Drink driver.

Have any new drivers with DR10s anything to update this post ?

Have a lookout in Pubs for a new Boss.
Maybe you find one who understands you.

I lost my licence back in 97 for dd & had a years ban. Having just passed both my lgv tests in aug last year i managed to land a job on class 1. Wouldnt worry about it mate!!

Can anyone help? I am very much interested in taking my LGV(C) test and hopefully finding work in the industry as a driver. One thing is troubling me though, I have a 9 year old drink driving conviction and am wondering if this will hinder me in finding work. I know that Insurance companies in the main do not look at any convictions over 5 years old. Can anybody advise?

Cheers

Martin

martin72:
Can anyone help? I am very much interested in taking my LGV(C) test and hopefully finding work in the industry as a driver. One thing is troubling me though, I have a 9 year old drink driving conviction and am wondering if this will hinder me in finding work. I know that Insurance companies in the main do not look at any convictions over 5 years old. Can anybody advise?

Cheers

Martin

hi martin

and welcome to TruckNet :smiley:

this is taken from the dvla web site

Endorsements must remain on a licence for 11 years from date of conviction if the offence is :

drinking/drugs and driving (shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30 and DR80).

to be honest i can’t see many legit companys taking on a driver with a dr conviction :cry: ,as you say the conviction is 9 years old you only have 2 years to go.

so give it time is the best advice i can give you mate,you could still do the test then thats out of the way .

good luck mate and i hope that helps

jon

You aught to be OK Martin, I got my licence revoked in the early 80’s, and had a DD on it as well. In all I was only off the road about 14 months, and that was a couple of months over the ban to get appeal for lifting the revocation, I got it back because a gaffer sent a letter in for me as I can do the job. If a gaffer wants you, you’ll get work no problem, just might have to steer clear of any firms that are holier than thou and involve loads of [zb], a small hauliers your best bet I think.

naughty naughty,jb

welcome to trucknet martin.if you ain’t had any more convictions since that date or have any more pending then i think you could be alright.but that depends on who you go with.small company would be better for you.i hope that you have been taught a lesson as your lgv licence is going to be your lively hood,and to get it taken off you means nothing coming in.this is my pet hate,how some people spend money to get there licence and go out drink driving and end up getting it taken of them.but that is just my own thoughts,apart from the potential damage that can be done with a drunk driver.good luck and remember it’s your licence don’t through it away for a drink. :bulb: :wink:

Cheers. Some mixed resposes there but the majority so far are positive. I know I am going to encounter some zealots out there but hopefully I should be able to find something. As it is not an issue regarding insurance it would only be the employers discretion that would prevent me from getting a job. I hope that somebody out there will take my case at its merits.

Martin, I’d agree with the others - smaller firms are usually more forgiving. I’d phone a few and ask them if they would take you on. This would give you a realisitc idea as to wether it is worth waiting a couple of years.

Although I agree with Kitkat, I know how easy it might be to get in a car after a skinfull. I sometimes drive into town, park the car up outside the area where you need to pay for parking and then go out with mates and get trolleyed then go back for my car the next afternoon once I’ve slept it off. Many times I’ve staggered out a club with keys in pocket and thought to myself - I’m OK to drive. Then caught myself and staggered off for a night bus/taxi. Booze is a dangerous thing!!

I should just get the bus into town. :unamused:

Lostpup:
Martin, I’d agree with the others - smaller firms are usually more forgiving. I’d phone a few and ask them if they would take you on. This would give you a realisitc idea as to wether it is worth waiting a couple of years.

Although I agree with Kitkat, I know how easy it might be to get in a car after a skinfull. I sometimes drive into town, park the car up outside the area where you need to pay for parking and then go out with mates and get trolleyed then go back for my car the next afternoon once I’ve slept it off. Many times I’ve staggered out a club with keys in pocket and thought to myself - I’m OK to drive. Then caught myself and staggered off for a night bus/taxi. Booze is a dangerous thing!!

I should just get the bus into town. :unamused:[/quote

at least you know your limits lostpup

Welcome to trucknet Martin.
You are alone in having done something you later regretted, ( I have worked with both HGV & PSV drivers who been caught for exactly the same offence.) Your offence being& 9 years ago, should prove it was a one off mistake & not be too much of a problem.
Good luck.

i have a dr10 on my licence.
its been there since 1997.
since 2002 all premiums went back to normal.

regards
paul

I think a 9 year old DD convection shouldn’t worry most companies if you’ve kept a clean sheet since then. The only ones that might not employ you are agencies becuase of promising thier customers drivers with clean licences and big firms who have strict employment rules.
If you want to be a HGV driver I’d go for it and get the licence and then start knocking on doors. Your problem might be the same as most new drivers that is getting over the lack of experience barrier.

I second muckles…

SHOULDN’T BE A PROB MATE I WAS 2 MONTHS SHORT OF FIVE YEARS FROM A DD INCIDENT AND HAD NO PROBS AT ALL. HAVENT DD SINCE THEN THO’ NOW I DRIVE THERE AND THE WIFE DRIVES HOME GOOD ARRANGEMENT SHE DONT DRINK MUCH… LUCKY ME :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: