Help Needed

ALL, need some advice and this will be passed on to a mate of mine who has been well and trully by his employer.
He passed his C+E test about 9 months ago and hasn’t driven till about a month ago. A call from a haulier who got his name from somewhere and a job was offered. Tramping for a whole week and back home on weekends, the haulier seemed to be a bit doggy as he never had a fuel card and used to hand out cash to fill the lorry up till a container contract came up. My mate worked for this chap for a month and was expecting around £1200 to be in his bank before Christmas, £200 duly arrived and then the excuses started. Aparently he cost the haulier £900 in something or other and when we last spoke before christmas he said that the haulier was becomong very nasty. Not sure if he signed a contract or not as i’ve just got back and hadn’t had the chance to talk to him. How can he get anything out of this haulier, obviously there will be a record on the tacho card but what else can he do. At the begining it sounded really good but things started to go bad very quickly.

Any help/pointers welcome

hi pal this could take some doing the best advice is to see citizen advice or a solicitor my uncle had a similar situation and he is still trying to get paid it took just over 6 years now depends how the offender deals with the law he could either pay straight away or just keep avoiding it untill the max time for payment has elapsed which normally is 7 years. hope this is off some help pal.

thanks, i’m going to have a chat with my mate in the morning and let him know. Somehow I don’t hink highly of his chances of getting any cash from this dude. Will post the full storry including the name of the firm on my blog, who knows it could do something.

I can think of at least 10 good mates who’d pop round with me for one last final time to ask him nicely to hand over what is rightfully mine.

Those 10 mates would trust me enough to be telling them the whole story & not really deserving to be robbed of my hard earned. That’d make 11 mates that trust each other enough to stand up for what is right but not be stupid enough to get into trouble by doing it.

Whatever way your mate chooses to tackle this it will take a long time, if ever, to get everything back. My way & the way of almost everyone I know will cost him a few pints.

Good luck.

I’d thought about something similar, but it would involve a trip Up North, gets me that some people will try anything to weasle out of paying for a days work.

If violence isn’t a solution then he needs to try to get anything he can written down. Very unlikely he had a contract but tacho’s and anything else should be kept. If he can get a letter out of the guy explaining why he isn’t paying then he should but i doubt he will.

Next step is an official sounding letter to the guy stating what he is owed and why; setting out the hours he worked and the rate he should have been paid at, and threatening him with the small claims court and costs, if he doesn’t pay up. If your friend can’t do it himself then he needs to get help with it. Even pay a solicitor if neccessary.

tell ur mate to tell his employer, if u dont pay up im getting the next boat to zebrugge then im gona dump ur truck in the middle of nowhere in a foriegn country then im catching a plane back!
it will certanly cost more than £900 recovering and searching for his truck!!!

the thing with employers like him is they are probs used to getting solicitors letters etc, he hit him where it hurts in his paye packet so he has do the same and stand up against ■■■■■■■ like them!!

chappy261:
tell ur mate to tell his employer, if u dont pay up im getting the next boat to zebrugge then im gona dump ur truck in the middle of nowhere in a foriegn country then im catching a plane back!
it will certanly cost more than £900 recovering and searching for his truck!!!

the thing with employers like him is they are probs used to getting solicitors letters etc, he hit him where it hurts in his paye packet so he has do the same and stand up against ■■■■■■■ like them!!

Forget that…just dump the truck on any msa (knutsford is reccommended) and then just foxtrot oscar…“loseing” the keys on the way.
So now he has to
Find truck
pay for new locks
pay for clamp release
recover truck

If you want to be really vindictive…squirt some superglue in the ignician barrell as well…more cost for him

the only way really is small claims court , and a couple of phone calls to vosa will be welcome as well seeing as the bloke doesnt have financial standing anymore

ps , semtex did i spot you in family farm just before xmas with a container on for bryan ?

