Doubles are coming

For those of us who are not sure, are we talking about…

A, a regular artic with another artic trailer attached to the rear of the first trailer via an “A” frame draw bar dolly.

B. a regular artic trailer but with the back 10 foot or so cut down to the chassis frame and a fifth wheel fitted to said space and coupled to that another 40ft trailer.

C. a 3 axled rigid front half coupled to a 40ft trailer on an “A” frame drawbar dolly as per the Scandanavians.

D, or what■■? :laughing: :laughing:

bullitt:
For those of us who are not sure, are we talking about…

A, a regular artic with another trailer attached to the rear of the first trailer via an “A” frame draw bar dolly.

B. a regular artic trailer but with the back 10 foot or so cut down to the chassis frame and a fifth wheel fitted to said space and coupled to that another 40ft trailer.

C. a 3 axled rigid front half coupled to a 40ft trailer on an “A” frame drawbar dolly as per the Scandanavians.

D, or what■■? :laughing: :laughing:

That would probably be the worst of all worlds D for dog of an outfit caravan type close coupled trailer put on the back of an artic trailer. :open_mouth: :laughing:

I thought we had them here already ! or are lorries travelling much closer together now ? :laughing: :laughing:

Fairly common sight on containers in northern France, has been for years

classicman:

Ok, but what is that■■?

It looks like a regular 40ft skelly with a 20ft box in the middle and a fifth wheel coupling over the rear axle. Then tagged onto the second fifth wheel coupling is a 20ft skelly plus box!!

Yes??

And if so, is that what every one is going on about??

bullitt:

classicman:

Ok, but what is that■■?

It looks like a regular 40ft skelly with a 20ft box in the middle and a fifth wheel coupling over the rear axle. Then tagged onto the second fifth wheel coupling is a 20ft skelly plus box!!

Yes??

And if so, is that what every one is going on about??

Probably yes but it would make a lot more sense on that job to have either an 8 wheeler rigid with a 20 ft container,or just use the artic with the usual 40 foot trailer,pulling another 40 ft trailer using a 2 axle drawbar dolly. :question: :bulb: :unamused:

“Probably yes”!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that a “probably your are right” or is it “yes you are correct”■■? :laughing: :laughing:

My head hurts, im going down the pub in a bit! :wink:

bullitt:
“Probably yes”!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that a “probably your are right” or is it “yes you are correct”■■? :laughing: :laughing:

My head hurts, im going down the pub in a bit! :wink:

Being that this is the Europeans not the Swedes,Ozzies,or Yanks we are talking about it’s a probably something like that which the Dutch waccy baccy schmokers have in mind having seen the French using them for ages. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jumbo_truck.jpg

Typical The Netherlands is one of the smallest countries in the EU and is able to solve this problem, and the 5th ? largest country in the EU has a problem?

caledoniandream:

Typical The Netherlands is one of the smallest countries in the EU and is able to solve this problem, and the 5th ? largest country in the EU has a problem?

I thought so.The waccy baccy schmokers have gone for the d for dog train.So out of all the possible options they’ve gone for the worst one. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: So who’s the poor mug who’s got to reverse it in the yard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

I thought so.The waccy baccy schmokers have gone for the d for dog train.So out of all the possible options they’ve gone for the worst one. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: So who’s the poor mug who’s got to reverse it in the yard. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There are drivers and people who drive a truck!!
Ever reversed a A-frame trailer Carryfast■■?

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

There are drivers and people who drive a truck!!
Ever reversed a A-frame trailer Carryfast■■?

Absolutely and I’ve driven them enough miles forwards too and that’s why I’d prefer the real thing to that mickey mouse close coupled caravan job or B trains. :smiley: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66807&hilit=longertrailers&start=30#p836685 :smiley:

Carryfast:
You’re right because Stan Robinson has the right idea with a proper doubles outfit not a mickey mouse b doubles one.A 480 would’nt be much use running at 80 tonnes +. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Twill never happen in the UK

It is a glorified bog roll holder

Wheel Nut:

Depends how much money greases certain palms?
Of course they’ll be a public outcry lead by certain groups, no doubt funded by the railways and transport unions, but of course you can always get the legislation through by blaming it on the EU, whilst walking away with a nice lump sum deposited into your off shore bank account. :unamused:

Carryfast:

44 Tonne Ton:
I include Robinson in the same category as Denby. If it will make more dosh then there’s a point to it. If not…

If it’s not more efficient to use larger trucks then everyone would be using 18 tonner 4 wheelers :bulb: .

It might be more efficient. Over the years my understanding of those two words is more work, less pay. I repeat, who will make money from it apart from the trailer builders?

Coffeeholic:
So double wages for pulling double the trailers. Happy days and good times.

Not at our place, the drivers just make extra money hooking and unhooking them :open_mouth:

44 Tonne Ton:

Carryfast:

44 Tonne Ton:
I include Robinson in the same category as Denby. If it will make more dosh then there’s a point to it. If not…

If it’s not more efficient to use larger trucks then everyone would be using 18 tonner 4 wheelers :bulb: .

It might be more efficient. Over the years my understanding of those two words is more work, less pay. I repeat, who will make money from it apart from the trailer builders?

In which case don’t bother with getting a class 1/C+E licence,or get it downgraded to Class 2/C if you’ve got one,and just drive a 4 wheeler doing ‘less work’ for ‘more pay’ instead of an artic or drawbar outfit. :bulb: :laughing:

As to the answer to who will make money from it ?.All depends on what the zb’s in the British government would allow but 80 tonner + roadtrains or 60 tonner + drawbar outfits would provide a lot more opportunities for British owner drivers,if they put themselves out to obtain the right equipment,than they’ve got now.But that would’nt please the lot in big business running rail freight operations and cheap labour big fleet east european international road transport operations. :bulb:

No prizes for guessing which side the British government would be on. :imp: :unamused:

You are mad.

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

Not really Carryfast, the waccy baccy schmokers have gone for ‘all of the above’.
Maximum length total is 25.25 metres.
Can be a D, dog train

A, a regular artic with another trailer attached to the rear of the first trailer via an “A” frame draw bar dolly.

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

Depends how much money greases certain palms?
Of course they’ll be a public outcry lead by certain groups, no doubt funded by the railways and transport unions, but of course you can always get the legislation through by blaming it on the EU, whilst walking away with a nice lump sum deposited into your off shore bank account. :unamused:

If there’s any ‘pressure’ being put on the government it’ll be the rail freight zb’s and big fleet supermarket type local operations not suited to ‘proper’ LHV’s doing it.Which is probably why the issue seems to be limited to mickey mouse larger vehicles for local work not the type of larger and much heavier vehicles which could take long distance work away from rail freight.