Do you check your pin

I mean to use it instead of a dog clip.

jf1970:
yes,check it every time i leave it unattended.

+1

Harry Monk:

If the dog clip is there you are supposed to use it so by using a padlock instead I guess you could be done, but it would have to be a particularly officious officer to do you.

On the other hand I don’t know if the regulations specify a dog clip or just a locking device.

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

If the dog clip is there you are supposed to use it so by using a padlock instead I guess you could be done, but it would have to be a particularly officious officer to do you.

On the other hand I don’t know if the regulations specify a dog clip or just a locking device.

I’ve heard that VOSA when passing check to see if the dog clip is hanging down, so even if they didn’t do you, the hassle of being pulled might outweigh the risk / prevention of someone pulling your pin.

I’ve never known the pin to be pulled, but I checked mine every morning after someone put 5th wheel grease in the drivers door handle one night, if you’ve driven a daf cf, you know your hand goes into the handle.
Anyone willing to do that would be willing to pull a pin in my opinion, and one had aparantly been done to another truck in the same yard, although this was a MMTM story so no idea if it was true or not.
Also, lenses and bulbs stolen in same yard, number plates turned round, kill switches turned off (ok, I was guilty of this 1) etc …

yep, everyday along with my lights tyres etc on a quick walk round.
1 of my mates reckons i’m sad, but i just like piece of mind.

If I’ve been away from the cab for a while I’ll always check it, let’s face it It’s a only a few feet from the drivers door so It’s no great deal just to have a quick peep.

Harry Monk:
Out of interest, would it be legal to use a padlock instead of the clip?

Best to use a lock on somebody else’s 5th wheel . Especially if they have ■■■■■ you off ! Lol !

Always

toby1234abc:
School kids may do it on the cross channel ferries,just for a laugh.

Yes Toby of course they may, as they learnt how to do it in their HGV Technical lessons

No reason not to use a padlock, guaranteed not to have to leave the cab in the morning then :laughing:

On my drawbar theres a switch on the pin which lights up a green light on the dash to confirm the pin is locked and secure, why havent they implemented this on a normal artic unit?

mike68:
At my place we are allowed a 50 minute break, the last five minutes are for a walk round check.

As we are not the most popular providers of the retail experience disaffected locals have been known to sabotage our vehicles in the above mentioned way.

So thats a 45 min break and 5 min other work then :wink:

bubsy06:
No reason not to use a padlock, guaranteed not to have to leave the cab in the morning then :laughing:

Bolt cutters.

Thankyou.

Grayham:
On my drawbar theres a switch on the pin which lights up a green light on the dash to confirm the pin is locked and secure, why havent they implemented this on a normal artic unit?

ou may not necicerrily notice the grean light not being on though
Better to have sompthing that lights up red and flashes or buzzez if the pins not locked in but it detects there is a trailer there

Coffeeholic:

bubsy06:

Bolt cutters.

Thankyou.

As said before, no flys on you :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:
Out of interest, would it be legal to use a padlock instead of the clip?

If you take the clip off then you wouldn’t be required to use anything, assuming the type with the locking tab. So adding a padlock when you in fact don’t need anything wouldn’t be a problem

I worked with Lynx when they were on the go, and the guys on the tobacco contract used padlocks instead of dog clips on the 5th wheel. If they hit the panic button on the tracker in a hi-jack situation, the truck imobiliser would kick in meaning the trailer is stuck to the unit that can’t go anywhere, hopefully meaning that the load wouldn’t get nicked.

I’ve had kids sucessfully pull the red button out so I’m left stuck at the lights, having to exit the cab to reset it.
New Cross area.
The same area (traffic lights going into loampit vale) once saw an attempt to get the handle out on the 5th wheel, but they gave up when it wouldn’t budge, and they saw me exiting my cab with a rather murderous look on my face! :imp: :imp: :imp:

Dog clip was in needless to say.
If one is checking MIRRORS every 6 seconds whilst driving, then checking the dog clip is secure is something I do at the start and end of each walkaround, in case some ■■■■ has run up the otherside to me after I’ve otherwise already checked it.

I find myself changing trailers a lot more on agency work than I ever did as a RM full timer!

toby1234abc:
When doing the daily check after a night out,do you see if some low life has not pulled the pin,then they are hiding in the bushes to see your trailer fall flat on the floor.
School kids may do it on the cross channel ferries,just for a laugh.

I go the one Way around away from Lorry and the other half when i come Back.So,the Pin is seen when i came back.

youtube.com/watch?v=J5FCotsw … re=related

Yes
well sometimes
can you use a padlock ?
dont give em ideas Harry
anything will do. A nut and bolt would do
but not just a bolt on its own as it may jump out
Dog clips areused because there easy

had mine stolen last week at toddington north overnight :angry: