Insolvency....

Can any hauliers help me out?
Got home today to find a thick envelope on the doormat,opened it up to find A N Other haulage ltd is going insolvent on me and quite a few others.
There is a creditors meeting in a few weeks time which is middle of the week and ive been asked to attend,but, as owner drivers go,i cant afford to lose a days earnings aswell as looking to lose what they allready owe me (a weeks work on hire) as we all know the work is very tight at the moment.
I dont know much about insolvency,has anyone been unlucky to go through this in the past? if so, do i personally need to attend this meeting or can i send the forms back by post?
I should speak to the CAB but again,there open when were working.
Any advice would be grateful

Sorry to hear of your predicament. I haven’t been unlucky enough to have someone go bump on me.

However, if it was me and I couldn’t phyiscally attend the meeting, I would try and send someone and get them to keep me updated (the missus or a close friend maybe?). There might be something specific to your account that doesn’t get asked or information that you might need to provide to the administrators that might improve you’re chances of getting paid. Its a long shot but if it was me I would want to reduce the chances of the firm turning round and saying “you weren’t there, we gave you a chance” or similar BS statements. I would worry they would use anything to try and worm out of paying.

IMO, the CAB is worth shot, even if its just a 45minute phone call while you’re having your dinner.

Sorry, I couldn’t be more help. I wish you luck with getting what is rightfully yours.

Have a check through the papers and see if there is a proxy form for you to use - there usually is and it saves you attending, but acknowledges your claim. Sometimes you need to send copies to prove your debt with it.

I don’t attend creditors meeting any more, as it’s a statutory thing and from experience when a firm goes bust I have never got anything as an unsecured creditor. The only purpose of attending IMHO is to see the git who has ‘robbed’ you of your money squirm.

I have had it happen to me three times over the years dont waste your time in going complete the forms and send them in by registered post. the company have gone into liquidation because they havent got any money when the liquidators sell off all the assets if there is any of course. your at the bottom of the list for any money.
i think first to get paid is customs excise (vat) then inland rev(tax man) then the banks beleive me there will be nothing left to pay anyone these companies do it all the time.,
company in frome just done same thing went bust slight name change new director then bump all your creditors

john

a mate of mine had a company go bust on him, he never went to the creditors meeting, he thought it would just lose another days money, so filled in some forms and posted them off. After it was all done and dusted he got something ridiculous like 8p in the £.

It would appear that you can pretty much write the debt off with immediate effect, but I wish you good luck with it and hope you can do better than my buddy did.

Thanks for all the helpful replys,ive filled in the proxy form and sent it off with a letter explaining why I wont be attending along with Invoices and conveyance notes.
Can this Job get any worse? you work your arse off close on 52 weeks a year for nominal rates just for joe bloggs ltd to rip you off at the end of it.
Time to pick up the pieces and start again I suppose,ill keep you all informed as it progress’s,not holding out much hope though