Discrimination

i am sure we understand discrimination in the work place i e if your able and qualified to do a job but because of age or maybe the colour of your skin your excluded from so doing .Would it therefore follow that if you have passed the LGV Cass one test and a compamy insurence say 2 years experience required are they discriminating against new passes ? after all your qualified in the eyes of the department of transport, i can understand that they may prefer some comercial driving experience but some one with 20 years class 2 who gos on to gain there class 1is hardly inexperienced

Can see your point but we all know it doesn’t really work like that. Best of luck with finding a use for your license though (assuming it’s you who you’re talking about).

well imm wagon and drag at the moment and relief class 1 supose its a start it just seems theres lots of guys out there spending hard earned money to gain this licence and i must say on ocasions i wonder why i botherd but hey thats life as they say ill keep it in the bank next time

bjd:
a compamy insurence say 2 years experience required

Taking any insurance company to the court for this - have fun!!

waon and drag at the moment and relief class 1 supose its a start

Both W&D and ARTIC are CE so I assume you just have a prefence for artic ?

not so much a preference but i but i just feel i would have more choice as for a route through the courts that would proberly be an even bigger waist of time than taking the test seems very odd that people who are prepaired to fund them self to improve there lot in life have very few opertunitys once they have passed but as i say thats life fellas just gotta keep smiling a

If there was a shortage of Drivers, the Insurance Company requirements would soon be forgotten about.Just view Inurance Companies as Bookmakers,they’re not going to take risks if they don’t have to.It’s much easier to have a blanket rule against inexperienced drivers than to assess each one individually to weed out the bad ones.

it’s like being a qualified bricky. two go for a job, both are qualified, but only one is time served.
the time served will get the job.

nothing to do with discrimination.

Depending on the size of the company I would assume the price between the two different types of insurance is astronomical.

These driving assessments must save a small fortune as well.

Don`t think saving money is discriminatory.

If insurance companies didn’t take the experience factor into account then you’d get far more 17 year-olds on the road in powerful motors - that isn’t classed as discrimination, it’s common sense. The insurance companies have got records going back which show the type of driver that is more likely to have an accident/claim & they weight their premiums etc. accordingly. Even though the DVLA says a driver is competent, and the driver him/herself feels competent, the probability that an inexperienced driver is going to have a claim on insurance means that employers have to impose an experience cut-off. Maybe not fair, but not illegal and, for all of us who pay insurance premiums, it’s sensible.

Deathstar:
If there was a shortage of Drivers, the Insurance Company requirements would soon be forgotten about.Just view Inurance Companies as Bookmakers,they’re not going to take risks if they don’t have to.It’s much easier to have a blanket rule against inexperienced drivers than to assess each one individually to weed out the bad ones.

Nope! A few years ago when work was plentiful that was still the situation, no 2 years experience not interested. A minority of companies will consider newbies you just have to find them. I can still remember when I was new to heavies and based on that experience I’d be reluctant to start a newbie if I was a gaffer…

bjd:
i am sure we understand discrimination in the work place i e if your able and qualified to do a job but because of age or maybe the colour of your skin your excluded from so doing .Would it therefore follow that if you have passed the LGV Cass one test and a compamy insurence say 2 years experience required are they discriminating against new passes ? after all your qualified in the eyes of the department of transport, i can understand that they may prefer some comercial driving experience but some one with 20 years class 2 who gos on to gain there class 1is hardly inexperienced

I can’t see this as an discrimination: everybody has the same right to gain 2 years of experience elsewhere before he or she got that job :wink:

Phone around, there’s jobs out there that’ll give you a chance.

If you have ‘extra’, then it’ll be more likely… ‘extra’ could be Level A+B (used to be Level 4), Hiab, haz-chem etc…

Experience helps get a job, but companies don’t like paying out if they don’t have to, so if you’ve got a qualification that they need, they’ll take you over the more experienced person who needs another day course.

If the company make less claims they pay lower premiums. If they only let drivers over a certain age drive they pay less premium. Statistically i expect newer drivers make more mistakes on their learning curve therefore statistically its cheaper for the company not to let them drive. If you want to try take them on then do so, but its only the same reason as to why a typical 17year old pays 10x the insurance of a typical 50year old.

Also a bit like the police find in some areas people of a certain ethnic background respond better to police officers who are cut from their own cloth so will actively seek to recruit a particular ethnicity. I think they call it positive discrimination and is all down to crime fighting statistics :laughing:

If the company place the amount of experience as part of the essential or disired criteria for the position it isn’t discrimation. They need to short list staff, and use these criterias to so - It’s classed as part of the recruitment process.

