Doubles are coming

Netherlands government allows use of double-trailer trucks and calls on other EC countries to follow suit

ifw-net.com/freightpubs/ifw/ … 875313.htm

:wink:

So double wages for pulling double the trailers. Happy days and good times.

Coffeeholic:

and even less drivers required to transport the same weights/ volumes thereby driving wages down :imp:

Coffeeholic:

not so sure about that,but double the time in the bunk whilst being loaded,tipped :wink:

Will never happen.

ady1:

Coffeeholic:

not so sure about that,but double the time in the bunk whilst being loaded,tipped :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I like your thinking Ady :smiley:

When life hands you lemons make lemonade :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think they should allow them here, strictly on motorways and dual carriageways. Deviating from the route or getting it stuck should equal massive fines for the operator hopefully ensuring that they train the drivers properly. You could even stipulate they are only allowed on the roads at night.

Saaamon:
Will never happen.

true as our roads are not big enough to cope with them

For the life of me I can’t see why the likes of ■■■■ Denby are so keen to have them. Any financial gain will soon be wiped out by the competition undercutting, so what’s the point? More trouble than they’re worth methinks but I’m all ears if anyone else thinks differently!

It could happen! EU directive! Or the old chestnut! “there is too much of a driver shortage” and need longer heavier vehicles to move goods! And then there is the “Green” argument! Polution control etc!

44 Tonne Ton:
For the life of me I can’t see why the likes of ■■■■ Denby are so keen to have them.

Even more strange is drivers who want to have them. :unamused: That makes no sense at all, apart from the obvious they want to drive one so they can be Billy Big ■■■■. :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:
For the life of me I can’t see why the likes of ■■■■ Denby are so keen to have them. Any financial gain will soon be wiped out by the competition undercutting, so what’s the point? More trouble than they’re worth methinks but I’m all ears if anyone else thinks differently!

Because he wears a stupid hat, is 74 years old and should be put in a home for the bewildered before he does anymore damage to the industry.

Even if he doubled his drivers wages for driving the thing, they will still be on average wages :smiling_imp:

Wheel Nut:

44 Tonne Ton:

Because he wears a stupid hat, is 74 years old and should be put in a home for the bewildered before he does anymore damage to the industry.

You’re right because Stan Robinson has the right idea with a proper doubles outfit not a mickey mouse b doubles one.A 480 would’nt be much use running at 80 tonnes +. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

I include Robinson in the same category as Denby. If it will make more dosh then there’s a point to it. If not…

They already use B-doubles in The Netherlands, some of the supermarkets use them for store deliveries,
I was talking to a driver whilst he was changing trailers.
Very involved and time consuming, it took him at least 30 minutes to swap 1 trailer for the other.
Apart from that he said on the road it wasn’t much different to a wagon and drag, the A frame type, once the first trailer was going round the corner the second one followed.
I didn’t ask if he got extra money for doing it, but the dutch are well paid to start with anyway.

44 Tonne Ton:
I include Robinson in the same category as Denby. If it will make more dosh then there’s a point to it. If not…

If it’s not more efficient to use larger trucks then everyone would be using 18 tonner 4 wheelers :bulb: .

i think that regardless of the eu regulation, this country will not take advantage…our island is too small, and it would cost billions to build motorway turn around points/depots…and they would have to hire/buy lots of smaller little trucks, to transport the goods from the mega trailers into town…and i think we`ve already got a system in place to do just that…its called a railway…so its a no go…
As for Mr Denby ( malc )…i quite like the panama hat…it makes one look important…although it didnt work for him and vosa…it may work when selling his rigs to the dutch though. :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

44 Tonne Ton:
For the life of me I can’t see why the likes of ■■■■ Denby are so keen to have them.

Even more strange is drivers who want to have them. :unamused: That makes no sense at all, apart from the obvious they want to drive one so they can be Billy Big ■■■■. :wink:

My thoughts exactly, it would mean me unloading 102 cages at a shop instead of 51, still I’m sure they would pay me double for it, now where are those flying pigs

truckyboy:
i think that regardless of the eu regulation, this country will not take advantage…our island is too small, and it would cost billions to build motorway turn around points/depots…and they would have to hire/buy lots of smaller little trucks, to transport the goods from the mega trailers into town…and i think we`ve already got a system in place to do just that…its called a railway…so its a no go…
As for Mr Denby ( malc )…i quite like the panama hat…it makes one look important…although it didnt work for him and vosa…it may work when selling his rigs to the dutch though. :laughing:

How is two standard length artic trailers coupled together for trunking and long distance work a ‘mega trailer’ and why do we need to build ‘motorway turnaround points’ for an outfit that does’nt need much more room to turn than the present length ones :unamused: :unamused: :question: .

Big Roy:

Coffeeholic:

44 Tonne Ton:

My thoughts exactly, it would mean me unloading 102 cages at a shop instead of 51, still I’m sure they would pay me double for it, now where are those flying pigs

There would’nt be much advantage in using an A train to deliver cages to the supermarket but there would be to haul full artic loads on long distance trunking and international runs. :bulb: