest gear speed (usually first gear) then engage that gear.
If, whilst easing off, you anticipate that the traffic is going to proceed, then engage the gear that will take you with them without rushing up to the rear of the queue.
You will be leaving a large area of tarmac in front of your vehicle when you ease off early. If another vehicle goes into the gap then re-adjust to accommodate it. If you curse at the vehicle that went into your forward space then decide if a few feet of tarmac is worth getting stressed over!!

When following other traffic, do you touch your brakes when they touch theirs? — If yes, then you are too close. Back off so that you can ease off without the use of brakes. Again, this requires a good deal of forward planning, which will be very useful when you drive a truck.

The general idea is to never stop but to keep moving forward even if at a very slow pace.

If you have to use the brakes then plan to use them gradually. Start by taking up the play of the pedal then resting the weight of your foot & leg on the pedal. That is then followed by squeezing down onto the pedal and squeeze down to a depth that will do the job during the middle of your braking so that you can ease off the pedal well before you actually need to come to a stop.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32991

have a look at that post

Your DR10 stays on your licence for 11 years you were tight about that but some firms will still take you on with it but nor all due to insurance purposes

johnham have you tried nas in livingston

Cheers for all the info guys. Decided to go with Ritchies in glasgow been on the go for well over twenty years so thats good enough for me.You cant beat experiance.
Will no be doing anything about it for at least two weeks as i am away on sat for 10 days of all inclusve bliss in spain :stuck_out_tongue: and leave all this â– â– â– â–  weather behind for a bit.

johnham:
Decided to go with Ritchies in glasgow been on the go for well over twenty years so thats good enough for me.You cant beat experiance.

I can recommend them. I did my C, D and CE training there Nov / Dec last year. Passed them all first time round with John McKendry, another John (auld dour fella) :laughing: and Paul (Northern Irish guy).

I did the cat C and I went back to do my D and CE back-to-back. Got a good deal on the second pair from the big man Walter Ritchie.

Watch out for examiner Andy McVey (had him take me for D and CE) at the Bishopbriggs test centre. He’s good at making you think you’ve failed in the first ten minutes of a test, but apparently he has the best pass rate. Think he likes to test your nerves and see if you can hold it together. He’s alright really. (3 minors each time) The head honcho examiner is Alan Dickson. Firm but fair - gave me 12 minors on the C-test outing.

Let us know how you get on when you get started.