Not discrimination, just a fact of life.Yeah I know you cannot get the experience until you get the job etc, but unfortunately that`s how it goes,catch22.
Look at it this way, you have a 17yr old son/daughter who passed there test yesterday, if you had a Dodge Viper etc would you let them loose in it.

No its not discrimination just a fact of life. New drivers make lots of mistakes that are costly to the employer, the variety of the job dosnt help either. if your looking for work you can find it at places no one else wants to work, farmfoods (links logistics) takes on new drivers, but theres a reason for that as no one wants to work there and nor will you after one week. When you have had your licence 1yr some companys will take you on (tescos) but you have to lie and say you have 1yrs exp, normally your agency will lie for you when there desperate, also skips and tippers and pallet companys are easy to get into. Deal with it the same as everyone else had 2, youve got your license use it…

I have little tolerance for this kind of playing the victim attitude, why exactly is it discrimination?

Do you really expect someone to let someone with no practical experience loose with a hundred grand artic when there’s people looking for the same job who do have experience?

So you’ve got experience on rigids, well whoopie doo, that’s about as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise when it comes to driving artics, that’s why there are different categories on your licence, if rigid driving was the same as artic driving then it would all be the same category on your licence.

What you need to do is gain experience, you do this by taking a crap job, one that will employ anybody, maybe because the wages are no good, maybe because they don’t have a fleet of chromed up light show supermegatoptrotterXXLs, maybe because the work is crap, whatever, then you work your way up to a decent job, it may not be ‘fair’ but that’s the way it works in the real world, it’s the same for experienced drivers who want to change the type of job they do, for example, you may have 20yrs experience on artics in the UK, but if you want to get onto continental work, you won’t get a start on an ‘elite’ company until you can prove you know what you’re doing, that’s why they’re ‘elite’ companies in the first place, because they have seasoned veterans working for them who know what they’re doing.

Or you could, in the words of 44 tonne ton, ‘tell your mum’

i love the atitude of you pros just the sort od thing that holds this industry back still i supose thats why it will never change thanks for your input

bjd:
i love the atitude of you pros just the sort od thing that holds this industry back still i supose thats why it will never change thanks for your input

That’s the way it is mate, we don’t make the rules, we just have to play by them, this two years experience thing has been around since two years after the invention of the wheel.

Look at all the artics you see on the road, a lot of the drivers will have had to face the situation you’re in, none of them was born with experience, they managed it, I doubt many of them played the discrimination card, they just did what they had to do & now they’re exactly where you want to be, maybe it’s your attitude that’s holding you back, rather than a lack of experience.

bjd:

You seem not to understand basic things:

1. Discrimination, in all languages I know, is when someone is not allowed to do something and the other one is. If there is some condition you have to meet before you get something, it is NOT discrimination, as long asthe condition is same to everyone.

Example: If everyone is allowed to buy drinks after he turns 18, this is not a discrimination of under-age people. They just have to wait, as everyone else had to. If there would be a law, that only people with blue eyes can buy a beer, that would be a discrimination, as most of us will not have chance to have blue eyes.

Therefore this is not a discrimination that you can’t get a job: you have the same rights to gain experience required by employer as everyone else. And all of us there had to get some experience before we got a good jobs. Even, when there was plenty of jobs arround, most of us do not started driving fancy Scania Topline allover Europe. Ask, if you don’t believe: most people here started to drive small vans, doing removals, in some shady companies with dogs on chains… Or doing some boring jobs for supermarket networks… Or being on agency with all ups and downs of it…

1. There is many things arround which holds the industry back, but I think that not employing newbies who think that they are as good as experienced drivers instead of these experienced drivers :wink:

Even if someone has class 2 for 20 years, his experience on class one is next to none, compared to someone who had class 2 for two months and then class 1 for 10 years. Although the time spent by these class 2 driver on the road will be an advantage, especially compared to someone, who just made class 1 but never drove even a van.

But this is a right of employer to employ people they like, and they like people who will be good at the job they are supposed to do. And somehow the world is made that way, that experienced people are usually better than unexperienced ones :wink:

You just have to live with it… :wink:

Btw: you are so keen to blame discriminating behaviour because you suffer from lack of experience (seems so), but what about right to disposing private property as you wish? If I made a transport company, I put all my money and years of work in it, why I should be told by anyone who should I employ? In my view, if I would like to employ only pretty girls from Hungary with huge ■■■■, it should be my right to do so, as long, as it’s my private company and I never get a penny from the state and as long as they have right to work here :slight_smile: