pullin the pin

after chattin with a mate of mine it came up in conversation that he has heard of a few stories of lads havin there king pin pulled when park up in serives etc just wonderin have any of u lads had the same prob

Thank god for daily checks :wink:

yea that what i was thinkin but aparently some of these have happend while driver has nipped in for quick toilet stop was just askin as i wonder if the story is bein exagerated slighty as it happens so many times

I have formed the habit of re-checking my pin whenever I’ve been away from the truck . Takes seconds but feel it’s worth it .

Someone pulled my red line at Oxford services once too , tssrs :smiling_imp:

cliffton 27:
yea that what i was thinkin but aparently some of these have happend while driver has nipped in for quick toilet stop was just askin as i wonder if the story is bein exagerated slighty as it happens so many times

Urban myth!

quite possibly a myth what gets me is what have ppl got to gain from messin with ppls units etc apart from riskin lives

I always had a routine when I returned to my truck even after a short break.
Glance underneath the front for any obvious sign of oil or coolant, unlock the passenger door. walk round the the truck to the drivers door just looking for anything obvous like a tyre going flat etc.

Wasn’t a full daily check, but did spot a few things that could be dealt with quickly instead of turning into a big problem later on in the day.

if i caught any ■■■■■■ pulling my pin i would strap them to the underneath of the bed and drive off :smiling_imp:
Only time I agree with pulling the pin is if someone has decided that they want to take a break by a fuel pump.

shade:
I have formed the habit of re-checking my pin whenever I’ve been away from the truck . Takes seconds but feel it’s worth it .

Same here, if I am feeling really brave I also go the back and check the rear lenses and number plate is still there (not that I carry spare lenses but hey ho)

Always glance at mine even if I’ve just been in an RDC waiting room you never know whose about maybe someone who holds a grudge, it takes less than 2 seconds to look as you go to get in you cab.

44 Tonne Ton:

cliffton 27:

Urban myth!

I thought that too … then one day I pulled into a truck stop in Rhode Island to find a freezer trailer on it’s knee’s in the middle of the yard and a bewildered driver scratching his head, he had been there over night and some wicked git had pulled the pin. I found 2 more instances over the years.
I ALWAYS check on return to the truck and starting every day, especially as it’s easier to pull the pin here, they have no tags or locking devices … something that worries me a lot, I always get a torch and look underneath to make sure the jaws are locked in place, I once had a trailer (luckily empty) drop of the fith wheel after moving 500 feet due to the jaws freezing up.

Actually I check everything :exclamation: including all tyres, hoses, lights and seals at every stop even for a pee. I got some CSA points a few weeks back for picking up a bolt in the tyre after checking it 20 miles earlier and if some kid cut my seals I would be in the poop for sure, the entire soad would have to go back 350 miles to NYC again.

I don’t know if it’s still as bad, but Asda Taunton used to be a nightmare. While you were in the back tipping, the local kids would be in your cab, pulling your pin, settin your parking break, pinching your dust caps then trying to sell them back to you, and generally being pains in the ■■■. Asda Duffryn in Newport was even worse, they would try to “surf” on the top of your trailer, by jumping from a high wall, to get into the yard,so yes, i check everything before moving off after being parked.

Don’t know about services but I have seen it happen on a ferry. Doors opened and this guy roared of leaving his trailer behind. I always check mine after being away from the vehicle, just a glance is enough to tell you if all is well.

I keep getting warned off other stobbie drivers to check it when I’m tipping at Purfleet. Apparently the tesco drivers there are being right militant ■■■■■■■■■ But saying that it could happen anywhere. I’ve just been measured up for my green stab vest, it’s extra thick on the back too :wink:

Dont the air lines need disconecting these days before the pin will pull

oldsid:

No.

oldsid:

Where did you hear that :question:

i had that done too me a few years ago in lymm truckstop when i was away for a shower, lucky i always look round truck after i been away from it.

If it does happen, it is because someone has a grudge towards the driver or the company, but I believe it is probably a convenient excuse if someone loses a trailer.