Hello mate, It does smell a bit funny, before getting the authorities involved is your mate definatly covered, what i mean is this fella sounds dodgy as muck so was was the haulier all legit Operators license etc and was your mate insured to drive there truck?? I would cover everything first to make sure that nothing could come back to your mate and bite him in his backside. If that is to long winded then it needs to be resolved privatly if ya no what i mean :wink:

shaw tarse:
the only way really is small claims court , and a couple of phone calls to vosa will be welcome as well seeing as the bloke doesnt have financial standing anymore

ps , semtex did i spot you in family farm just before xmas with a container on for bryan ?

That was me…one of the last spots of me for Bryan’s

Paul-H:
I’d thought about something similar, but it would involve a trip Up North, gets me that some people will try anything to weasle out of paying for a days work.

I’d find ways to entice him, weasely low lifes that rip people off are usually greedy people who just can’t pass an opportunity to make a fast £pound.

Can he be contacted with a proposal that would be too good for him to miss?

Me & my brother once invited a scumbag that ripped a maiden aunt off on some building work to come & estimate a job on my brothers house :sunglasses:

Violence is often the only language that these sub-humans seem to understand & no one can blame Billy for stopping & locking the door !

Chas:

Paul-H:

Me & my brother once invited a scumbag that ripped a maiden aunt off on some building work to come & estimate a job on my brothers house :sunglasses:

Violence is often the only language that these sub-humans seem to understand & no one can blame Billy for stopping & locking the door !

unfortunately chas, your not wrong what ur saying, 99% of the time it thier own mentallity that thinks like that anyway!!

Give the guys number am ready for a wind up… Couple of ciders and half bottle of Baileys cmon…

Semtex:
Forget that…just dump the truck on any msa (knutsford is reccommended) and then just foxtrot oscar…“loseing” the keys on the way.
So now he has to
Find truck
pay for new locks
pay for clamp release
recover truck

If you want to be really vindictive…squirt some superglue in the ignician barrell as well…more cost for him

Sod that, go upto his yard with a few “heavies” and baseball bats and kick 2 bells of ZB out of him… :laughing:
Christ, Im sounding like LimeyPhil now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scottishcruiser:
Give the guys number am ready for a wind up… Couple of ciders and half bottle of Baileys cmon…

Quiet ladies night in then? :laughing:

scottishcruiser:

Now there’s an idea that I did consider for a former boss

You know the graffiti you see on the back of toilet doors…eg for ■■■■■■■ call…

just add his number and let everyone else do your dirty work

this post has got me thinking, is the transport/distribution trade one of the most corrupt and cowboy ran proffessions there is?
albiet there are good, true and honest operators to work for, but they seem to be coming few and far between.

im trying to think of a similar job role thats like this, unfortunatly i could only think of one thing that matched the ripping people off and bieng corrupt and only cares about money and was i hate to say it but drug trafficing.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IM WRONG!!! :open_mouth:

p.s. it took me a long time to press the submit button for this post!!

pete-b:

scottishcruiser:

Quiet ladies night in then? :laughing:

Getting wasted then heading out…

chappy261:
this post has got me thinking, is the transport/distribution trade one of the most corrupt and cowboy ran proffessions there is?
albiet there are good, true and honest operators to work for, but they seem to be coming few and far between.

im trying to think of a similar job role thats like this, unfortunatly i could only think of one thing that matched the ripping people off and bieng corrupt and only cares about money and was i hate to say it but drug trafficing.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IM WRONG!!! :open_mouth:

p.s. it took me a long time to press the submit button for this post!!

Builders
Gas fitters
TV Repair man
Electricians
Roofers
need I go on?

back on topic, there is three ways to deal with this,
one is using the law, this could be very long winded and end up costing you money. :imp:
The second is through threats of violence or damage to his property, this could work but has it’s own risks, but may be the most satisfying :smiling_imp:
The third would be through a polite letter asking for your money before having to involve agencies such as VOSA, the VAT man and Customs and Excise as I would guess he would fall foul of all of them.

Good luck with what ever you do, but don’t get your self in trouble trying to sort it out