Dodgy/welching employers

Hi…Im not only new to this forum but also a new cat C driver and not sure if I can just jump into the "big" persons forum but Id like to ask a question of behalf of a friend…yes…honestly !.

My friend is a class one driver recently returned to distance haulage after a long period in recovery work.Hes just come back from two trips to Spain where he had no end of trouble with the card issued to him by his employer for expenses etc...card refused...and now says hes jacked in the job as his wages haven`t been paid either…on issue of a threat the employer gave my pal a cheque for £500 but still owes a deal more.

Is there anywhere he can find out how to deal with this legally ?

Im a bit concerned as hes not the type to take this lightly and will seek some alternative “payment” methods.

Im wondering if I can provide another way for him to sort out whats owed without expensive legal fees costing more than he`s owed.

Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good place to start. They would be able to give a lot of information on what steps he could take.

Coffeeholic:
Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good place to start. They would be able to give a lot of information on what steps he could take.

Thanks for this…I know it seems obvious and there are places such as small claims court etc but it`s a long process I think…

Once again
…cheers.

stephanovich:
there are places such as small claims court etc but it`s a long process I think.

Not sure of the length of the process but I think it is a very easy one, again the CAB should be able to help with the forms etc.

It`s something my pal is sorely rueing…he gave up a fine job as he wanted to get back to artic work and something he felt was a little more regular …I guess he should have checked a little more thoroughly than he did…and a lesson for myself for the future.

stephanovich:
It`s something my pal is sorely rueing…he gave up a fine job as he wanted to get back to artic work and something he felt was a little more regular …I guess he should have checked a little more thoroughly than he did…and a lesson for myself for the future.

Yeah, grass is often only greener on the other side because of the amount of Bull on it.

stephanovich:
Im wondering if I can provide another way for him to sort out whats owed without expensive legal fees costing more than he`s owed.

You need this…

moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Having used it myself to persue a thieving scumbag for my money, I can’t speak highly enough of it. You do have to pay- For £3000 I paid a fee of £155- but you get this back from Mr Thieving Scumbag.

Harry Monk:
You need this…

moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Having used it myself to persue a thieving scumbag for my money, I can’t speak highly enough of it. You do have to pay- For £3000 I paid a fee of £155- but you get this back from Mr Thieving Scumbag.

Thanks for this link…and glad to know it works…the process that is… :slight_smile:

his bosses name wouldnt be SIMON would it?

lmfao :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nice one terry

ohterry:
his bosses name wouldnt be SIMON would it?

Some small outfit from out Rochester way with a couple of units…apparently he seemed fine and fell over himself to give my pal a start…ha,no wonder…!

Carl:
lmfao :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nice one terry

Well …I guess the jokes on me for this one…

steph i think you misunderstand me mate myself and terry know of a git who did the same trick to him and roxy and bear
i was laughing at terry,s response mate not yourself as it wouldve been one hell of a coincidence if it was simon

Carl:
steph i think you misunderstand me mate myself and terry know of a git who did the same trick to him and roxy and bear
i was laughing at terry,s response mate not yourself as it wouldve been one hell of a coincidence if it was simon

Yeah no offence meant or taken…I guess there`s more than enough ■■■■■■■■■ that fit the description to go around… :wink:

I`m hoping my experiences are limited to the hearsay and rumour type :wink:

Did the alarm bells not start ringing on his first trip when the card kept getting knocked back. :confused: Trouble is this guy will find another fool as international work seems to be in high demand. He hoped your mate would dip into his own pocket and use his own credit card to complete the trip, hopefully he did’nt fall for that con.

R143-500:
Did the alarm bells not start ringing on his first trip when the card kept getting knocked back. :confused: Trouble is this guy will find another fool as international work seems to be in high demand. He hoped your mate would dip into his own pocket and use his own credit card to complete the trip, hopefully he did’nt fall for that con.

Many years ago my brother, wanting to get back into international work after a time away, was offered a job by a small haulier in Nottingham. Everything seemed fine and he was given a date to start as soon as the unit came back from the paint shop. The day arrived, he was given his instructions as to where to go and load and set off down to the painter’s place to collect the motor. The bloke wouldn’t release it because his bill hadn’t been paid (for an earlier one). Boss said no problem I will sort it, collect it tomorrow instead. This went on for about 3 days and Bro called it quits at that. As he said to me ‘it was getting to the point where I was worried the bloke would give me the truck and I’d be setting off across Europe without knowing if I would be paid!’ I think he had a lucky escape, another mug was found to take it and the motor ended up in a tangled heap in the back of beyond somewhere, driver not to return.

R143-500:

Apparently the first time wasnt so bad and on return to base he did a quick turn around and it was only during the second run the problems began....diesel card refused etc and my mate standing there with full tanks and the guys in the station glaring at him....but he didnt move from where he was and 5 hours later it was sorted out !

Then refusals at toll stations etc but my mate used the operators cash meant for another purpose…

The guy also asked him to “pick up a parcel” that was “on his way home” at which point he knew it was time to mention a few things at customs and had them check the load etc…it was then that he decided to phone his missus and found that he`d not been paid either and so on return he obviously jacked…

He`s also involved a few agencies (the legal kind) and is not a very happy bunny at present…the operator is obviously a very silly boy.

stephanovich:
The guy also asked him to “pick up a parcel” that was “on his way home” at which point he knew it was time to mention a few things at customs and had them check the load etc…it was then that he decided to phone his missus and found that he`d not been paid either and so on return he obviously jacked…

Is your mates name Guy Ritchie as it seems like a plot from one of his films. When he rang his wife was it a long distance call to Malawi :laughing: .

R143-500:
Is your mates name Guy Ritchie as it seems like a plot from one of his films. When he rang his wife was it a long distance call to Malawi :laughing: .

at present he`s “Guy not very “richie” at all”… :unamused:

i have just stopped working for such a guy nd believe me its heartache…

why do some cowboys do that to honest drivers it takes the ■■■■.

I worked for Karl Sanderson and from what other drivers i have met have told me he owes more than half a dozen drivers money as the scub bag has forgotten to pay them there wages… People like this should be shot