is this discrimination??

trying to gain class 1 work but failing miserably. spoke to several agencies and the first question is always how long have you had class 1 licence for?? When I reply since JULY 09 the answer is the same we need 2 years of holding licence due to our insurance. So based on that if after 2 years and 1 day i apply i should get the job even without experience and be an even bigger risk to the insurane due to not driving that class vehicle for 2 years.Surely this is DISCRIMINATION to the newly qualified. I have proven i can drive safely that class of vehicle and hold the same licence as a person of 30 years experience.
If i was asian or coloured or some other ethnic persuasion then I could shout DISCRIMINATION. but cos im white and newly qualified i got to ■■■■ it up and make do. :imp:

mate youve proved you have past the test
exp his by yourself blind side reversing how to couple up to a trailer dropped to low reversing on to tight bays strapping roping loads down
proper use of gear box after 18 yrs of hgv driving i still ask of things iam not sure about unit trailer load worth in acesss of a 150 grand thats where the experience comes in

Unfortunately, rather like applying for credit or trying to lose your virginity nobody wants to be your first! Although I can only comment on my class 2 situation, once someone has given you a chance on the bendies the other agencies will be quite happy to let you loose with someone elses artics. Two years experience is just what they say to everyone. I’m sure they will be flexable when you have some experience.

Are you that unhappy at Beers? The agency I use are nagging me to do my class 1 and say there will be no problem giving me a start once I have passed the test. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen but I will forward a name and number if you want, but remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and if you are getting a regular income of Beers then is it worth sacrificing that for 2 or 3 days a week driving artics?

Good luck mate and don’t get too downhearted!

The agencies are not discriminating as they are being hampered by the insurers

You could try a discrimination case against the insurers - good luck !!

An agency manager told me, off the record, that the two year exclusion is a load of crap and is a myth agencies and employers put out to try and reduce the number of claims on their liability insurance. Employers will generally take an agencies word whether a driver is any good or not. Whether a driver will turn up on time and not give the client too much grief if more important than how long he/she has been qualified for. Maybe the bendy situation is different because as a class 2 driver all I drive are “big vans”.

I have done some class 1 work at iceland and somerfield on the agency and downtons adhoc so not a complete virgin.
true i am fortunate to have a class 2 job that is permenant but i want to aspire and drive class 1 ultimatly tankers. I know i am on the bottom rung of a very tall ladder but just cant seem to catch a break. sure blind side reversing is hard but when you do it every day it becomes easier. its just technique. all class 1 drivers had to start somewhere. :frowning:

ROG:

but are they. or are they advertising false jobs or trying to get drivers to sign on their books. went after a job on supermarkets with an agency in middlewich they said couldnt drive for them but they had an office in warrington so they would get them to call me . still waiting for the call!! :imp:

Middlewich is a hell of a long way to commute! Is it worth it?

i think so. if it gets me experience. its only an hour away. :smiley:

briandavies158:

ROG:

but are they. or are they advertising false jobs or trying to get drivers to sign on their books. went after a job on supermarkets with an agency in middlewich they said couldnt drive for them but they had an office in warrington so they would get them to call me . still waiting for the call!! :imp:

I was referring to the 2 year issue and not the jobs issue

stand more chance of throwing a snow ball at the sun.

If you don’t mind travelling…

jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailj … =ECC/21840

Remember… THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TWO YEAR EXCLUSION!

Warren T. Claim:
Remember… THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TWO YEAR EXCLUSION!

but companies and agencies may be resticted by their insurers who say that they will not insure a LGV driver with less than 2 years experience or have held the licence for 2 years
Some insurers will not insure LGV drivers under the age of 25

You cannot blame the companies or agencies if the insurers are giving these type of restrictions

The way forward here is to tackle the insurers

cheers mate i am registered with DCR that is their office in swinton. they do alot on the skem ind estates. Did a stint with Kammac for them before i landed my job now. :smiley: ,

I use three agencies and out of ALL of their clients only one of them wont use me because I have only had my license a year.

Put it this way… If someone has been on an agencies books driving 7.5 tonners for a while with no trouble and then gets their class 2 do you think the agency would have any hesitation on sending them straight out on a class 2 job? Do you think the agency would rather give a class 2 job to someone who has just walked in off the street who happens to of had their license for two years? Be honest in your answer!

briandavies158:
cheers mate i am registered with DCR that is their office in swinton. they do alot on the skem ind estates. Did a stint with Kammac for them before i landed my job now. :smiley: ,

Then remind them who you are and go for it! I expect a drink for the lead… :laughing:

the way i see it from my experience, i signed with loads of agencies as class 2. when the work started coming in i noticed that 3 wher regular i built a reputation with them. now here is the tricky bit, i had occasion with one of the three to turn them down at short notice cos i was offered a longer working stint with another. up to that point we had a good relationship. then work dried up from them. fickle or what.■■ as for your question. personally i think they should choose the newly qualified class 2 driver cos he is fresh and no bad habbits. as you are no doubt aware 7.5 ton drivers can be a bit erratic at times due to the nippyness of theur trucks. some may say they will bring that habbit across to class 2. I am basing my opinion on the c1 drivers i have seen since driving class 1 and 2 . For those c1 drivers who have converted to class 2 they now realise it is different and most of them have lost their bad habbits.just my opinion not casting aspersions or tarring everybody with the same brush.

Warren T. Claim:

briandavies158:

Then remind them who you are and go for it! I expect a drink for the lead… :laughing:

no probs i will find you and have a drink for you. :smiley:

Agencies can be your best friend when they need you but on the other hand they can be total tossers when they feel like it. One fell out of his pram when I turned down a job and shouted “YOU’D BE NOTHING WITHOUT ME!!! I MADE YOU!” Needless to say if the ripper was on day release he would get a phone call before me…

thought you where working out of warrington on the appleton thorne estate??