New Driver

:cry:
Hello - Great site
Passed my Lgv 2 exam 18th Oct 07 Dvla licence, But hey shortage of drivers but I can not get a job !!!
I work for Royal Mail and can not get a driving job with them either, I have tried a couple of agencies but I can not afford to give up a full-time job for temp work.
But again they will not take me on because of insurance reasons !
Whats the point in spending ÂŁ2200 on a course when you can not get a job at the end of it.
I see Drivers from other countries, who seem to get jobs very easily and yet I have a Dvla licence and can not get experience.
I live in Sussex and am willing to work with-in an hours drive away, eg: Kent / Sussex / Surrey / Essex / Hampshire and even Middlesex.
Hope to take my Lgv 1 when I get my licence back from Dvla,
Anyone have any ideas ?
All the best, Keep on Trucking
Rupert (60smods) :confused: :frowning: :cry:

hi there I only passed on 8/10 and have to turn work down. I signed for 3 agencies and at least 2 ring me every day. Have you tried Driver Hire they seem very popular with us new drivers but pay a bit less.
hope this helps

Sorry to tell you this Rupert but short of a very lucky break, you’ll have to go the agency route.

Hi Rupert, I have to agree with Conor’s advice TBH mate.
jc69817, Is also spot-on IMHO. It might seem like a bit of a gamble, but the trick was always to sign with more than one agency. The idea then is to keep your head down, work and gain experience at several places, then wait for the offers to come your way. Whilst you’re out doing that, you’ll meet other drivers and plug in to the grapevine :wink:

:smiley: Thanks Lads.
We do have a Driver hire place a few miles away.
Rupert

Don’t know you’re age Rupert, but if you are under 25 you may have to shop around a bit before you find someone willing to give you a break.
This because many insurers stipulate min. age 25.

Mate, you would give up a cushy number like the Royal Mail ■■ I did !! 16 months ago and have regretted it every day since.Am counting down the months until I can re apply.
You say you cannot get a driving job with RM? Why is that? No vacancies? Not enough seniority?Do you work in a mail centre ? If not have you enquired about moving to one even on something other than driving duties to get your foot in the door?

:wink:
Hi - I work at a delivery Office - down the road from Gatwick mail centre.
They sya they are not taking on Drivers ! Getting rid of a few.
I work as a Rural Postie - Floater - Vx Combo 7yrs now.
We have around 280 staff and I am 226 on the list - Not been there 20 yrs to get to the top of the list.
I have rang the network manager and Gatwick mail centre and said I would work with-in an hours drive of home.
I have applied for a few jobs and hope to visit the Driver hire place and find out “Whats Wot”.
Cheers Rupert